Re: LRO: Tires - oops - Tyres

From: Hope Peter (hope_peter@bah.com)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 06:26:07 EDT

    > What is the advantage to running wider rims with tires. I can see the
    > advantage of running narrow rims to have the tires protect the rims by the
    > extra side wall bulge. Just curious what wider rims do for tires. Is it
    > greater side loading, wider footprint, or what??
    >
    > Aloha
    > Peter O

    It can be a safety issue, if the rim is too narrow it can cause to much of
    a side wall buldge and run the risk of popping a bead. Also you get a lot
    of lateral flex (side loading), true the Rover isn't going to be running
    100mph across the sadle road, but you can still get some sway building up
    that could cause a roll over situation.

    Pete