Subject: LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * V1 #414

From: [email-masked] (LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * *)
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 01:24:15 -0400

LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * Tuesday, June 19 2001 Volume 01 : Number 414

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 08:58:41 -0400
From: Bill Adams <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Pinzgauer test drive...

I just happened to be in Flowery Branch GA visiting relatives and had
the opportunity to visit with Sean at Euro-truck Importers. He carries
Mogs and Pinzies and a few military VW Things, along with spares and a
few trailers. It was blistering under the midday Georgia sun and Sarah
and I, on the bike and in our leathers, were about to collapse when Sean
appeared with the keys to the Pinz. 
What a hoot. Al I can say is that I now really, really like Pinzgauers!
For those in the dark a Pinzgauer is a military vehicle similar in
appearance to a 101 LR, but a bit smaller.
I comes with a 90 HP air cooled (mostly Porsche) four cylinder engine.
This is coupled to a transfer case that drives a modular central drive
tube. At each axle there is a locking differential assembly that
connects to the wheels via CV jointed portal axles. The ground clearance
is excellent.
On the road the acceleration is car like and the engine is smooth and
quiet. The driving position is right up front and the visibility is
excellent, like a VW Transporter. The gearbox is fully synchromesh, so
no missed shifts. Braking was very good with its large finned drums.
Steering was quite sure, but a load would have made it more sure-footed.
The springs tend to push the axles down so that the truck runs on the
outside edge of the tires. Interior appointments are zero. 
Unfortunately, the drive train is very noisy with a very whiny gear
noise from straight cut gears. I suppose this could be abated with
heavier synth lubes and a big thick cattle mat in the bed.
The bed is huge and the side seats flop inward to form a diamond plate
cargo bed.
Body construction is all steel, but on these early seventies vintage
trucks, there was little rust. They all are heavily undercoated. The
muffler seems to be the soft spot as all of them were welded up here or
there.
The soft top is made of synthetic material, fits well and wraps far
enough down so that it keeps water out. A continuous rubber bungee keeps
it flat and it doesn't flap in the wind at speed. Hard tops are
available.
My personal fondness is for the radio body or K model which has five
doors.
There is a six by six also which is slightly longer (a little slower and
a little heavier). I suppose that you could make an 10x10 if you wanted
to by simply adding more spacers and axle assemblies!
Anyway, Pinzgauers are very fun, not expensive and easy to live with. A
good choice to augment the Rover collection.
- -- 
Bill Adams
3D & Motion Graphics Design Director
International Broadcasting Bureau
Washington, D.C.
202-205-9638
[email-masked]

'66 Land Rover 109 SW Diesel
'81 GoldWing
'69 Le Sabre Convertible
'63 Pearson Vanguard
"Practicing the ancient art of ren-ching"

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 09:25:51 -0400
From: Keith Tanner <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Cleaning sensors?

I need to clean out my oil pressure sender (for the light) as well as 
possible. Suggestions for solvents? I don't want to destroy anything...

Keith

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 07:28:03 -0600
From: "Kirk Hillman" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Chevy V6

I second Bill's questions!  :-)  I have a few more though:

1)    What did this conversion cost you?
2)    What complications arose?
3)    If someone hasn't already asked, are there pictures somewhere?

Bill,
"1) What does the control module do on a carburetted engine?"

    My guess would be ignition.

Kirk

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 10:19:49 EDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: LRO: Rear Axle Question

On Sat, 16 Jun 01 08:37:48 -0700 TeriAnn Wakeman wrote:

<<Normally the axles just slide out.  It could be the axle is just starting 
to twist.  When you get it out check it carefully.  If the axle has been 
on for more than 40K miles or if you have been using the LR hard it may 
be time to replace the pair of axles.>>

Thanks for the suggestions. The shaft was extracted the next day by using 
wooden blocks, shims and the bolt that holds the axle onto the driving 
member.  I get more creative in solving these things after a good night 
sleep.  I think this shaft must have been a QC reject, as the splines were an 
interference fit with the differential wheel There was also a slight twist 
just outside the area where the splines are supported.  Not the sort of thing 
that to go back in the car.

The oil leak was understandable when I saw the seal and race.  Both are to be 
replaced.  Now comes the stinky task of burning the oil off of the brake 
shoes while waiting for the slave cylinder to be sleeved.  

As Allah is my witness this Land Rover will make it to the rally in Ouray.

Paul Donohue
1965 Land Rover 109
Denver

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 09:16:14 -0700
From: "Faure, Marin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: Freewheel hubs

Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 00:47:34 EDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: LRO: Re: Freewheel hubs

>I know that engaging the free wheel hubs occasionally is a Good Thing for 
keeping the oil circulating in the front axle, but why not just engage 
4-wheel drive occasionally? Let the transfer case do the work. Press the 
little old yellow lever from time to time and then you don't have to leave 
the warm cosy comfort of your Series heated cabin.

Press the yellow lever with the hubs disengaged and the vehicle moving 
and you're going to get a really big surprise, followed by a really big 
repair bill.  But if you engage 4wd stopped, and then drive around some, 
I suppose that would accomplish the same thing as locking the hubs in 
terms of lubricating the swivel bushings.  However, I don't know what 
running the front driveline at speed for a while (you have to go fast enough 
to splash the heavy lube oil around) would do if it isn't connected to 
the wheels.  Maybe nothing, maybe it would cause undo wear or vibration 
somewhere in the driveline.  Maybe someone with a better understanding of 
the loads, gears, bearings, etc. than I has a more informed opinion.  Personally, 
I have never found it a terrible hardship to reach down and give the hubs a twist 
every now and then.  But I realize that in this day and age of couch potatoes, 
turning a set of locking hubs could take a lot of planning and several weeks of 
strenuous exercise before attempting.  (By the way, to see the absolute 
ultimate in laziness, watch "The Royle Family" on BBC or BBC America).
___________________________
C. Marin Faure
  (original owner)
  1973 Land Rover Series III-88
  1991 Range Rover Vogue SE
  Seattle

------------------------------

Date: 18 Jun 2001 10:10:19 -0700
From: Bryan Hoult <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Chevy V6

The suggestion of this engine combination with the standard IIa transmission is odd to me.  The torque capability of the 4.3 is in the same range as the Chev 4.1 straight six, albeit not in the same rpm range.  Under stressful working conditions, I would expect the 4.3 to puke the tranny and or axles at a good rate.  Don't get me wrong, I love the 4.3 (3/4 a 350 can't be a bad thing) but it looks like a IIa tranny and rover diff munching machine to me.  Perhaps with a chev tranny and a Salisbury? 

Bryan
62 88
70 109 "Genie"

On Sun, 17 June 2001, "William J. Rice" wrote:

> 
> Rob,
> 2 questions re. the conversion:
> 
> 1) What does the control module do on a carburetted engine?
>
> 2) Did you have to do anything w/ the steering box?  If no, is it because
>  yours is RHD? Or do the hugger headers not foul the stock LHD steering
> box?
> 
> 3) OK, so I thought of a third:  what kind of fuel mileage do you get?
> 
> This is most interesting to me since I already have the Scotty's adapter
> and sure wouldn't mind a whole bunch of extra power.
> 
> bill
> 
> 
> On Sun, 17 Jun 2001 22:07:12 -0500 car4doc <[email-masked]> writes:
> > Hi All,
> > Well here is a list of parts used in my conversion to a 4.3 chevy in 
> > my
> > 109 LR
> > I am very happy with my conversion.
> > Hope it helps someone else do the same conversion.
> > Rob Davis_Chicago
> > 
> > Distributor  1985 86 astro HEI
> >  Ignition 1976 chevy v8 CBE4P control MODULE
> > 
> > Bushing napa  615-1024  id changed to .878  +0005
> > 
> > engine 1990 4x4 S10  4.3 v6 chevy
> > sanders headers block huggers
> > Throttle cable
> > 
> > flywheel 1987 firebird or camaro  12 3/4 dia.
> > 
> > Starter 1987 camaro or firebird
> > clutch 9.5 land rover
> > 
> > Scotties trans adapter
> > studs 3/8
> > 
> > edelbrock intake
> > edelbrock carb
> > 
> > 

________________________________________________
PeoplePC:  It's for people. And it's just smart. 
http://www.peoplepc.com 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 09:45:21 -0700
From: "Rich Williams II" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: Demise of BBList at intranets.com

So does this mean the list is going to disappear?

That can't be - not until my 109 is finished!

Well, maybe I'd get something done at the office instead of doing LR stuff
;-) But hey, waht fun is there in that?

Rich

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Trevor Easton <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>;
<[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>;
<[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>;
<[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>;
<[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>;
<[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>;
<[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>;
<[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>;
<[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>;
<[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>;
<[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>;
<[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>;
<[email-masked]>; <rov
Sent: Friday, June 15, 2001 6:26 AM
Subject: Demise of BBList at intranets.com

Sadly our term at Intranets may be coming to an end. The free subscription
is due to expire June 30th and, unless we get a response to my request that
we retain our free status as a special case, the site will be closed.
I will post information at www.hwcn.org/~ag278/BBLIst to keep you informed
and I will save the site data so the list can continue somewhere.

Regards and see you all somewhere on the net
Trevor

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 20:33:36 -1000
From: "Hope Peter" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: Re: RR's and getting ready.

Ohhhhh the OBP.
I was thinking British Pacific.  I thought may be a group was planning a
cross country trip and was going to swing up through Canada to get to
California.

> OVLR Birthday Party.
>
> >>> [email-masked] 06/17/01 03:04PM >>>
> BP???
>
>
>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 20:50:44 -1000
From: "Hope Peter" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Chevy V6

>Perhaps with a chev tranny and a Salisbury?
>

My thoughts exactly.  So are there anyother transfercases out there that
have front and rear outputs on the right hand side?

Pete

------------------------------

Date: 18 Jun 2001 14:10:55 -0500
From: george kase <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Fitting rear crossmember?

Hi...
well, I finally cut my replacement crossmember to fit the rear of my
64 Series IIa 88" rear chasis and the bolt holes on the five tabs to 
support the rear tub don't line up...anyone else have this problem? 
Did you just drill out the tub to match? any suggestions? Apparantly
their (Rovers North) other unit in stock also has mis-drilled tabs...
thanks
George Kase
Chicago

------------------------------

Date: 18 Jun 2001 14:13:04 -0500
From: george kase <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: 1990 Defender info

Can anyone suggest a source of used parts for a former military
Defender 90, 1990 vintage, as well as manuals or literature? Any mail-lists
for such a vehicle?
Thanks,
George Kase
Chicago

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 13:12:05 -0600
From: "Kirk Hillman" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Chevy V6

I found this interesting site that has a disproportionate number of
references to Land Rover.  Has anyone heard of them... dealt with them?  If
you look around their site they have all kinds of stuff from adaptors to
light stalks.

http://www.giloeng.com/adapterparts.htm

Kirk

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 16:39:49 -0400
From: William L Leacock <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Axle shaft

>1965 109, I have removed the reake shoes, hub assemblyand brake backing 
>plate, but the axle shaft is proving difficult to remove.  

There are several alternatives. First, if you remove the drive flange
then the hub can be removed whilst the axle is still in place.  This is
not recommended however because one day you will still have to replace
it, particularly on a 109.
 Another simple technique is to slacken the axle nut, remove the drive
flange screws, slide tha drive flange a few millimeteres from the hub,
fit something solid in the gap and use the axle nut as a jacking mdium,
then slacken off the nut, fit something thicker in the gap and repeat the
process until the shaft is free. Then examine the ends closely for twist
and replace as appropriate.

Regards from Western New York State

  Bill Leacock.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 16:56:30 -0400
From: William L Leacock <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Radiators

  Rick writes.  
Cheaper than most quality
aluminum cores and the added benefit here is that it's made of copper.
Impale the radiator with a tree branch or an antler (yuck) and put a nice
hole in the radiator and it can be welded right up with ease compared to
the
Al units.

You are mistaken Rick, a copper? brass radiator cannot be welded up with
ease. Typical brass tubes are around 0.004 inches thick (0,1mm) and
welding this material is beyond the capabilty of most welders. ( I know I
have made thousands of miles of the stuff, the welder alone is a quarter
of a million dollars)  Many brass tubes are made by the lockseam process,
the tube joint is made by soldering, as opposed to HF welding. This too
complicates the repair process.  Original LR radiators were made with
thicker material, possibly 0.008 inches in the fifties. 
Even soldering is very difficult on this thickness of material, since
typically it is very difficult to clean and the heat is dissapated
rapidly, and when it is overdone the holes siimply get bigger.
 On the other hand typical aluminum tubes (which I am responsible for the
manufacture of over a hundred thousand miles a year) are of the order
0.012 inches(0,03 mm) and a very competant  TIG welder can repair tube
leaks. Many of the OEMs do this.
For both types of radiator epoxy resins are suitable providing the area
of the leak is cleaned. Silicone RTV works very well if the area is
clean.

Regards from Western New York State

  Bill Leacock.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 14:04:00 -0700
From: SJH <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: zenith rebuild tips

 I have the green bible, have a  rebuild kit on the way but I've never   
rebuilt a carb before.  I'd appreciate any tips on what to look for,   
tricky bits, etc.  I've already been told to check the float for a leak.   
 I've seen the warpage problem  and the glass plate /emery   
paper/annealling fix mentioned but have to admit the details are foggy,   
so if someone can point me to a web page or give me a quick run down of   
that procedure I'd be grateful.
Simon H.  

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 19:21:03 +0100
From: "Frank Elson" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO:  Guinness

blimey,
 I've done a lot more than that - had a two pager about my heart condition
last week (complete with pics of my heart, the one's Geoff's seen), and one
about Red Rose Forest; the Huddersfield Narrow Canal; digging up a garden
for a little girl who disappeared during the war; the civil war thing.. am
currently working on a series about unsolved murders...
they work me hard!!
 but the web page people are on another planet...

Best Cheers

Frank
    +--+--+--+
     I !__|  [_]|_\___
     I ____|"_|"__|_ | /     B791 PKV
     "(o)======(o)"    Bronze Green 110 CSW

- ----- Original Message -----
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, June 18, 2001 12:58 AM
Subject: Re: LRO: Guinness

> On Sun, 17 Jun 2001, Frank Elson wrote:
>
> :Paul asks if the Bolton Evening News has a website.
> : Yes, it's
> :www.thisisbolton.co.uk
> : but I dunno if they have an archive with past articles on - in fact,
I've
> :never bothered looking at it myself (on the grounds that I should have
seen
> :it all in the real or written it...)
>
> I looked, and a cursory search only turns up a story by you about the pub
of
> the year.  (Frank in a pub?  I'm shocked!)
>
> David
>
> --
> [email-masked]
> Bipedalism is only a fad.
>
>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 20:34:43 +0100
From: "Frank Elson" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: Re: Freewheel hubs

Marin writes:>>>By the way, to see the absolute 
> ultimate in laziness, watch "The Royle Family" on BBC or BBC America).<<<

isn't that brilliant!
What series are you on over there, has the baby arrived?

Best Cheers

Frank
    +--+--+--+            
     I !__|  [_]|_\___   
     I ____|"_|"__|_ | /     B791 PKV 
     "(o)======(o)"    Bronze Green 110 CSW

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 17:34:54 -0400
From: "RON WARD" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: zenith rebuild tips

I rebuilt the Solex twice and got it right on the second shot at it so let me make a few suggestions that may prove helpful in the Zenith world.

You should get a new set of flat seals and ring gaskets.  Use them all but be careful to match the correct size ring gasket with the right jet.  Loose equals leaks.  So far as the flat seals are concerned, I know on the Solex there is one way to fit them and it isn't always obvious (hence I had to rebuild twice).  

I actually used the 210 grit sand paper trick to flatten out the mating surfaces of the top and bottom halves of my Solex.  I took out the sliding window of my drivers door top and laid it flat on my bench, taped the paper down and did some figure-8's while ensuring the surfaced were square to the paper.  Worked fine.

Lastly, button everything up tight, but not too tight and install it, crank it and let it run a while.  The seals need to soak up the fuel a bit it seems and then they will seal off nicely.  I let mine run 10 minutes at idle then set the mixture and idle screws like I wanted them and that's it.

Good luck with it.

Ron Ward

>>> [email-masked] 06/18/01 05:04PM >>>
 I have the green bible, have a  rebuild kit on the way but I've never   
rebuilt a carb before.  I'd appreciate any tips on what to look for,   
tricky bits, etc.  I've already been told to check the float for a leak.   
 I've seen the warpage problem  and the glass plate /emery   
paper/annealling fix mentioned but have to admit the details are foggy,   
so if someone can point me to a web page or give me a quick run down of   
that procedure I'd be grateful.
Simon H.  

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 14:36:52 -0700
From: "Rich Williams II" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: Radiators

Bill, you surely know more about this than I do.  I am just relating what I
was told by the shop owner who did my radiator.  He's been doing radiators
for many decades (fixin' to retire this summer) and all the local vintage
car owners swear by his work.  Anyway, I think his point was that these
specific MX cores were easier to repair than the typical Al cores.  Maybe
his point was "compared to".  But who knows, I know less than zilch about
welding, so I'm just going on what I've been told.

Rich

- ----- Original Message -----
From: William L Leacock <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, June 18, 2001 1:56 PM
Subject: LRO: Radiators

  Rick writes.
Cheaper than most quality
aluminum cores and the added benefit here is that it's made of copper.
Impale the radiator with a tree branch or an antler (yuck) and put a nice
hole in the radiator and it can be welded right up with ease compared to
the
Al units.

You are mistaken Rick, a copper? brass radiator cannot be welded up with
ease. Typical brass tubes are around 0.004 inches thick (0,1mm) and
welding this material is beyond the capabilty of most welders. ( I know I
have made thousands of miles of the stuff, the welder alone is a quarter
of a million dollars)  Many brass tubes are made by the lockseam process,
the tube joint is made by soldering, as opposed to HF welding. This too
complicates the repair process.  Original LR radiators were made with
thicker material, possibly 0.008 inches in the fifties.
Even soldering is very difficult on this thickness of material, since
typically it is very difficult to clean and the heat is dissapated
rapidly, and when it is overdone the holes siimply get bigger.
 On the other hand typical aluminum tubes (which I am responsible for the
manufacture of over a hundred thousand miles a year) are of the order
0.012 inches(0,03 mm) and a very competant  TIG welder can repair tube
leaks. Many of the OEMs do this.
For both types of radiator epoxy resins are suitable providing the area
of the leak is cleaned. Silicone RTV works very well if the area is
clean.

Regards from Western New York State

  Bill Leacock.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 18:34:05 -0500
From: car4doc <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Chevy V6

Hi Bill,
The control module is for the HEI distributor which was used because I
did not want to install a computer or fuel injection in the LR.   I did
not have to change the steering because it was RHD but it should fit
into the LHD frame with nothing much of a change at all with the block
hugger headers.  I have not had the chance yet to get a mileage check
but it pulls great at highway speeds & 2500 RPM.  The engine should
provide about 220 HP as built,  & is about 5 inches shorter then the
Chevy 350.  I did not have to change to or modify the Radiator support.
THe stock radiator seems to be cooling right after I got the air out of
the engine block which was the result of the rebuilding the engine.
Rob Davis_chicago

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 17:28:43 -0600
From: "Jim Hall" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Chevy V6

Toyota JF40's do. I don't know about the other models though.

Hope Peter wrote:
> 
> >Perhaps with a chev tranny and a Salisbury?
> >
> 
> My thoughts exactly.  So are there anyother transfercases out there that
> have front and rear outputs on the right hand side?
> 
> Pete

- -- 
Jim Hall
1966 88" Elephant Chaser
http://www.users.qwest.net/~jimfoo
"You know, I never really damaged my Rover 'till I started wheeling 
with Jim." Mitch Stockdale

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 18:50:06 -0500
From: car4doc <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Chevy V6

Kirk,
There were a few issues I had to find a way to convert the engine from
automatic to stick flywheel. Drilling the flywheel to fit the LR 9.5
pressure plate & making the crankshaft bushing to fit the LR trans
mainshaft.   what I expected to be hard was making the engine mounts.
Which used mid fifties engine front mount brackets & LR engine rubber
mounts.  I made a cross member with 1 1/4 sq tube which cleared the
original mounts which are still in the frame.
The biggest issue was cutting the bulkhead about 1 3/4 on the left & 1
1/2 on the right side for clearance even those modifications were made
with a 4 1/4 cutoff wheel in the grinder & some welding pop rivets could
have been used but I welded it.
 Yes there are pictures which I can send off list.
Rob Davis_chicago

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 18:57:11 -0500
From: car4doc <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Chevy V6

Peter,
The plan was to detune the 4.3 engine down to about 180 HP for longer
life. The trans on any car can be destroyed if you abuse it.  I drive
highways & plan to do little rock climbing with the LR.  My 109 has the
extra weight of the camper conversion (DORMOBILE) as well.  I expect the
stock Trans to last well with care.  I also have a overdrive which I
expect will be an issue at some point but which gives me a great gear
selection choices.
Rob Davis_chicago

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 20:17:28 -0400
From: "Scott Wickham Jr." <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: RR's and getting ready  II

  I got my rad back from the rad shop.  Verdict:  Not clogged.  But, leaking
at 3 corners.  In the truck it goes.  While we're filling the rad (I pulled
the thermostat by the way.  Might put it back in later) I can see the water
flowing out the top tubes inside the rad.  So I'm thinking the water pump is
ok.  Bought new rad cap, one extra pound of pressure (up to 16lbs).  Drove
Lucy up a big, winding hill and the temp gauge is half way between the 2
little dots and the red.  When I got to the top and drove on the level a
little it cooled off some, leaning back toward the dots.  I'm going to run
it on the turnpike in a few minutes to see what she does.  Might put the
thermostat back in and run the same road again.  A friend said sometimes
with no thermo the water flows too fast and the truck will overheat.  So,
I'm off for a test drive.  Cross your fingers ;)

Scooter

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 13001 18:22:41 -0700
From: "Lonn Howard" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: French car

I bought a 1971 Citroen DS21.  Am I sick?  Do I need therapy?

anon
109 V8
RR County
Saab Turbo 'vert

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 21:13:53 -0400
From: "Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: French car

Lonn wailed:

I bought a 1971 Citroen DS21.  Am I sick?  Do I need therapy?

Yes, and most definitely. Dump that piece of French wierdness before it
eats your soul.....

                    aj"French but hate the cars...."r

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 08:26:08 +0700
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: LRO: French car

Not really, because I love also to some French cars and I drive it to be
enjoyed.
I have Citroen BX 19GTi 16valves, Peugeot 405 Mi16, Peugeot 605 3.0 V6 24valves,
Citroen 2CV, Citroen CX 2.5DTR and find some more to collect.

Rgds,
Abdi Siregar

"Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus" <[email-masked]>@Works.Team.Net on 19/06/2001
09:13:53

Please respond to [email-masked]

Sent by:  [email-masked]

To:   [email-masked]
cc:    (bcc: Abdi Siregar/TPJ)

Subject:  Re: LRO: French car

Lonn wailed:

I bought a 1971 Citroen DS21.  Am I sick?  Do I need therapy?

Yes, and most definitely. Dump that piece of French wierdness before it
eats your soul.....

                    aj"French but hate the cars...."r

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jun 01 17:55:18 -0700
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Re: Re: Freewheel hubs

>>By the way, to see the absolute 
>> ultimate in laziness, watch "The Royle Family" on BBC or BBC America).<<<
>
>isn't that brilliant!
>What series are you on over there, has the baby arrived?

They just announced the birth of Elizabeth last month.  So I think we are 
fairly current.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 20:51:09 -0500 (CDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: French car

On Thu, 18 Jun 13001, Lonn Howard wrote:

:I bought a 1971 Citroen DS21.  Am I sick?  Do I need therapy?

Clearly.  The first step to recovery is to give me the saab.

:
:anon
:109 V8
:RR County
:Saab Turbo 'vert
:
:
:

- -- 
[email-masked]
Bipedalism is only a fad.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 20:53:22 -0500 (CDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: French car

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus wrote:

:
:Lonn wailed:
:
:I bought a 1971 Citroen DS21.  Am I sick?  Do I need therapy?
:
:Yes, and most definitely. Dump that piece of French wierdness before it
:eats your soul.....
:

Was it someone on this list who said something like "I can't decide which
are more perverse, French or British cars, so I always try to have one of
each."?

- -- 
[email-masked]
Bipedalism is only a fad.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 19:25:00 -0700
From: Rob Modica <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Back from Greece

Hi Everyone;

I have a Land Rover sightings report after Ann and I have
returned from two weeks in Greece.

Athens has lots of Discos, Defenders and Freelanders.  I
missed a great shot of a black, topless Freelander with a
couple of guys in it driving around Athens looking for
girls.  If it hadn't been Athens I would say it was Southern
California.  By the time I got the camera out they were gone.

Mykonos had a red D-90 that we saw everywhere.  The guy must
have owned a taverna near our hotel because it was parked on
the street nearby.

Santorini had several Freelanders.

Notice the lack of Series vehicles -- until Crete.  

Saw several Discos, Defenders and Freelanders in Irkalio. 
On the road to Knossos I caught a glimpse of a Series 109 as
it pulled into a farmer's yard just after we rounded a blind
corner with no place to turn around. Missed it. Finally in
Hora Sfakion on the south coast I spotted the roof rack and
alpine window of a Series IIA 109" 3-door parked behind a
house.  This time I went to see it and got a good photo. It
was newly painted and in very good shaped.  The back bed was
filled with tools and such so it is still a working Land
Rover. 

And lastly in Chania I saw an orange Series III pickup that
belongs to the Greek power authority.  They still use Series
II trucks for government service.  A testimony to longevity
and reliability.

In five trips to Greece I have only seen one Series I and it
was a very abused 80" parked under a little shed near
Delphi. 

Rob

        Arizona Land Rover Owners
Rob Modica     '51 Series I  80"  16136629
Tucson AZ      '60 Series II 109" 16400620
[email-masked]   '94 Disco 5 spd
   A Land Rover owner/driver since 1973

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 22:34:12 -0400
From: Jeff Berg <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Tomb Raider, very very little LR action but lots o  Angeline Jolie

<http://www.tombraider.landrover.com/> features an interesting FLASH 
piece w/ details on Lara's ride along with a desktop toy, and 
wallpaper.  Saw the movie tonight--there was actually more Land Rover 
then I thought from the various posts. Not a whole bunch mind you, 
but more then a glimpse.

As for Lady Croft, all I can say is "what a suspension."

I enjoyed it.

jeff
- -- 
==
  Jeffrey A. Berg     Purple Shark Media        Rowayton, CT
                     [email-masked]
                      ==================
	My garden is full of papayas and mangos.
	My dance card is filled with merengues and tangos.
	Taste for the good life,
	I can see it no other way.
		--Jimmy Buffett, Lone Palm (live version)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 23:03:14 EDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: LRO: French car, World Record

- --part1_13.17352aad.28601af2_boundary
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

In a message dated 6/18/01 6:31:57 PM Pacific Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> 
> Not really, because I love also to some French cars and I drive it to be
> enjoyed.
> 

I apologize for the HTML, I'm changing providers soon.

I'd like to claim the Distance leaping Peugeot, Land Speed Record.

I encountered a wheel and tire on the freeway about ten years ago. It was 
rolling toward me, and there was no option but to hit it. I braked as well as 
I could, and hit it the rogue tire going about 55 mph. It did not roll or 
bounce away, but became trapped on the underside of the car, and rolled out 
the back, still standing. As it passed under the car, the end result was that 
the car shot skyward. I performed a long arc with a mid height of about 5 
feet to the bottom of the car. As a licensed pilot, when the nose began to 
come down, I pulled at the steering wheel, to stall the aircraft onto the 
runway, and to get the speed down. Peugeot has not had the foresight to equip 
their cars properly, and all my pulling was to no avail... When a Peugeot 
lands nose first on concrete, it makes an awful sound. The car went into the 
air about $4,000 and came down at $80. It made it home, as a Land Rover 
would, but was not particularly drivable. It left a nice tire print down the 
centerline of the car, and the "landing" left every single body panel bent.

LR content, friends of mine grew up in Africa, and swear by Peugeot 300 
series vehicles as they put over 300K on theirs on dirt only. The floor pan 
was worn out at the end, and they sold it and got another, rather than 
continually telling the kids to be careful not to put their feet down at 
speed.

- --part1_13.17352aad.28601af2_boundary
Content-Type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3 FAMILY="SERIF" FACE="Book Antiqua" LANG="0">In a message dated 6/18/01 6:31:57 PM Pacific Daylight Time, 
<BR>[email-masked] writes:
<BR>
<BR></FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">
<BR><BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">
<BR>Not really, because I love also to some French cars and I drive it to be
<BR>enjoyed.
<BR></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR></FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SERIF" FACE="Book Antiqua" LANG="0">
<BR>I apologize for the HTML, I'm changing providers soon.
<BR>
<BR>I'd like to claim the Distance leaping Peugeot, Land Speed Record.
<BR>
<BR>I encountered a wheel and tire on the freeway about ten years ago. It was 
<BR>rolling toward me, and there was no option but to hit it. I braked as well as 
<BR>I could, and hit it the rogue tire going about 55 mph. It did not roll or 
<BR>bounce away, but became trapped on the underside of the car, and rolled out 
<BR>the back, still standing. As it passed under the car, the end result was that 
<BR>the car shot skyward. I performed a long arc with a mid height of about 5 
<BR>feet to the bottom of the car. As a licensed pilot, when the nose began to 
<BR>come down, I pulled at the steering wheel, to stall the aircraft onto the 
<BR>runway, and to get the speed down. Peugeot has not had the foresight to equip 
<BR>their cars properly, and all my pulling was to no avail... When a Peugeot 
<BR>lands nose first on concrete, it makes an awful sound. The car went into the 
<BR>air about $4,000 and came down at $80. It made it home, as a Land Rover 
<BR>would, but was not particularly drivable. It left a nice tire print down the 
<BR>centerline of the car, and the "landing" left every single body panel bent.
<BR>
<BR>LR content, friends of mine grew up in Africa, and swear by Peugeot 300 
<BR>series vehicles as they put over 300K on theirs on dirt only. The floor pan 
<BR>was worn out at the end, and they sold it and got another, rather than 
<BR>continually telling the kids to be careful not to put their feet down at 
<BR>speed.</FONT></HTML>

- --part1_13.17352aad.28601af2_boundary--

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 23:10:13 -0400
From: "Scott Wickham Jr." <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: RE: RR's and getting ready  II

  Road test done, verdict...she runs cool.  I'm leaving the thermostat out
but will put it in the tool box just in case.  I'm heading to Canada after
work tomorrow.  Me, Courtney, Lucy, and all my camping stuff.  I was so
wrapped up with the starter/radiator I almost forgot my spare tire.  I'll
see some of you when you get to Silver Lake.

 Oh CANada, blah blah blah blah,  blah blahhhhhhh ;)

Scooter

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 06:03:36 -1000
From: "Hope Peter" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Chevy V6

>  Yes there are pictures which I can send off list.
> Rob Davis_chicago
> 

I can post em to a web site if you send em my way
Pete 

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 00:21:02 -0400
From: "Bruce D. Fowler" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Molson LR commercial

- -----Original Message-----
From: David Scheidt

:Where's your sense of adventure?  I mean, really, just because one lousy
:drug-sniffing drug sniffing dog decides she liked me, I've got long hair,
:had what were suspicous answers to their questions ("How long have you been
:in Vancouver?" "Er, six hours?") they decided I was some sort of drug
kingpin.
:I mean, if I were going to smuggle drugs, would I really take the list of
:suspicous behaviors and make sure I met as many as possible?
:

Uncle Brian's Royal Mounted Tobacco police (on snowmobile no less)
made this boy peel down in Lac Megantic one February afternoon.
That was one of lifes little adventures I don't wish to repeat.
Bruce F.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 00:25:11 -0400
From: "Bruce D. Fowler" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Molson LR commercial

- -----Original Message-----
From: Alan Richer.
:
:Why Mr. Fowler, thank you for the compliment! I love being known as
:unsavoury.....8*)
:
Alan be nice..... or I won't share my Yukon Jack with you :-)

On another note..... How is Mr. Churchill's chassis project going?

Bruce F.

------------------------------

Date: 18 Jun 2001 22:00:47 -0700
From: Bryan Hoult <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: French car

Are you kidding?  There's not one us who doesn't wish we were you.....well perhaps a few more before the Citroen.

Bryan

On Mon, 18 June 2001, "Lonn Howard" wrote:

> 
> I bought a 1971 Citroen DS21.  Am I sick?  Do I need therapy?
> 
> anon
> 109 V8
> RR County
> Saab Turbo 'vert

________________________________________________
PeoplePC:  It's for people. And it's just smart. 
http://www.peoplepc.com 

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 15:19:26 +1000
From: Mark Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: RE: RE: RR's and getting ready  II

I have allways understood that the thermostat is to ensure the engine
reaches its optimum operating temperature by allowing the coolant to
circulate around the block , once the thermostat reaches the correct
temperature it opens to allow coolant to flow through the radiator and the
heater. I also seem to recall that if you are operating at higher altitudes
you need to install a differently rated thermostat 

Mark Sullivan
green rover 80  2 door
the green frog 

- -----Original Message-----
From: Scott Wickham Jr. [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, 19 June 2001 1:10 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: LRO: RE: RR's and getting ready II

  Road test done, verdict...she runs cool.  I'm leaving the thermostat out
but will put it in the tool box just in case.  I'm heading to Canada after
work tomorrow.  Me, Courtney, Lucy, and all my camping stuff.  I was so
wrapped up with the starter/radiator I almost forgot my spare tire.  I'll
see some of you when you get to Silver Lake.

 Oh CANada, blah blah blah blah,  blah blahhhhhhh ;)

Scooter

------------------------------

End of LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * V1 #414
**********************************************