Re: LRO: Missing Front Drive Shaft

From: Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus (Alan_Richer@Lotus.com)
Date: Fri Jun 15 2001 - 10:18:18 EDT

    Joh, were I you I'd get a front driveshaft on it and see what kind of
    crunchy noises it makes in full-time 4WD with the centre diff unlocked. Do
    this beforee you see the DPO (dreaded previous owner).

    It may well be that all it was was a bad driveshaft and everything else is
    OK. Have you actually jacked up the front wheel and turned it to see what
    the diff output flange did? I'd try that ASAP. If the front end is actually
    working it may well all be OK.

    Also, you do realize that you don't need to swap the tranny with the
    transfer case - they can be replaced individually. THis is known as don't
    replace it all when you don't have to.....

    Lastly, the transfer case in the truck is not bad to rebuild - I've known
    folks to do them without too insane much difficulty. It's just a damn
    gearbox with a diff....nowhwere near as bad as an auto tranny or the like
    to do or have done.

                             ajr