RE: LRO: Back-ass-ward 109 front brakes...

From: Tackley, John (jtackley@dit.state.va.us)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 10:34:05 EDT

    bill,

    I believe the bore is large enough, but I say that without any data to back
    up the statement...(other than the larger pipe outlet sizes), but it seems
    logical to me that it would be so. The Ford Crowne Vic was a large heavy
    vehicle after all. And it also seems appropriate to now consider a Ford
    part acceptable on a Land Rover product.
    While the Crowne Vic MC ("CV") is a bolt in replacement for the original
    Girling dual circuit CB, some additional work is needed.
    First, the pushrod needs to be extended about 7/8ths inch...a simple
    aluminum insert can be used, or as I did, cut 7/8" off the end of the CB
    pushrod and weld it to the Crowne Vic's pushrod, carefully grinding the weld
    back to proper size.
    Also, the "CV" inlets are of 2 different sizes and are on the opposite side
    (engine side for a LHD truck). Napa can sell you the 6" pipe&adapters to
    take the inlet sizes down to 3/16".
    You can then just reform the original lines, or cut,shorten and re-flare the
    original pipes using the original ends, and a 3/16" union fitting to join
    them.
    The Crowne Vic MC has the bail-lock style top cover with the expanding
    gasket/seal common on US made MCs. The front fluid chamber is twice the
    volume of the rear chamber (and I presume this is so to allow for more rapid
    wear for the front brake shoe linings or pads, thus the need for a larger
    volume of brake fluid. The front pipe outlet is a larger size (5/16")than
    the rear outlet(1/4"). Though I adapted both down to 3/16" pipe and
    fittings, you could retain the larger pipe and fitting size all the way to
    the front junction, but I don't see the need or benefit on an 88.
    The "CV" is quite a bit larger MC than the CB and thus it occupies a larger
    amount of under-bonnet real estate, but it posed no clearance problems on my
    88, even though equipped with an APB SU/manifold setup, similar to ACR's.
    If your CB is in good nick, keep it, but if you need a replacement, the "CV"
    is a reasonable and inexpensive replacement, IMHO.

    JT/ric

    I know sev. folks who run these on their 88s--is its bore diameter large
    enough to work the 109 fronts? I already have the regular rover
    dual-circuit master, but if this thing costs $35 and has a big ol' bore
    front and back . . .
    bill