Re: LRO: Frame bushings

From: Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus (Alan_Richer@Lotus.com)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 06:51:50 EDT

    So. Why couldnt you just gently bash hte bushes in with a rubber
    mallet?

    Well.....you can - but it doesn't work all that well.

    Part of the reason that your tyre comes off in response to a good bashing
    is because there's some stretch and give in the tyre bead. WIth a chassis
    bushing there is NO (or little) give - it's a steel tube in a steel tube.

    In that setup it's easiest to give a firm pull to unseat and seat them - it
    just works better that way. I ended up building a tool for this job from
    some heavy-walled tubing and a large Acme-thread screw.

    Lubrication also helps big time - slathering the bushing in anti-seize
    works well.

                        ajr