LRO: Re: Land Rover Price in 1959?

From: Rich & Lori Williams (paddlers@nwlink.com)
Date: Wed Jun 13 2001 - 19:30:53 EDT

    Rick Grant wrote:

    > Would anyone happen to know the approximate price in North America of a
    > Series II in 1959 or thereabouts?
    >
    > The reason I ask is that I got chatting with a Disco driver today who
    > remarked that my rather time worn but reeking of character Series II
    > probably cost the equivalent in 1959 of a Discovery today. I'd like to
    > check that.
    >
    > The shipping invoice from 1959 lists the following, presumably as options:
    > 88" Station Wagon, tropical roof, two heaters, full instrument cluster,
    > spare wheel carrier (bonnet and rear door), flyscreens for dash vents,
    > deluxe interior trim, rear seats, locking fuel cap.

    Rick,

    The base price for an 88 SW w/ Tropical Roof is $2,435 for petrol, $2,750
    for diesel.

    Add $32.05 per heater.
    Add $4.20 for speedo w/ trip meter (all other instruments listed as
    "standard")
    One spare is "standard"
    Add $30.00 for extra spare tire
    Add $3.75 for bonnet spare carrier
    Add $3.28 per flyscreen
    Deluxe interior trim "standard"
    Rear seats "standard"
    Add $1.50 for locking fuel cap

    All for a grand total of $2,543.06 not including dealer fees, taxes,
    license, etc...

    Amounts listed in US funds and for the Series II.

    Whai I have is the Dealer's North American price list which consists of
    approximately 10 pages of tables. If anyone wants a copy I'll be happy to
    provide that - just email your postal address.

    Rich