Re: LRO: Land Rover Price in 1959?

From: Peter Ogilvie (konacoffee2@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jun 14 2001 - 14:30:10 EDT

    They used to do odd ball, tongue in cheek, tests occasionally. Seem to
    remember a steam engine (train) test or the like. Of course a Series was a
    state of the art 4x4 so they may have just been trying to cover all the
    bases. Those were back in the days of Payola, who knows, Rover may have
    bribed the editor with wine, women, or money to get the truck reveiwed.

    Find it funny people would buy a series truck to tow something. It would be
    fine for towing a boat up a launch ramp. A top speed of 35mph
    in 3rd gear, with the trailer on behind, hardly seems a useful highway tow
    vehicle, however. Only thing I've towed is a 109 regular behind my 88 but
    it would barely do 45mph on level ground in 4th gear. Couldn't see towing
    anything very far in that situation. Europeans must have been really hard
    up to HAVE to use a series to tow anything of reasonable size.

    Aloha
    Peter O.