Subject: LRO: Back from Greece

From: Rob Modica <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 19:25:00 -0700

Hi Everyone;

I have a Land Rover sightings report after Ann and I have
returned from two weeks in Greece.

Athens has lots of Discos, Defenders and Freelanders.  I
missed a great shot of a black, topless Freelander with a
couple of guys in it driving around Athens looking for
girls.  If it hadn't been Athens I would say it was Southern
California.  By the time I got the camera out they were gone.

Mykonos had a red D-90 that we saw everywhere.  The guy must
have owned a taverna near our hotel because it was parked on
the street nearby.

Santorini had several Freelanders.

Notice the lack of Series vehicles -- until Crete.  

Saw several Discos, Defenders and Freelanders in Irkalio. 
On the road to Knossos I caught a glimpse of a Series 109 as
it pulled into a farmer's yard just after we rounded a blind
corner with no place to turn around. Missed it. Finally in
Hora Sfakion on the south coast I spotted the roof rack and
alpine window of a Series IIA 109" 3-door parked behind a
house.  This time I went to see it and got a good photo. It
was newly painted and in very good shaped.  The back bed was
filled with tools and such so it is still a working Land
Rover. 

And lastly in Chania I saw an orange Series III pickup that
belongs to the Greek power authority.  They still use Series
II trucks for government service.  A testimony to longevity
and reliability.

In five trips to Greece I have only seen one Series I and it
was a very abused 80" parked under a little shed near
Delphi. 

Rob

        Arizona Land Rover Owners
Rob Modica     '51 Series I  80"  16136629
Tucson AZ      '60 Series II 109" 16400620
[email-masked]   '94 Disco 5 spd
   A Land Rover owner/driver since 1973