Re: LRO: Radiator

From: Rich & Lori Williams (paddlers@nwlink.com)
Date: Sun Jun 17 2001 - 23:10:00 EDT

    I own a Series II. The only thing I could do was to replace it's radiator
    with a IIa unit because II radiators are NLA so I went and had a guy recore
    mine. It looks great, and after a can of black Rustoleum it looks like the
    genuine thing. The owner of the shop is the original owner of a FJ40 and
    put this super high efficiency core in his truck and dropped the operating
    temp between 5-10 degrees. Dad uses the same core in all of his old
    Jaguars. I think dad said it was 300%+ more efficient than a 40 year old
    Jaguar radiator. I assume the same would hold true for LRs. Anyway, it's
    called an MX core or something like that. Cheaper than most quality
    aluminum cores and the added benefit here is that it's made of copper.
    Impale the radiator with a tree branch or an antler (yuck) and put a nice
    hole in the radiator and it can be welded right up with ease compared to the
    Al units.

    Rich
    '60 SII 109sw