LRO: Re: Engine/Trans Swap

From: Kirk Hillman (kdhillma@telusplanet.net)
Date: Sun Jun 10 2001 - 23:40:59 EDT

    Adam,
        I was looking into this swap, but ended up scrapping it. Though, it
    should be noted that it wasn't because of viability. Other 'things' came up
    (read 'of the opposite gender'). I am curious about your desire to use the
    Muncie 420. I had trouble locating one at all. They were built a LONG time
    ago. Around here at least the SM-465 is much easier to locate but still
    isn't a piece of cake. Sure, you get a slightly lower 1st, but I am told
    the 420 is simply far less 'friendly'. Louder and more clunky etc.
        I am a little more curious about your calculations though. 95 MPH @
    3000 RPM? Unless I am messing the numbers up this is what I get with this
    set-up:

    SM-420
    Ashcroft High Range LR case (0.871 High)
    4.10 Diffs
    33" tires

    =3436 RPM @ 95 MPH (152 KPH)

    If there is something wrong with my calculations let me know. I was making
    a lot of decisions based on them. I have an Excel spreadsheet laid out that
    I would email you if you like with a number of transmission/transfer case
    options.

    Kirk