Re: LRO: Land Rover Price in 1959?

From: Peter Ogilvie (konacoffee2@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jun 14 2001 - 14:45:25 EDT

    The bug's engine was kind of hidden by the cooling shrouds. Of course, you
    could drop the engine out of a VW in 15 minutes, maybe a small exaggeration,
    if you really wanted to look at it. Most of the things that you needed to
    service were viewable on a bug though it was sometimes easier to do it from
    underneath.

    Looked at a '58 Cadillac two door hard top yesterday. 124" wheelbase for a
    two door!!! Have to get a license from the Coast Guard to captain the land
    yacht. Looking under the hood at the 340ci (think that was the
    displacement) engine, appeared to be enough room to camp out next to the
    engine if repairs needed to be continued overnight. Must admit, economy of
    space wasn't the slightest concern in this era American cars.

    While I was at the garage, the mechanic was bitching about some newish
    Japanese front wheel drive car. Had to remove the air conditioning
    compressor to R&R the alternator. A real ozone layer friendly design as it
    was a freon AC system. I know, I know, garages are 'sposed to have freon
    recovery equipment, but how many shade tree mechanics do or how many garages
    actually take the time to do the job right.

    Aloha
    Peter O