Re: LRO: Replacing footwells

From: Peter Ogilvie (konacoffee2@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Jun 11 2001 - 18:05:13 EDT

    Use 101 adhesive sealant, (think dow is the mfg.) or a polysulfide caulk
    like LifeCaulk on the overlap between the new and old section. Don't use
    sillycone or typical house caulks as they don't stick well, get a marine
    sealant/adhesive caulk. That stuff is as close to permanent as you can get,
    remains plyable and sticks tenaciously so will seal out water intrusion and
    stop corrosion in this area. Rivets spaced fairly closely together will
    give very high strength. You don't need anything else. Brazing over the
    above fix, will probably burn out the sealant and create problems.
    Incidentally, there are pop rivets and there are pop rivets. Get blind ones
    that are high strength like steel ones and dip them in sealant before
    putting them in place and setting them.

    Don't make your job more than it has to be.

    Did I read that right, your quote was $675 to have the footwells welded??
    Seems a trifle pricey.

    Aloha
    Peter O