Subject: LRO: Historical prices

From: "A. P. (Sandy) Grice" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 12:51:41 -0400

>"Faure, Marin" <[email-masked]>

>I'd say your acquaintance is not too far off.  I can't speak for the late 
>1950s, but in 1973, a US-spec Series III Hardtop Deluxe cost about
>$4,200.  Plus tax, shipping, etc.  At that time, a Toyota Land Cruiser 
>FJ-40 was just under $4,000, and a Jeep CJ-5 was just under $3,000.  

When I bought mine in November of 1972, the price was $4,139...including
all taxes, fees, and whatnot.  The only option was what color....

>I do know that at the time (1973), the Land Rover Series III was the most
>expensive of the utility-type 4wds available in the US.  Its only competition
>back then was the Toyota FJ-40, the Ford Bronco, the Jeep CJ, and the (very 
>limited numbers) Datsun Patrol.  I'm not sure if the International Scout
was out >yet.  

Gotta disagree here...I remember that the Rover was the second *lowest*.
Only the LC was cheaper...by $200.  Can't recall CJ prices, tho'.  I
believe the Scout had been around since 1960 or so.  My best friend from
college bought a new Blazer a few months before I got the Rover.  He went
through *five* (and a Wagoneer and a Trooper to boot) before he bought a
used Rangie.  I'm still driving the same Rover....

Cheers

	*-----"jeep may be famous, LAND-ROVER is legendary"----*
	|                 A. P. "Sandy" Grice                  |
	|    The Rover Owners' Association of Virginia, Ltd    |
	|     1633 Melrose Parkway, Norfolk, VA 23508-1730     |
	|     757-622-7054  (H)423-4898  (FAX)757-622-7056     |
	*------------------------------------------------------*