Re: LRO: Re: Engine/Trans Swap

From: Kirk Hillman (kdhillma@telusplanet.net)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 00:27:34 EDT

    J-L,
        I don't know why someone else would want the 2.5 (Iron Duke), but I know
    why I would choose it. Simplicity. The motor is small and fits in the
    engine bay terrifically. Weight, it's hard to compete with a small lump
    like that. Minimal modifications... to anything. Sure, it won't compete in
    torque with the 250 or 300 inch monsters, but it isn't intended to. The
    Duke can reliably put out 120-125 Hp using production parts. Personally I
    would love to have an engine like that at the moment. I like the idea of
    keeping the weight down. The reason is simple to illustrate if you know
    what a Suzuki Samurai is. I could be wrong but I believe the 2.5 is lighter
    than the 2.25. Parts are extremely cheap too. The bores are the same as
    the 350 as well as some other parts which vastly increases one's options.
        The other opinion (yours) would likely be to simply fit the 250 or 300
    as you did. Great! I would love that as well, but it involves much more
    work which I don't have time or money for. My fear is the destruction of
    other parts of the truck under the torque these engines put out. A few
    others on the list that might remember my incremental plan to modify my LR
    may also remember my thoughts on overcoming this problem. But again, meant
    more time and money. Maybe someday, maybe never. :-)
        I say 'Good on Ya' J-L. Same goes for those planning on using the 2.5.
    Have fun.

    Kirk