Re: LRO: In a fog

From: S. Vels (sv@io.dk)
Date: Fri Jun 15 2001 - 09:21:28 EDT

    Sjust1925@aol.com wrote:

    > Where can you find the heated wind screen at a reasonable cost? What
    > is the
    > power draw of it, I heard for a questionable source they're a large
    > electrical drain?

    I inquired about these matters at a danish independent dealer a couple
    of years ago. The price then was equivalent 250 punds sans tax and the
    current draw was, as far as i remember, 9 amps per side.
    If rotten wires and a questionable alternator is an issue, fit a switch
    for each side. 95% of the viewing is through the driver side screen
    anyway. You can also fit a spool resistor and three position switches to
    keep the windscreen luke warm on days when temperature, air pressure and
    dewpoint are at such levels that all your windows are constantly greyed
    out.

    Compared to non-heated windscreens of any modern car, the price seems
    reasonable. I would invest in a pair myself, along with a heated rear
    window (+ wiper) if not for the fact that every second year i expect the
    mot inspector to rip off my license plates. Which, to my pleasant
    surprise, hasn't happende yet.

    rgds
    sv/aurens