Re: LRO: Frame bushings

From: Peter Ogilvie (konacoffee2@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Jun 03 2001 - 15:51:40 EDT

    Yes a press is nice, place frame in press and press out. Lacking a press
    large enough to fit the rover in, you'll have to cut the outer sleeve and
    drive it out. Need to cut the sleeve all the way through, BTW, or it will
    probably just hang in while you mangle the frame. An air chisel with the
    'V' shaped cutting bit may drive it out without cutting. Haven't tried it
    yet but did use an air chizel to drive my last one out after cutting. It
    came out almost as soon as I touched the trigger. Way Cool!! Lather up the
    bush and frame puka with marine bearing grease or never seize and reinstall.
      You'll need to lash up a tool to draw the new bush back into the frame, if
    your putting stock bushes back in. I use a long bolt, some surplus shackles
    and a bunch of washers of appropriate size for spacers. Keep cranking on
    the nut, loosening and adding washers, and cranking, etc. till the bush is
    back in place. Have heard but not verified that Polubushes are in two
    pieces and have no outer sleeve so go in and come out way easier.

    Its not a very rewarding job but doable in about an hour or two per bush.
    Probably a lot easier and should be somewhat faster with the frame stripped
    and at a more comfortable working height.

    Aloha
    Peter O
    Kona Coffee Rover

    Probably doesn't matter if you remove the bushes before or after
    sandblasting