Re: LRO: Replacing footwells

From: Frank Elson (frankelson@felson.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Mon Jun 11 2001 - 17:25:51 EDT

    Peter writes: >>>Haven't any first hand experience but a number of people
    have riveted in the
    > replacement footwells. Use some kind of permanent marine sealant where
    the
    > parts overlap, drill and pop. Riveting will be nearly as strong as
    welding. <<<

    I've done this (twice) using galvanised sheet used for making up air
    conditioning ducts. Couple of coats of red lead, plenty of sealant around
    the edges, plenty of rivets and at least one looks as good as new 12 years
    later (I just went out and checked) the other is still on the road 15 years
    later and I don't remember the guy who had it off me (and who I see
    regularly) saying he'd had to 'do' the area again. Remember to still cut out
    the rusty bits and redlead (or your favourite rust protection paint, POR 15
    you lot are always going on about?) first.

    Best Cheers

    Frank
         "(o)======(o)" Bronze Green 110 CSW