LRO: Re: Guinness (for Frank, the Old Fart)

From: Mick Forster (mgf1@mail.staffs.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Jun 14 2001 - 05:55:45 EDT

    Frank Elson wrote:

    > Alex writes: >>>OK guys, what's the 'odd' thing about serving Newkie Brown?
    > >
    > > First use of the clear bottle (reputed to "ruin" the beer, but I haven't
    > > noticed)? Oldest brewing site in the UK, allegedly? Gawrsh, I don't
    > know....<<<
    >
    > to enjoy a pint of Newkie Brown properly you should have a pint bottle and a
    > half pint glass. Then you keep topping up the half pint as you drink, to
    > keep the head on it. Otherwise it disappears and looks flat - still tastes
    > just as good tho.

    Reminds me when I first had Newkie Brown, the landlord could only get it
    in half-pint bottles so he used to pour 2 at once into a straight pint
    glass without it overflowing, quite skilled he was. Occasionaly one of
    the half pint bottles was Guinness, black & tan we used to call it.

    > Seems weird the first few times as around here we think of half-pint
    > glasses as for women. You don't say that in Geordieland tho'

    I get some funny looks now when I ask for a pint glass, but I found when
    I was younger, the beer didn't stay in the glass long enough to loose
    its head, I just lost mine. I used to prefer a dimple glass with a
    handle on as well but you don't see them anymore.

    > you also write: 'up Alan Shearer' to which I reply, that rat deserted
    > Blackburn Rovers so 'right up' him!

    Who's he then? One of those blokes what kick a bag a wind about on a
    Saturday instead of doing some'at useful like a Landy oil change/top-up.

    All the best
    Mick Forster
    Series III LWB Safari 2.25 petrol/LPG 1973
    Series IIa SWB 2.25 petrol 1962
    Series IIa SWB electric one day!!
    http://gawain.soc.staffs.ac.uk/~mick/landpics.html
    http://gawain.soc.staffs.ac.uk/~mick/gascon/gas.html