Subject: LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * V1 #392

From: [email-masked] (LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * *)
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 13:37:49 -0400

LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * Thursday, May 31 2001 Volume 01 : Number 392

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 20:01:16 -0400
From: Nick Danger <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Wobbly (?) distributor - Series III

I just got back from a california trip on business and I parked the Rover 
before I left. A week later I came back and she started up great! Let her 
warm up and away I drove, kinda. It was as if I wasnt getting enough gas, or 
it was way out of tune. It was chocking and doing strange things when trying 
to drive forward, it idled fine and revved fine just not when in gear. At 
first I thought I broke the clutch or something but I chalked it up to 
something in the fuel line or the float in the carb clogged.

I just cleaned the carb lines and it seemed fine. (Zenith; I blew cleaner 
into all the jets and watched them squirt out the other holes. The intake 
hole still seems a little clogged but I might just be a bozo there) I also 
checked the points and thats when I noticed the distrib shaft is a little 
wobbly. I think wobbly might not be the right word as I cant really wiggle it 
out of line but I can rotate it a few degrees in either direction with zero 
resistance and a noticable "clink" noice when I do so. 

And that has me nervous. The behavior is still there, less so then it was 
before, but still very noticable. And Im running very rich, I can hear the 
popping in the exhaust.

So before I try to bring this to the mechanic (i've been meaning to do so and 
perhaps its finally time its out of my league), am I looking at this wrong, 
and is my dist shaft supposed to rotate a little by hand? I dont remember it 
ever doing that, but then it hasnt even been a year yet that I've had it :-) 
Im not so sure my ear is in the range for tuning by ear yet.

Thanks all!

- -Nick
Series III

PS - Saw some very nice Rovers around CA! A few defenders and a Series that 
was in polished aluminum. (outside San Francisco) This was all around the 
Santa Cruz, San Jose and San Francisco areas.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 20:14:52 -0400
From: "Larry Smith" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: Re: RE: Asbestos (was tuning by eye)

Rich,

Will probably go about the same time as you.

Spent my wastrel college days working at a name brand company that makes
kidney dialysis and blood transfusion products.  The plastic was extruded
from polyvinylchlorate (PVC) plastic.  Eight hours a day for months, for
multiple summers sucking down the fumes from the extrusion heads (plus
history of cancer in the family) probably does me no good.  But hey!, enjoy
life while you can!!!  Look at Steve McQueen. Lots of good life between the
ship builders' asbestos of the '40s and his death.

As the bikers like to say - -

Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse!

Larry Smith
Chester, VA
- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Rich Williams II" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: 30 May, 2001 02:40 PM
Subject: LRO: Re: RE: Asbestos (was tuning by eye)

> No LR related but here's a good one.  My folks recently had one of their
> bathroom floors replaced recently due to water damage.  The house was
built
> in 1980 which is around the same time that asbestos use was banned in
> residential flooring.  Yet there was still quite a lot of asbestos-laden
> flooring in the supply chain through the very early eighties.  Anyway,
some
> poor laborer took a power saw to the flooring and unknowingly filled the
> house with asbestos dust (as well as his lungs - yikes!).  That night I
was
> laying on the floor looking down into the framing to inspect the damage
> (I've built several homes in the past and was keeping an "eye" on things
for
> my parents).  When I stood up from the prone position I looked at one of
the
> floor scraps laying about and thought it looked suspicious.  The test is
to
> bend the flooring.  If you take a corner and bend it up and it easily
> flexes, no problem.  But if you bend it over and it snaps and breaks as if
> it were brittle then it is likely positive for asbestos.  I immediately
had
> it tested and sure enough - loads of the junk.  And I was white with dust
> from laying on the floor - so who knows what will happen in the future.
And
> how many old bathroom floors does this other guy saw up in an average
year,
> not knowing anything about what he is cutting into??   $55,000 later the
> insurance company (who recommended the contractor who did the bathroom
> repair) had the house cleaned up.  But that still left carpet with a lot
of
> asbestos so that had to be replaced at an additional cost of many
thousands
> of dollars.  The contractor immediately filed for bankruptcy protection
and
> left town.  Apparently, with several of the insurance company's jobs in a
> similar state of chaos with asbestos problems and the like.
>
> And so life goes on....
>
> Rich
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Ted Treanor <[email-masked]>
> To: <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2001 10:47 AM
> Subject: LRO: RE: Asbestos (was tuning by eye)
>
>
> > What about the poor mechanic taking off a brake drum filled with 40,000
> > miles worth of asbestos brake dust? On any brake assembly that needs a
few
> > whacks to loosen the drum, a cloud of brake dust fills the air. Do you
> know
> > anyone that wear a respirator while doing a brake job?
> >
> > The pencil lead idea sounds interesting. How/where do you apply the lead
> to
> > the pads?
> >
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
> > Behalf Of Faure, Marin
> > Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2001 12:00 PM
> > To: 'Land Rover Mail Group'
> > Subject: LRO: Asbestos (was tuning by eye)
> >
> >
> > Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 04:20:47 +0200
> > From: jos de vries <[email-masked]>
> > Subject: LRO: Re: Re: Tuning by eye
> >
> > Marin Faure wrote:
> > >>after the idiot government had the asbestos removed from brake lining.
> >
> > >In Holland the workmen working on the laying of the tiles for the
> pavement
> > and small roads were found to have a lot of asbestos in there lungs,
short
> > after there backs were broken at 40 they developed lungcancer. The
> > asbestoslevel is high in the filling in sand between the tiles.
> >
> > I can understand the need to eliminate asbestos exposure in those
> instances
> > where people are actually working with the material.  But the hysteria
> over
> > asbestos is, I think, misplaced when it comes to things like brake and
> > clutch
> > linings which are machine-made.  If the manufacturing facility is set up
> > properly, human exposure to the material can be eliminated or kept
within
> > safe limits.  I've seen asbestos when it comes out of the ground- it's
> just
> > a
> > greasy rock.  Anything can be bad for you, even too many carrots.
> > Asbestos is a very useful material.  Like nuclear power, the trick is to
> > work
> > with it intelligently, not simply ban it out of fear.  When they took
> > asbestos
> > out of brake and clutch lining material, I doubt it saved anyone's life,
> but
> > it
> > created new and expensive problems with brakes and clutches.
> >
> > _________________________________________
> > C. Marin Faure
> > Producer/Director, Boeing Video Services
> > telephone (425)393-7721
> > mobile (206)650-5622
> > fax: (425)393-7741
> > e-mail: [email-masked]
> >
> >
> > _________________________________________________________
> > Do You Yahoo!?
> > Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com
> >
>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 20:17:14 -0400
From: "Larry Smith" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: Re-lashing cleats

Mike,

I detect an odor of Secrecy about this "FART'

Do we need to call "60 Minutes"?  Seems they can smell out a story most any
place.

Larry Smith
Chester, VA
- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Rogers" <[email-masked]>
To: "LRO List" <[email-masked]>
Sent: 30 May, 2001 04:37 PM
Subject: LRO: Re-lashing cleats

> >>>>nifty flush mounting lashing points.  Basically, an approximate 3"
> square
> chunk is removed from the upper inside wheel wells and a bar mounted in
> place.  Hard to describe, but the picture tells volumes.!).  I have heard
> rumours that these are a (new?) British MOD issue.  Anyone know where to
get
> them<<<<
>
> SSSSSHHH don't shout about these things. These latest British MOD Flush
> Aluminium Retaining Tiedowns are still on the secret list and subject to
> official secrets act (subsection 223b "Flush Aluminium Retaining Tiedowns"
> restrictions).
>
> This post has already lead to the start of an SIB investigation to see how
> information on this new innovation has become public knowledge. Beware a
> "FART" (Flush Aluminium Retaining Tiedowns)  investigation team may be on
> its way,
>
> Mike Rogers
> Lightweight/Range Rover hybrid
> LPG V8 110 project (thanks to Marijn)
> (if you can't get there in a Land Rover you can't get there)
>
>
>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 17:57:33 -0700
From: "Paul Quin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: REAR MAIN SEAL PANIC

The oil seal set the I used came with two sets of cork "T" pieces.  One is
for the 2&1/4 engine which you have, the other is for the 2.6 six cylinder
engine.  Both are included with the kit as a convenience.  By your
description it sounds like you did all right...

Paul in Victoria.
- ----- Original Message -----

> The project that will not end.
>
> I pulled the motor to replace the rear main seal.
> The replacement was a IIa set up, so needed the retainer...
> then the timing chain and the bloody front cover and,well...
>
>
> There was mention of the cork "T" pieces for the rear seal set up in a
> digest entry I got today.
>
> WHAT the HELL are they for?
>
> I replaced the black "t" 's along the side of the heavy metal below the
rear
> crank.  I have leftover cork looking "T" 's!!!!
>
> Of course, I have everything back together now and am just waiting for a
day
> to rent the lift for the third time.  I thought the cork was just a IIa vs
> II thing and did not look too hard for the old ones.
>
> DO I NEED TO TAKE IT ALL APART AGAIN????
>
>
> -Rik in Minnesota
> 1960 Ser II SWB SW

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 22:27:30 +0100
From: "Frank Elson" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Re: weird Salisbury leak

TeriAnn writes:>>>It has something to do with what an English chemist named
Boyle came up
> with<<<

oh right, blame THAT on us as well. The English, cause of all the world's
woes. Isn't it enough that we invented the damn' vehicle, now you're saying
it's our fault it leaks... er...

It's been a long day :-(>
Best Cheers

Frank
    +--+--+--+
     I !__|  [_]|_\___
     I ____|"_|"__|_ | /     B791 PKV
     "(o)======(o)"    Bronze Green 110 CSW

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 18:40:53 -0700
From: "G. Mugele" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: conspiracies (was Re: weird Salisbury leak)

>oh right, blame THAT on us as well. The English, cause of all the world's
>woes. Isn't it enough that we invented the damn' vehicle, now you're saying
>it's our fault it leaks... er...
>

Well.... speaking of conspiracies:
I happen to know that Michael Faraday was English and so was Joe Lucas.....

Gerry Mugele
Peat  95 D90 SW
*** Practice safe eating, always use condiments.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 14:21:44 -1000
From: "Peter Ogilvie" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Re: Re: Tuning by eye

I believe the gov't just announced that you still need to be careful of 
brake shoes as they still contain asbestos.  Apparently the mfg's are just 
now getting around to removing the stuff.

Asbestos is not the big bugaboo that the health nuts would have you believe, 
by the way.  Asbestos is a naturally occurring substance, especially in the 
Western American Desserts.  It does not cause lung cancer, ala cigarettes, 
but a cancer of the the lining of the outside of the lung.  The molecular 
structure of asbestos looks like one of those spiked balls like the old 
knights used as a Mace and Ball.  Very sharp edges.  Apparently it irritates 
the lining of the lungs and eventually causes cancer, in a few people.  But 
its far, far from a 100% certainty that exposure will lead to cancer.  
That's why it took so long to associate asbestos with the peculiar form of 
cancer it causes.  In the first place it must be ground down to a molecular 
level dust to cause any damage.  Unfortunately thats the state it was in for 
the pipefitters to make up a slurry that they'd wrap around pipes.  Probably 
high concentration of the stuff in the air in the bowels of a ship.  You 
also may notice that's the state the remains of your brake pads/shoes are 
when they are worn down.  Wearing a simple particle mask is more that 
adequate protection from asbestos dust.

The hysteria about asbestos in building materials is mostly completely 
unwarranted.  All you have to do, to be safe, is encapsulate it so it can't 
be broken up.  A simple paint covering is enough.  We've wasted billions of 
dollars ripping out asbestos, when it could have been noted, safely 
encapsulated and left in place.  It then could have been removed when there 
was an actual need like the offending parts had to be removed, or demolition 
of the building.  Asbestos in floor tile is almost an absolute non problem 
as the asbestos remains bound up with the filler in the tile so it doesn't 
break down into its pure molecular structure and its spiky nature is not 
exposed.  So asbestos was an especial hazard for those working directly with 
it, in its powder form, in construction or other manufacturing, but not a 
danger to the general public in its finalized form.

The big problem with Asbestos was that the Manufacturers did not act quickly 
when they knew it could be a health hazard.  More than 10 years, might have 
been 20, passed between the determination that it caused cancer in some 
people, and the time the word was put out.  When I worked in the Boat 
Building industry in the '70's they used powdered asbestos as a thickener in 
resin.  Stuff was left on the shop floor, uncovered, in 50 gallon drums.  We 
used to scoop it into ordinary grocery bags to carry to the job site.  Don't 
know how many of the bags broke and the contents blown around the boat yard. 
  The area around the drum was covered in grey powder.  No one knew, at that 
level, that precautiouns needed to be taken and you shouldn't be breathing 
the stuff.

As far as the poor laborers breaking their backs on a union, government job 
laying tile.  I haven't seen a government and/or union job where anyone was 
overworked.  Biggest health hazard is from getting fat.  Construction 
workers DO earn their pay, but I wouldn't be crying over how they are 
overworked ad especially being under paid.

So don't sweat your past exposure to asbestos.  Best to wear a particle mask 
and thoroughly clean brake areas with approved cleaner when working on your 
brakes.  Don't worry, be happy.  Even if you snorted the stuff, you probably 
wouldn't get lung cancer.

Aloha
Peter
Asbestos suit in preparation.

>From: jos de vries <[email-masked]>
>In Holland the workmen working on the laying of the tiles for the pavement 
>and small roads were found to have a lot of astbestos in there lungs, short 
>after there backs were broken at 40 they developed lungcancer. The asbestos 
>level is high in the filling in sand between the tiles.
>Jos de Vries
>Delft, Holland
>Land Rover SANTANA 109 D Especial '71
>Land Rover 88 4x2 '75 LPG
>
>
>
>
>

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 22:53:57 -0700
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: LRO: Re: Re: Tuning by eye

>But 
>its far, far from a 100% certainty that exposure will lead to cancer.  
>That's why it took so long to associate asbestos with the peculiar form
of 
>cancer it causes. 

Mesaspeloma (sp?) is the cancer traced to asbestos.  Far more common is
Asbestosis, an emphysema like condition, just as deadly.

>Wearing a simple particle mask is more that adequate protection from
asbestos dust.

Just not true and you should know better.  All masks are not created
equal.  The mask must be an effective filter of the fiber size in
question, as not all fiber sizes cause the conditions.  The mask must
also have an effective seal on the face.  I don't know of a single strap
mask that can do that.  Any facial hair in the seal area will negate the
best masks.

>The big problem with Asbestos was that the Manufacturers did not act
quickly 
>when they knew it could be a health hazard.  More than 10 years, might
have 
>been 20, passed between the determination that it caused cancer in some 
>people, and the time the word was put out.

More like 60 years.  The correlations were first made in the 20's..  Best
to wear a particle mask 
and thoroughly clean brake areas with approved cleaner when working on
your 
brakes.  Don't worry, be happy.  Even if you snorted the stuff, you
probably 
wouldn't get lung cancer.
 
>  Best to wear a particle mask 
>and thoroughly clean brake areas with approved cleaner when working on
your 
>brakes.  

The current OSHA approved method is to spray the brakes from at least 18"
with an aerosol can of cleaner until the dust is wet then you can clean
at close range.

> Even if you snorted the stuff, you probably 
>wouldn't get lung cancer.

How about asbestosis?

Chris hall

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 21:40:38 -0600
From: Rick Grant <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Lead pencils and brakes

I'm not sure that I follow this properly, however, is it the idea that one 
drills a series of holes vertically near the leading edge face of the shoes 
and inserts bits of graphite pencil leads?

If so, then isn't the efficiency of the braking system compromised because 
after all, graphite is a lubricant?

I reduced brake squealing to next to nothing by chamfering the leading edge 
of the shoes to a 30 or 45 degree angle on the advice of someone who had 
dealt with similar problems in MG's.

                                             Rick Grant

  				  1959 Series II   "88"
				  VORIZO

Rick Grant Communications
Media and Crisis Management
Calgary Ottawa
www.rickgrant.com

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 20:52:23 -0700
From: "Gerry Elam" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Re: weird Salisbury leak

- ------=_NextPart_001_0002_01C0E94A.6D7352E0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

>oh right, blame THAT on us as well. The English, cause of all the world'=
s
>woes. Isn't it enough that we invented the damn' vehicle, now you're say=
ing
>it's our fault it leaks... er...

>It's been a long day :-(>

I remember a thread from about 4 or 5 years ago when the subject was remo=
ving rust or something from gas tanks.  The suggestion was to put in a ch=
ain with a solvent, shake it over your head and yell, "bring out yer dead=
... bring out yer dead...."

This post from Frank ranks up there with great posts like the "bring out =
yer dead"-post that I'll remember for years.

Good on you Frank!

Cheers,
Gerry Elam
PHX AZ =20

- ------=_NextPart_001_0002_01C0E94A.6D7352E0
Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV>&gt;oh right, =
blame THAT on us as well. The English, cause of all the world's<BR>&gt;wo=
es. Isn't it enough that we invented the damn' vehicle, now you're saying=
<BR>&gt;it's our fault it leaks... er...<BR><BR>&gt;It's been a long day =
:-(&gt;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>I remember a thread from about 4 or&=
nbsp;5 years ago when the subject was removing rust or something from gas=
 tanks.&nbsp; The suggestion was to put in a chain with a solvent, shake =
it over your head and yell, "bring out yer dead... bring out yer dead....=
"</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>This post from Frank ranks up there with g=
reat posts like the "bring out yer dead"-post that I'll remember for year=
s.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Good&nbsp;on you Frank!</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;=
</DIV> <DIV>Cheers,<BR>Gerry Elam</DIV> <DIV>PHX AZ&nbsp;<BR></DIV></BODY=
></HTML>

- ------=_NextPart_001_0002_01C0E94A.6D7352E0--

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 18:23:51 -1000
From: "Peter Ogilvie" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Re: Re: Tuning by eye

It is best not to ingest asbestos dust, period.  But if you did, its not a 
death sentence.  Some people worked around, in and on top of asbestos their 
whole lives and weren't effected.  I did it innocently for more than a year. 
  Others have had problems with relatively brief exposures.  In almost all 
cases, we're talking intense involvment with airborn particles, however.  
You'd have to be damn unlucky to get either cancer or asbestosis from the 
brief encounters of the typical Rover hobbiest.  Steve McQueen was one of 
the unlucky ones.  He probably was exposed racing dirt bikes in the 
California Deserts.  Now doesn't that make all you Mojave habitue's feel 
good!!

We've wasted billions of dollars on a witch hunt for asbestos in its stable, 
non powder state.  Hell the State Legislators here in Hawaii blew 65 million 
dollars (Initial estimate was $16,000,000) on de-asbestosing the capitol 
building.  Just the group that might of benefited from a good whiff of the 
stuff. I think the term is 'frangible', but in any case, if its not ground 
down to a fine dust, its harmless.

Aloha
Peter O.

>From: [email-masked]
>Reply-To: [email-masked]
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: Re: LRO: Re: Re: Tuning by eye
>Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 22:53:57 -0700
>
> >But
> >its far, far from a 100% certainty that exposure will lead to cancer.
> >That's why it took so long to associate asbestos with the peculiar form
>of
> >cancer it causes.
>
>Mesaspeloma (sp?) is the cancer traced to asbestos.  Far more common is
>Asbestosis, an emphysema like condition, just as deadly.
>
> >Wearing a simple particle mask is more that adequate protection from
>asbestos dust.
>
>Just not true and you should know better.  All masks are not created
>equal.  The mask must be an effective filter of the fiber size in
>question, as not all fiber sizes cause the conditions.  The mask must
>also have an effective seal on the face.  I don't know of a single strap
>mask that can do that.  Any facial hair in the seal area will negate the
>best masks.
>
> >The big problem with Asbestos was that the Manufacturers did not act
>quickly
> >when they knew it could be a health hazard.  More than 10 years, might
>have
> >been 20, passed between the determination that it caused cancer in some
> >people, and the time the word was put out.
>
>More like 60 years.  The correlations were first made in the 20's..  Best
>to wear a particle mask
>and thoroughly clean brake areas with approved cleaner when working on
>your
>brakes.  Don't worry, be happy.  Even if you snorted the stuff, you
>probably
>wouldn't get lung cancer.
>
> >  Best to wear a particle mask
> >and thoroughly clean brake areas with approved cleaner when working on
>your
> >brakes.
>
>The current OSHA approved method is to spray the brakes from at least 18"
>with an aerosol can of cleaner until the dust is wet then you can clean
>at close range.
>
> > Even if you snorted the stuff, you probably
> >wouldn't get lung cancer.
>
>How about asbestosis?
>
>
>Chris hall
>

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 05:50:19 
From: "kyle vandyke" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Learning by breaking

>Kyle writes: >>>I've learned alot about
> > rovers by breaking things then figuring out what they do, how they work,
>and
> > how to fix what I screwed up.  <<<
>
>yep, that's the school I went to as well :-)>

And in that school I just learned that shuddering at 55 mph may mean your 
U-joints are worn out - the hard way.  They make an ugly noise when they 
break.
Kyle and a now 2wd 92 RR
1971 SIIA 109
_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 02:13:39 EDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: LRO: Re: Pencil lead and LRs

- --part1_f9.ab1d852.28473b13_boundary
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Marin Faure writes:

> Actually, I DO extract the lead cores from No. 2 pencils, but it's for our 
> Range Rover, 
> 

The "lead" in pencils is graphite, which is a good lubricant. I regularly 
spray graphite lube on my SIII and SIIa leaf springs to reduce friction 
between the leaves. Good in locks too. 

Karen Sindir 
'74 SIII 88 Red Rufy 
'66 SIIa 88 Barbaros
'95 Disco EFE

- --part1_f9.ab1d852.28473b13_boundary
Content-Type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>Marin Faure writes:
<BR>
<BR>
<BR><BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Actually, I DO extract the lead cores from No. 2 pencils, but it's for our 
<BR>Range Rover, 
<BR></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>
<BR>The "lead" in pencils is graphite, which is a good lubricant. I regularly 
<BR>spray graphite lube on my SIII and SIIa leaf springs to reduce friction 
<BR>between the leaves. Good in locks too. 
<BR>
<BR>Karen Sindir 
<BR>'74 SIII 88 Red Rufy 
<BR>'66 SIIa 88 Barbaros
<BR>'95 Disco EFE</FONT></HTML>

- --part1_f9.ab1d852.28473b13_boundary--

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 01:33:38 -0500 (CDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Re: Pencil lead and LRs

On Thu, 31 May 2001 [email-masked] wrote:

:The "lead" in pencils is graphite, which is a good lubricant. I regularly
:spray graphite lube on my SIII and SIIa leaf springs to reduce friction
:between the leaves. Good in locks too.
:

Only locks that aren't ever lubricated with anything else, and aren't
exposed to the elements.  Graphite and many other lubricants combine to form
a nasty mess that will gum them up.  One of the worst offenders is WD-40.
<Rant that WD-40 isn't a lubricant deleted in the interests of child
protection>

- -- 
[email-masked]
Bipedalism is only a fad.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 02:46:19 EDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: LRO: Re: Smiths temp sender

- --part1_6b.151f571f.284742bb_boundary
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Mike writes:

> To me it looks like the
> sender is filled with liquid and a tube connects it to the gauge.  The
> liquid must expand during heating creating pressure which moves the needle.
> 

The "liquid" is actually ether vapor, which would be hard to refill yourself. 
If you are in the US, Nissonger in the Northeast US (NY or NJ area?) rebuilds 
these and a company called Momar in the Western US (Nevada, Colorado?) does 
also. British Pacific has used the latter company for a while and could 
probably get you in touch with them (they rebuilt one for me that sprang a 
leak during installation).

Hope that helps,

Karen Sindir
'74 SIII 88 Red Rufy 
'66 SIIa 88 Barbaros
'95 Disco EFE

- --part1_6b.151f571f.284742bb_boundary
Content-Type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>Mike writes:
<BR>
<BR>
<BR><BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">To me it looks like the
<BR>sender is filled with liquid and a tube connects it to the gauge. &nbsp;The
<BR>liquid must expand during heating creating pressure which moves the needle.
<BR>I guess the liquid in mine has leaked out or has air in the line. </BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>
<BR>The "liquid" is actually ether vapor, which would be hard to refill yourself. 
<BR>If you are in the US, Nissonger in the Northeast US (NY or NJ area?) rebuilds 
<BR>these and a company called Momar in the Western US (Nevada, Colorado?) does 
<BR>also. British Pacific has used the latter company for a while and could 
<BR>probably get you in touch with them (they rebuilt one for me that sprang a 
<BR>leak during installation).
<BR>
<BR>Hope that helps,
<BR>
<BR>Karen Sindir
<BR>'74 SIII 88 Red Rufy 
<BR>'66 SIIa 88 Barbaros
<BR>'95 Disco EFE</FONT></HTML>

- --part1_6b.151f571f.284742bb_boundary--

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 08:45:50 +0200
From: Paul Oxley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Learning by breaking

kyle vandyke wrote:
>  I just learned that shuddering at 55 mph may mean your
> U-joints are worn out - the hard way.  They make an ugly noise when they
> break.

But the pounding under the floorboards as the loose end of the propshaft
flails about wildly kind of gives it away ;-{)}

BTDT

Regards

Paul Oxley
AfricanAdrenalin.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 09:24:32 +0100
From: "Steve Mace" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Asbestos (was tuning by eye)

Hear! Hear!

On 30 May 2001, at 9:00, Faure, Marin wrote:

> I can understand the need to eliminate asbestos exposure in those instances
> where people are actually working with the material.  But the hysteria over
> asbestos is, I think, misplaced when it comes to things like brake and clutch
> linings which are machine-made.
> Asbestos is a very
> useful material.  Like nuclear power, the trick is to work with it
> intelligently, not simply ban it out of fear.  When they took asbestos out of
> brake and clutch lining material, I doubt it saved anyone's life, but it created
> new and expensive problems with brakes and clutches.

Steve

1972 SIII LtWt Green
1993 D90 Red
- -------------------------------------
Name: Dr Steve Mace
E-mail: [email-masked]
www: http://www.solwise.co.uk
Tel: 0845 458 4558 (local rate)
Fax: 0845 458 4559
Intl. Fax. +44 1482 621877
- -------------------------------------

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 04:28:15 -0500 (CDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Re: Re: Tuning by eye

On Wed, 30 May 2001 [email-masked] wrote:

:>But
:>its far, far from a 100% certainty that exposure will lead to cancer.
:>That's why it took so long to associate asbestos with the peculiar form
:of
:>cancer it causes.
:
:Mesaspeloma (sp?) is the cancer traced to asbestos.  Far more common is
:Asbestosis, an emphysema like condition, just as deadly.

Mesothelioma.  It's essentially unknown without exposure to asbestos.  It's
also got a very long onset of symptoms, on the order of between 20 and 40
years from exposure.
Lung cancer is also linked to asbestos.  Interestingly, lung cancer rates are
close to normal among non-smokers.  Among smokers, they're quite elevated.

:
:>Wearing a simple particle mask is more that adequate protection from
:asbestos dust.
:
:Just not true and you should know better.  All masks are not created
:equal.  The mask must be an effective filter of the fiber size in
:question, as not all fiber sizes cause the conditions.  The mask must
:also have an effective seal on the face.  I don't know of a single strap
:mask that can do that.  Any facial hair in the seal area will negate the
:best masks.

The fibre size involved is also quite small.  If you're working with the
stuff, get a proper mask.  A paper dust mask is not suitable.

:
:>  Best to wear a particle mask
:>and thoroughly clean brake areas with approved cleaner when working on
:your
:>brakes.
:
:The current OSHA approved method is to spray the brakes from at least 18"
:with an aerosol can of cleaner until the dust is wet then you can clean
:at close range.

Isn't the materiel supposed to be disposed of safely?  If you just scrape it
off onto the shop floor, you'll get fibres in the air when the waste dries.
Brake and clutch linings are still made with asbestos.

:
:> Even if you snorted the stuff, you probably
:>wouldn't get lung cancer.
:
:How about asbestosis?
:

One exposure is probably not excessively dangerous.  I'm not going to take
you up on the offer, though.  Asbestos is nasty stuff.  Some of the
replacements are just as bad.

- -- 
[email-masked]
Bipedalism is only a fad.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 06:49:07 -0400
From: Jeff Berg <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Re: West Marine

>Actually, in our part of the world (Pacific Northwest), the marine VHF weather
>channels (WX 2,3,4, and 5) are distinctly marine-only broadcasts.

That's interesting. No such luck here on the Eastern Seaboard--I have 
to sit through the forcast for Central Park before I can get the 
marine information--which covers a huge chunk of ocean and all of 
Long Island Sound with a single blurb...

jeff
- -- 
==
  Jeffrey A. Berg     Purple Shark Media        Rowayton, CT
                     [email-masked]
                      ==================
	My garden is full of papayas and mangos.
	My dance card is filled with merengues and tangos.
	Taste for the good life,
	I can see it no other way.
		--Jimmy Buffett, Lone Palm (live version)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 08:20:26 -0400
From: Easton Trevor A <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: RE: Lead pencils and brakes

> I'm not sure that I follow this properly, however, is it the idea that one
> 
> drills a series of holes vertically near the leading edge face of the
> shoes 
> and inserts bits of graphite pencil leads?
	That's the idea.

> If so, then isn't the efficiency of the braking system compromised because
> 
> after all, graphite is a lubricant?
> 
The braking isn't compromise by the lubrication because actually brake
linings have a fairly low coefficient of friction anyway.  The braking might
actually be improved because of the elimination of stick/slip which makes
the action smoother.

> I reduced brake squealing to next to nothing by chamfering the leading
> edge 
> of the shoes to a 30 or 45 degree angle on the advice of someone who had 
> dealt with similar problems in MG's.
	That works too. Also for disk brake pads.

>                                              Rick Grant
> 
>   				  1959 Series II   "88"
> 				  VORIZO
> 
> 
> 
> Rick Grant Communications
> Media and Crisis Management
> Calgary Ottawa
> www.rickgrant.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 14:34:39 +0100
From: "Andy Woodward" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Low/no sulfur diesel fuel

\gasoline in this country (US).  I'm curious if the owners of 
\2.25 diesel engines are facing similar potential problems as the 
\sulfur in diesel fuel is phased out?  Our trawler, which was built 
\in 1973, is fitted with two, large, six-cylinder diesels.  These 
\engines 
\were designed to be run on fuel containing sulfur.  I don't know why 
\the fuel companies put sulfur in diesel fuel, but they did.  Now the 
\sulfur 
\content of diesel fuel is being reduced, and in some cases 
\eliminated to reduce harmful emissions.  I have been told by the 
\shop that 
\works on our engines, and I have read in several boating articles, 
\that it's 
\important to use a fuel additive with older diesel engines like ours, 
\to restore 
\the lubrication of the fuel injectors and parts of the injector or 
\distributor pumps 
\that used to be provided by the sulfur in the fuel.  The pumps 
\themselves are 
\lubricated with engine oil, but there are apparently components 
\within them 
\that get their lubrication from the fuel passing through.  The shop 
\didn't say 
\anything about the importance of sulfur to the valves and valve 
\seats, however.

We've had these problems over here where we've had Ultra Low 
Sulphur Deisel for a while. According to the guy in the local deisel 
service place, its more common than folk realise. But the fix is 
apparently simple, according to the UK-lro list, who have discussed 
this over teh last couple of years. Just add a cup of cheap engine 
oil to each fill up. This then lubricates teh pump. Probably puts the 
emissions back wher they were before, or worse, but who cares if 
the damned stuff is wearing out your DPS pump?????? DPS 
pumps cost a LOT of money.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 10:25:46 -0400
From: Lori Sickley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Re: Smiths temp sender

Some links : )

http://www.lrfaq.org/Series/FAQ.S.gauges.html

http://www.nisonger.com/

Lori in PA

>The "liquid" is actually ether vapor, which would be hard to refill yourself.
>If you are in the US, Nissonger in the Northeast US (NY or NJ area?) rebuilds
>these and a company called Momar in the Western US (Nevada, Colorado?) does
>also. British Pacific has used the latter company for a while and could
>probably get you in touch with them (they rebuilt one for me that sprang a
>leak during installation).
>
>Hope that helps,
>
>Karen Sindir
>'74 SIII 88 Red Rufy
>'66 SIIa 88 Barbaros
>'95 Disco EFE

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 10:36:54 -0700
From: "Faure, Marin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: RE: Asbestos (was tuning by eye)

Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 15:36:03 -0400
From: Easton Trevor A <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: RE: RE: Asbestos (was tuning by eye)

> Not sure if it works for disc brake pads but for brake shoes you put
plugs of 2B pencil lead (Graphite) in the leading edge of the shoe. I use
2mm clutch pencil leads. Just drill a 1.99mm hole in the lining a break opff
a piece of lead in each hole. Two rows of holes, staggered to cover most of
the width seems to do the trick.  This was a Rolls-Royce recommended 
procedure on drum brakes. The graphite lubricates the lining enough to 
prevent the stick/slip that causes squealing.

Actually, the graphite does not do anything to lubricate the lining.  The 
purpose of the lead "inserts" in the edge of the lining (not the face) is to 
dampen the high-frequency vibrations that are the actual source of the squeal.  
It works for both pads and shoes.  You drill a series of holes in the leading or 
upside edge of the shoe or pad lining parallel to and as close as possible 
to the backing plate.  Insert the lead cores that you cut from pencils.  
It's important to make sure the 
holes face up, otherwise the lead cores might fall out, although under the high 
heat generated in the brakes, they probably become pretty well bonded to the 
lining material in a short time.  The lead "breaks up" the vibration in the pad or 
shoe, and no more squeal.  The mechanics who taught me this technique never 
said anything about the graphite doing any lubrication.  They described the lead 
as a vibration dampener.  I've used this technique on our Range Rover with (so far) 
perfect results, where we used to get quite a bit of squeal at low speeds.

_________________________________________
C. Marin Faure
Producer/Director, Boeing Video Services
telephone (425)393-7721
mobile (206)650-5622
fax: (425)393-7741
e-mail: [email-masked]

------------------------------

End of LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * V1 #392
**********************************************