Subject: LRO: Tranny swap/rebuild

From: "Todd Kendrick" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 07:54:10 -0600

OK so the mainshaft nut did not fix my clunking sound in third gear so I
am beginning to tear down to replace/rebuild the tranny. The original
gearbox in my truck is a suffix "C"; I have also have a used suffix "D"
(without t-case or clutch ? attachments) . The "D"  appears to be in fine
working order; manually shifts OK and really quiet and no obvious teeth
missing. The suffix "C" gearbox was rebuilt here locally (yeee) before I
purchased the truck about 20,000 miles ago so I am a little afraid of what I
might find in there. When I first got it popped out of third gear; stopped
popping out of gear now it makes a loud banging noise when on the gas (bad
synchro?).
    So I removed the old tranny yesterday and am trying to decide to totally
rebuild the "C" or just add new gaskets and bearings to the "D" ?  Any other
ways to check to ensure that the D is OK?  Will everything from my C
(t-case, clutch, etc...) work with the D ? I also need a rear cv-joint for
my rear driveshaft I discovered yesterday. I can get the cv at NAPA right ?
Think I will go ahead and get a new seal for overdrive and what else ? Any
ideas, suggestions, easier ways, etc. will be much appreciated.

Todd Kendrick (digest mode)
Taos, NM
'66 109" P/U
(hanging out w/ hippie friend w/ Green Bible and other green things :>)