Re: LRO: Chevy V6

From: Bryan Hoult (bhoult@peoplepc.com)
Date: Mon Jun 18 2001 - 13:10:19 EDT

    The suggestion of this engine combination with the standard IIa transmission is odd to me. The torque capability of the 4.3 is in the same range as the Chev 4.1 straight six, albeit not in the same rpm range. Under stressful working conditions, I would expect the 4.3 to puke the tranny and or axles at a good rate. Don't get me wrong, I love the 4.3 (3/4 a 350 can't be a bad thing) but it looks like a IIa tranny and rover diff munching machine to me. Perhaps with a chev tranny and a Salisbury?

    Bryan
    62 88
    70 109 "Genie"

    On Sun, 17 June 2001, "William J. Rice" wrote:

    > Rob,
    > 2 questions re. the conversion:
    >
    > 1) What does the control module do on a carburetted engine?
    >
    > 2) Did you have to do anything w/ the steering box? If no, is it because
    > yours is RHD? Or do the hugger headers not foul the stock LHD steering
    > box?
    >
    > 3) OK, so I thought of a third: what kind of fuel mileage do you get?
    >
    > This is most interesting to me since I already have the Scotty's adapter
    > and sure wouldn't mind a whole bunch of extra power.
    >
    > bill
    >

    > On Sun, 17 Jun 2001 22:07:12 -0500 car4doc <car4doc@core.com> writes:
    > > Hi All,
    > > Well here is a list of parts used in my conversion to a 4.3 chevy in
    > > my
    > > 109 LR
    > > I am very happy with my conversion.
    > > Hope it helps someone else do the same conversion.
    > > Rob Davis_Chicago
    > >
    > > Distributor 1985 86 astro HEI
    > > Ignition 1976 chevy v8 CBE4P control MODULE
    > >
    > > Bushing napa 615-1024 id changed to .878 +0005
    > >
    > > engine 1990 4x4 S10 4.3 v6 chevy
    > > sanders headers block huggers
    > > Throttle cable
    > >
    > > flywheel 1987 firebird or camaro 12 3/4 dia.
    > >
    > > Starter 1987 camaro or firebird
    > > clutch 9.5 land rover
    > >
    > > Scotties trans adapter
    > > studs 3/8
    > >
    > > edelbrock intake
    > > edelbrock carb

    PeoplePC: It's for people. And it's just smart.
    http://www.peoplepc.com