Subject: Re-LRO: Missing Front Drive Shaft

From: "Mike Rogers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 20:28:19 +0100

>>>>> Anyway I'm glad this LRO-list is around cuz I'll probably be asking
> quite a few questions from now on. . . Beside the manuals, any tools
> I should get to start with?

FYI this is the Series Rover list.  There is a coil spring list that you
will probably find more helpfull.<<<<

Trouble with the coil sprung list is that it is full of 18 year olds whining
that there is nowhere to fit bass boomers and extra switchgear in beluga
black Discoveries.

Now down to the problems with the RR. Odds are that the front prop was
removed due to knackered UJs or sliding spline causing vibration. No big
deal just fit a new one. Worst case scenario is that the centre diff is
knackered and the prop was removed to prevent wind up whilst running in 4WD
still no big deal, it is quite simple to remove it. Then have it re-build at
a transmission specialist. There should not be a lot wrong in the front axle
casing as it all has to turn whether driven by power from the prop or just
by the wheels turning.

Question is can you unlock the centre diff? If not then the mechanism may be
the root cause and the prop was removed simply to avoid wind up.

Engine oil leaks are again no great problem with the Rover V8. These are
normally down to blocked breathers and flame traps. Just buy new flame traps
then wash out the tubes with petrol. Worst case I have seen needed some of
the breather tubes replacing, and some orifices having to be cleared out
with a drill as they had never been cleaned.

Dig in and give it a full service first of all, and don't forget the EP90 in
the swivel housings now that real Land Rover stuff.

Next question please?

Mike Rogers
Lightweight/Range Rover hybrid
LPG V8 110 project (thanks to Marijn)
(if you can't get there in a Land Rover you can't get there)