Re: LRO: Re: Re: Tuning by eye

From: Peter Ogilvie (konacoffee2@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jun 01 2001 - 17:50:37 EDT

    Asbestosis and the unigue type of lung cancer caused by asbestos are
    terrible diseases. In most cases, it took long and intense exposure to a
    specific form of Asbestos to cause the disease. Asbestos as a powder is a
    problem, Asbestos as 99% of us see/saw it is not a problem. Unless it is
    ground into a fine powder it is not a health hazard. Spending billions of
    dollars to remove it from buildings is a waste. It just needs to be
    encapsulated. Someone else pointed out that the removal actually causes
    more problems than it cures as the asbestos is sometimes powdered during the
    removal process.

    It was terrible that the word on the danger of the powdered form of asbestos
    did not get out to the man in the factory or ship yard. They were innocent
    victims that might have been saved a premature and painful death with a
    little precaution. Guess what Frank, I'm one of those that was exposed to
    asbestos in its dangerous form, without any idea that it was a danger. But
    like most things that can be a health hazard, the health paranoids have gone
    off the deep end in trying to rid the world of what is a non problem for
    most of the population. As quite often happens, the cure is worse than the
    problem they are trying to solve.

    The point I was trying to make is don't panic if you think you've been
    exposed to Asbestos. Number one, it won't do you any good. If your going
    to die from it, you arent' going to be able to do a thing about it short of
    a lung transplant. In the majority of cases, asbestos would be contained in
    a manner to render it harmless. Either bound up in the filler in floor tile
    or as large solids that are harmless. In the case of brakes, care should be
    taken. Don't assume that just because your shoes or pads are relatively
    new, that they don't contain asbestos. Believe the new brake cleaners are
    designed to suspend the asbestos dust, be washed off, and allow it to be
    disposed of safely. Wear a mask while doing brake work and don't blow the
    brakes down with compressed air. Just a heads up but trying to put the real
    danger in perspective.

    Aloha
    Peter