Re: LRO: Re: Engine/Trans Swap

From: William J. Rice (jarvis64@juno.com)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 20:19:18 EDT

    Interesting bit of CO trivia: I talked to the emissions guy when I got
    Mrs. Merdle tested and he told me that they're SUPPOSED to do the
    emissions test based on the age of the engine, but that it's a law more
    observed in the breach than in the keeping.

    If they crack down on this, Mrs. M. would have to meet '80 standards with
    the engine I've got in her, UNLESS it the engine I bought reman'd from
    Jasper used later model block (block SN is the determining factor for the
    test) in which case, who knows what "year" my engine would be
    considered. It could really get silly, since people with a 302 from long
    ago could get a reman'd one using a block from not so long ago and have
    to meet new standards just b/c they've swapped blocks.

    bill