Re: LRO: RE: Asbestos (was tuning by eye)

From: Steve Mace (steve@solwise.co.uk)
Date: Fri Jun 01 2001 - 03:43:38 EDT

    Presumably under the assumption that a couple of inches of pencil lead is
    going to alter the mass of the pad/shoe enough to actually alter it's vibration
    characteristics? So let's get this correct. Brake shoe weighs what 8oz. Drilling
    out 20 holes and put in pencil 'lead' maybe adds 0.01 of an oz. Total change
    in mass about zero. Can't see that doing anything to alter vibration
    characteristics. I'm sure someone who can remember their A level Physics
    can put this into figures better than me (too long ago I'm afraid) but it's doesn't
    sound correct to me.

    Just my opinion :-)

    On 31 May 2001, at 10:36, Faure, Marin wrote:

    > Actually, the graphite does not do anything to lubricate the lining. The
    > purpose of the lead "inserts" in the edge of the lining (not the face) is to
    > dampen the high-frequency vibrations that are the actual source of the squeal.
    > It works for both pads and shoes. You drill a series of holes in the leading or
    > upside edge of the shoe or pad lining parallel to and as close as possible to
    > the backing plate. Insert the lead cores that you cut from pencils. It's
    > important to make sure the holes face up, otherwise the lead cores might fall
    > out, although under the high heat generated in the brakes, they probably become
    > pretty well bonded to the lining material in a short time. The lead "breaks up"
    > the vibration in the pad or shoe, and no more squeal.
    Steve

    1972 SIII LtWt Green
    1993 D90 Red
    Name: Dr Steve Mace