Subject: LRO: Low/no sulfur diesel fuel

From: "Andy Woodward" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 14:34:39 +0100

\gasoline in this country (US).  I'm curious if the owners of 
\2.25 diesel engines are facing similar potential problems as the 
\sulfur in diesel fuel is phased out?  Our trawler, which was built 
\in 1973, is fitted with two, large, six-cylinder diesels.  These 
\engines 
\were designed to be run on fuel containing sulfur.  I don't know why 
\the fuel companies put sulfur in diesel fuel, but they did.  Now the 
\sulfur 
\content of diesel fuel is being reduced, and in some cases 
\eliminated to reduce harmful emissions.  I have been told by the 
\shop that 
\works on our engines, and I have read in several boating articles, 
\that it's 
\important to use a fuel additive with older diesel engines like ours, 
\to restore 
\the lubrication of the fuel injectors and parts of the injector or 
\distributor pumps 
\that used to be provided by the sulfur in the fuel.  The pumps 
\themselves are 
\lubricated with engine oil, but there are apparently components 
\within them 
\that get their lubrication from the fuel passing through.  The shop 
\didn't say 
\anything about the importance of sulfur to the valves and valve 
\seats, however.

We've had these problems over here where we've had Ultra Low 
Sulphur Deisel for a while. According to the guy in the local deisel 
service place, its more common than folk realise. But the fix is 
apparently simple, according to the UK-lro list, who have discussed 
this over teh last couple of years. Just add a cup of cheap engine 
oil to each fill up. This then lubricates teh pump. Probably puts the 
emissions back wher they were before, or worse, but who cares if 
the damned stuff is wearing out your DPS pump?????? DPS 
pumps cost a LOT of money.