Re: LRO: Molson LR commercial

From: Peter Ogilvie (konacoffee2@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 13:44:53 EDT

    Clean metal is easily handled with a sand blaster. Of course you end up
    with sand in everything within a 100 yards. Hardest part is brush painting
    the frame. Seems it took nearly a day to paint just the rear half of the
    frame with POR. Can't believe how many nooks and crannies that take forever
    to cover in paint. Another problem is getting compleat coverage. Even went
    to the trouble of using different colors
    for each coat and still missed covering in a number of out of the way
    places.

    I've got the same problem as you with getting things galvanized. Shipping
    would excede the new price of most of the pieces. Keep us informed as to
    how the stuff works. Zinc content means little if the stuff isn't bonded to
    the metal. Beauty of galvanizing is that it supposed makes a chemical bond
    between the steel and zinc so doesn't exfoliate and is self healing, to an
    extent. A long term survivability test of the material is essential data.
    Suggest you paint a couple of scrap pieces and then spray them with salt
    water solutions on a daily basis, leave fertilizer or other corrosive
    materials on some peices, and purposely scratch some pieces to bare metal to
    see how the pieces react to the above abuse.

    POR is great stuff and sticks tenaciously but my concern is how the stuff
    will react when its nicked. Will it contain the rust to the nicked area or
    will the rust continue under the surface hidden and protected by the super
    tough POR paint film?? In defence of POR, its nearly impossible to scratch.
      Outer paint coat on the rear crossmember was non UV reactive RustOleum.
    Had a hard time getting the tub to fit properly so kept trying to move it
    around, banging on things, etc. Since I was working by myself, hard to be
    careful and as I got more frustrated, my concern for the paint dropped.
    Ended up scraping off the black outer coat in a number of places but nowhere
    did it scrape through the grey POR undercoat.