Subject: Re: LRO: Rear Axle Question

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 10:19:49 EDT

On Sat, 16 Jun 01 08:37:48 -0700 TeriAnn Wakeman wrote:

<<Normally the axles just slide out.  It could be the axle is just starting 
to twist.  When you get it out check it carefully.  If the axle has been 
on for more than 40K miles or if you have been using the LR hard it may 
be time to replace the pair of axles.>>

Thanks for the suggestions. The shaft was extracted the next day by using 
wooden blocks, shims and the bolt that holds the axle onto the driving 
member.  I get more creative in solving these things after a good night 
sleep.  I think this shaft must have been a QC reject, as the splines were an 
interference fit with the differential wheel There was also a slight twist 
just outside the area where the splines are supported.  Not the sort of thing 
that to go back in the car.

The oil leak was understandable when I saw the seal and race.  Both are to be 
replaced.  Now comes the stinky task of burning the oil off of the brake 
shoes while waiting for the slave cylinder to be sleeved.  

As Allah is my witness this Land Rover will make it to the rally in Ouray.

Paul Donohue
1965 Land Rover 109
Denver