LRO: Towing, was early LR prices

From: Robert Ries (robert_ries09459@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jun 15 2001 - 11:47:49 EDT

    >Find it funny people would buy a series truck to tow
    >something.
    >It would be
    >fine for towing a boat up a launch ramp. A top speed of 35mph
    >in 3rd gear, with the trailer on behind, hardly seems a useful
    >highway tow
    >vehicle, however. Only thing I've towed is a 109 regular
    >behind
    >my 88 but
    >it would barely do 45mph on level ground in 4th gear. Couldn't

    >see towing
    >anything very far in that situation. Europeans must have been
    >really hard
    >up to HAVE to use a series to tow anything of reasonable size.

    >Aloha
    >Peter O.

    I think the explanation goes something like this:

    1. Folks over here usually are going shorter distances then in
    the U.S. Back in the States, it's not uncommon to have to go
    500-1500 miles in one or two days. That's crossing 3 to 8
    countries over here.

    2. Geography and population densities make 45 mph quite a
    reasonable speed in most places. Europe doesn't have the
    network of wide, straight highways that is so commom in the U.S.

    3. Legal tow speeds are much lower than in the U.S. Most
    passenger vehicles towing trailers are limited to 50-60 mph,
    Commercial trucks likewise.

    4. Petrol (gas in the U.S.) prices and road sizes make buying
    tow vehicles such as Ford F350's or GM monstrosities an
    expensive and delicate proposition. A Range Rover V8 is just
    tolerable on both counts as long as you have a light right foot.
     (granted that the Rover V8 is not the worlds most efficient
    engine... ;>) )

    Not saying any of this is good or bad, just different. My own
    opinions will be held for the time being...

    =====
    Robert D. Ries
    SSgt, USAF
    Burwell, England