LRO: Re: Re: French car

From: Frank Elson (frankelson@felson.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2001 - 15:17:50 EDT

    Marin writes: >>>corrugated scout car things, not unlike
    > the flat-sided VW that was based on the German WWII scout car. This
    > thing was not nearly as substantial, and it was in essence, a re-bodied
    > 2CV. They were all painted pink with a fringed canopy<<

     the Citroen Mehari I remember them all over the South of France for a
    year or so - Citroen's answer to the Mini-Moke. ISTR a 4x4 version...

    >>>didn't Citroen team
    > up with Maserati to produce a performance version of the DS? Maybe with
    > a Maserati engine in the Citroen body? <<<

    That was the Citroen SM. Citroen designed body (not the same as the DS
    Pallas) Maserati engine. Superb vehicle but it rusted away very quickly
    (like the Lancia Beta).

    >>>these small sports car things. They looked, as I recall, sort of like
    > streamlined versions of an Austin Healey Sprite, the rounder bugeye model,
    although
    > these things didn't have google-eyed headlights. But they were powered by
    > relatively large motorcycle engine with (if memory serves) two horizontal
    cylinders.
    > Or maybe it was a vertical or slanted twin. Anyway, it was a twin. The
    engine was
    > mounted up front under the hood in the conventional position. It might
    have had
    > chain drive to the rear wheels. These cars
    > had manufacturer's names, but I can't recall for the life of me what they
    were.
    > They were both silver or gray, for whatever that's worth. I think they
    were British,
    > but again I simply can't recall. Age, you know.....
    > (They weren't Morgan three-wheelers, I know for sure what those look
    like.)<<<

    Sounds like the Berkeley. Small time manufacturer only one step up from kit
    car manufacturers. Gave Colin Chapman's early Lotii a run for their money on
    the road. A friend of mine put a Mini engine in one, it went like sh*t off a
    shovel but the cornering was out.

    Best Cheers

    Frank
         "(o)======(o)" Bronze Green 110 CSW