Re: LRO: Re: disk brakes conversion

From: Jean-Leon Morin (offroaddesign@softhome.net)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 22:36:45 EDT

    Folks, don't worry. I'm still working on it, sort of. Dr. Detroit is still
    very much locked in his underground lab.

    As you may remember, I wanted an overbuilt brake system for series axles
    that would use easily sourced parts. Where I ended up is kinda weird.

    Well, I still have a very much working proto, using a 77 chevrolet caliper,
    Ford F 350 rotors, and a master from an LTD with four wheel diskies. This is
    a braking system fit for a vehicle with a GVWR of about 6500 lbs, and a 1
    ton capacity. 8500lbs. That's a lot of 88" rovers. It might be overkill for
    anything other than Valdez.

    The only problem is that the massive assembly does not fit behind the stock
    wheel. I have two routes I can follow - change the wheel design, which is
    costly, or simply go for a smaller rotor and caliper, which is definitely
    not a big deal, except the Land-Rover wheel hub is fiendishly huge, and I
    haven't found a suitable part. Of course, I could spin up some custom alloy
    steel wheel hubs, and use Toyota 4x4 rotors, but that would cost oodles in
    machining costs, which is free for me, but damn expensive to mass produce
    (read expensive for YOU). I have thought about reworking the L-R hubs to
    include a rotor mount, but they are soft cast iron, and I can't work them at
    all.

    I had a really good design using a mix of all kinds of parts, which are
    still held secret, but it needed a custom hub. The material costs were
    astronomical for my very tight budget at the time, and it stopped me dead.
    Hubs are relatively easy to spin up, all flat surfaces, can be out of mild
    steel, relatively few close tolerances.

    The crushing truth is that 720$ canadian is damn good for a complete kit.
    The last prices I had were about 300$ of parts, calipers, rotors, bolts,
    studs, etc. That's not including raw materials, and machining. of course, I
    could build one for about 400$, but where's the profit margin in that case?
    I'd have to make at least 150$ a kit to break even.

    The range rover axle thing looked like a done deal, but all kinds of little
    things are going wrong in the sale of the parts, and I might simply get the
    heck out of that situation, and try and improve the stocker L-R axles. I'll
    know in the next month or so.

    J-L