Subject: LRO: British Beer, The Right Temparature

From: "Mark Freeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 22:05:45 -0700

With all of this talk of the proper temperature of British beer I am remined
of one of my Father's W.W.II war stories. He was with the US Army Air Corp.,
stationed near Diss from early '43 though '45. He said that after a week of
abnormally cold winter weather in '44 he arrived at his favorite pub early
in the evening to find the barman and several patrons struggling to move the
kegs of beer from the outside rear courtyard where it was normally stored,
to the rear of the pub.  When my father asked what the commotion was about
he was told that they "didn't want the beer to get too cold".  His memory
was of beer served at about 55 degrees F and if became much colder than that
the people thought it was too cold.

Land Rover content:  My son and I visited Diss in 1999 after attending
Billing and did a memorial pub-crawl in my Father's honor. We also visited a
terrific museum dedicated to the US Army Air Corp fliers. It is located just
east of Diss and is one the  few remaining W.W.II era  bomber bases. It
consists of the control tower and a few support buildings. The museum is run
by by local volunteers in honor of the US airmen who served in  England.

Best Regards,

Mark Freeman
Sedalia, Missouri
Series Land Rovers beyond what reasonable people would tolerate