Subject: LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * V1 #390

From: [email-masked] (LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * *)
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 04:49:33 -0400

LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * Wednesday, May 30 2001 Volume 01 : Number 390

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 14:33:37 -0600
From: "Coates, Clinton" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: lashing cleats

In Sheppard's VDE Guide, there is a good section on lashing and loading.  On
page 4.2-33, there are pictures of the "regular" land rover issue "long D"
shaped lashing cleats that protrude into the load section of the vehicle.
More interesting, however, is a rear interior shot of a blue 90 with super
nifty flush mounting lashing points.  Basically, an approximate 3" square
chunk is removed from the upper inside wheel wells and a bar mounted in
place.  Hard to describe, but the picture tells volumes.  Sheppard gives LR
part numbers for the new and old style LR long-D cleats, but is
frustratingly silent on these recessed cleats, other than to say that they
are "better" (no kidding!).  I have heard rumours that these are a (new?)
British MOD issue, or perhaps custom made.  Anyone know where to get them?
Anyone know how to get ahold of Sheppard?  Anyone?

Clinton

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 18:20:12 -0400
From: "Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: GM alternator recommendations

Thanks to your info re. the case designation I was able to call up
sounding like a knowledgeable consumer instead of some poor schmuck who
drives a really old Pontiac Sunbird.

bill

Bravo - knowledge is power.....about 95 amps worth...8*)

               ajr

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 15:47:28 -0700
From: "Faure, Marin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: West Marine

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 11:33:48 -0500
From: Jeff Berg <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Re: West Marine

>The Weather forecasts are the standard NOAA broadcast--you get marine 
along with the rest of it.

Actually, in our part of the world (Pacific Northwest), the marine VHF weather 
channels (WX 2,3,4, and 5) are distinctly marine-only broadcasts.  They do not 
include the "standard" NOAA weather information available on, say, the WX 
band on some car radios.  Up here, VHF-WX 2 and 3 are western Washington 
marine forecasts and current conditions, and 4 and 5 are the same type of 
broadcasts but are from Environment Canada and cover the coastal waters of 
southern BC.

_________________________________________
C. Marin Faure
Producer/Director, Boeing Video Services
telephone (425)393-7721
mobile (206)650-5622
fax: (425)393-7741
e-mail: [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 17:53:45 -0500 (CDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Low/no sulfur diesel fuel

On Tue, 29 May 2001, Faure, Marin wrote:

:We've talked about the potential valve seat recession problems
:in the 2.25 petrol engine as a result of the elimination of leaded
:gasoline in this country (US).  I'm curious if the owners of
:2.25 diesel engines are facing similar potential problems as the
:sulfur in diesel fuel is phased out?  Our trawler, which was built
:in 1973, is fitted with two, large, six-cylinder diesels.  These engines
:were designed to be run on fuel containing sulfur.  I don't know why
:the fuel companies put sulfur in diesel fuel, but they did.  Now the sulfur

They didn't put it in, they just neglected to remove it.  Sulfur occurs
naturally in crude oil, and may be a byproduct of distillation (sulfur
content is certainly controllable by distillation processes).  It's in the
fuel because it's more expensive to make fuel without it.

Low-sulfur fuels can be a problem for fuel pumps, distributor pumps, and
injectors, as these things are often dependent on the lubricity of fuel.
I don't think there are problems with valves and valve seats.  I've
certainly never heard of any.  High-quality low-sulfur has additives
already in compenstate for lack of sulfur.  I think there are some
standards for this.  Check with your fuel supplier.

- -- 
[email-masked]
Bipedalism is only a fad.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 16:00:14 -0700
From: "Faure, Marin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: Tuning by eye

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 15:50:39 -0400
From: Easton Trevor A <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO: Re: Tuning by eye

>It's not the CAT but the lack of lead. Miss Golightly has no CAT and
still has a black exhaust no matter how lean she burns. Marin probably still
has lead in the tank from the last time he filled up :-)

My SIII gets good mileage, but not THAT good..:-).  I suspect the lead in 
my fuel is from the hours I spend after every fillup filing the lead cores I carefully 
extract from No.2 pencils into my tank with a piece of sandpaper.  That'll teach 
the gummint from messing around with my fuel.

Actually, I DO extract the lead cores from No. 2 pencils, but it's for our Range Rover, 
to keep the brake pads from squealing.  Works like a charm.  Not 
my idea, but "stolen" from a Rolls Royce mechanic I used to know.  It's how he 
(and other Rolls Royce shops) stopped the brakes on the cars they service from 
squealing after the idiot government had the asbestos removed from brake lining.

Why is it that car ownership is becoming more and more a case of developing 
workarounds to thwart the rules the government is imposing on us that take 
what used to work just fine and make it not only work not so fine, but make it 
harder than ever to fix?

_________________________________________
C. Marin Faure
Producer/Director, Boeing Video Services
telephone (425)393-7721
mobile (206)650-5622
fax: (425)393-7741
e-mail: [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 19:04:15 -0400
From: "Scott Wickham Jr." <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: RE: Rear Main Seal Replacement

 which is the path of least resistance pulling the trans and doing it
in-place or lifting the enging out to do it.

  Pull the tranny.  You can seperate the xcase from tranny to be able to
lift yourself or hoist them together.  Use the truck as a run up stand after
you get the seal in and see if it leakes or not when your done.  Dental
picks help alot.

Scooter

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 19:06:00 -0400
From: "Scott Wickham Jr." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO: Rear Main Seal Replacement

Steve, the engine really should come out as the crank must be pulled to
replace the seal.

  I've done it without pulling the crank.  I felt it best to not disturb the
bearings as the rest of the engine was running so well.  Other than the seal
of course.

Scooter

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 16:10:00 -0700
From: "Faure, Marin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: STP (was Re: Marvel mystery oil)

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 18:12:09 -0400
From: Stephen West-Fisher <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Re: Marvel mystery oil

>Actually, I have heard of (and used) a good use for STP. When you are
building up an engine use STP (straight) instead of oil. Back when my
dad had a garage (late '60s early '70s) they built a lot of race engines
and used this method. Seems the STP did a good job of lubricating
everything on the first start before the pump got pressure up...

Yes, I have heard this, too.  When building up an engine, coat 
all the moving parts with STP as they are installed, which will 
lubricate them during the initial startup until the oil pressure 
builds properly.  Given the clingy qualities of STP, I can see how 
this is probably a good practice.

But when I added STP to the oil of my new SIII back in the 
early '70s, the noise inside the engine was not pleasant to  
listen to, and it knocked like crazy driving the few blocks home, 
where I immediately changed the oil before starting the engine 
again.  As soon as I got the STP-laden oil out, the engine 
went back to it's normal quiet running, and the knocking 
(pinging, not mechanical knocking) was gone.  I didn't bother 
to analyze why the STP had caused all the racket and 
pinging; I simply never used it again in an engine.

_________________________________________
C. Marin Faure
Producer/Director, Boeing Video Services
telephone (425)393-7721
mobile (206)650-5622
fax: (425)393-7741
e-mail: [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 23:19:56 
From: "kyle vandyke" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: lurking no more

>Hi Kyle
>
>So having experienced the benefits of the list are out of "lurk mode" now?

I'm officially 'out' now.  Being a mechanical novice I haven't had much to 
offer before but after the past year's work I can hopefully help others from 
a new rover owner/mechanical idiot point of veiw.  I've learned alot about 
rovers by breaking things then figuring out what they do, how they work, and 
how to fix what I screwed up.  I'm trying to avoid the breaking things part 
these days.
Kyle Van Dyke
1971 SIIA 109 Petrol - Guam's only Series Rover
1992 RR
_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 18:34:07 -0500 (CDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Re: West Marine

On Tue, 29 May 2001, Faure, Marin wrote:

:Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 11:33:48 -0500
:From: Jeff Berg <[email-masked]>
:Subject: Re: LRO: Re: West Marine
:
:>The Weather forecasts are the standard NOAA broadcast--you get marine
:along with the rest of it.
:
:Actually, in our part of the world (Pacific Northwest), the marine VHF weather
:channels (WX 2,3,4, and 5) are distinctly marine-only broadcasts.  They do not
:include the "standard" NOAA weather information available on, say, the WX
:band on some car radios.  Up here, VHF-WX 2 and 3 are western Washington
:marine forecasts and current conditions, and 4 and 5 are the same type of
:broadcasts but are from Environment Canada and cover the coastal waters of
:southern BC.

Depending where you are in the US, NOAA weather can be on any of seven WX
frequencies.  There's a list of all the NOAA stations, including call signs,
frequencies, and geographic coverage at
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/nwrtrans.htm

David

- -- 
[email-masked]
Bipedalism is only a fad.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 13:44:07 -1000
From: "Peter Ogilvie" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: RE: Rear Main Seal Replacement

Pull the engine unless you don't like yourself.  Trying to get the crank and 
the bearing support back in, all the time fighting gravity would be great 
fun.  I can't imagine anyone willingly trying to to R&R the seal in place 
except in an utter emergency.  FWIW Hardest part is getting the cork 'T' 
seals on the bearing support.  BTW Get Genuine seals, the cork 'T' seals 
have a bit of plastic that aids in slipping them in and the spring in the 
oil seal goes together a lot easier with the OEM parts.

Aloha
Peter Ogilvie
Kona Coffee Rover
1970 88 soft top, 'huli' Mine since '84 but recovering
     from exposure of the dark side.
1966 109 pickup 'slime'  In my garage since '90, finally running.
1965 88 parts car, slowly sinking into the lava.
196? 88 hard top, possibly 'phoenix' if it rises, it will
     certainly be from ashes or at least a pile of rust

om: "Scott Wickham Jr." <[email-masked]>
>Reply-To: [email-masked]
>To: <[email-masked]>
>Subject: LRO: RE: Rear Main Seal Replacement
>Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 19:04:15 -0400
>
>  which is the path of least resistance pulling the trans and doing it
>in-place or lifting the enging out to do it.
>
>   Pull the tranny.  You can seperate the xcase from tranny to be able to
>lift yourself or hoist them together.  Use the truck as a run up stand 
>after
>you get the seal in and see if it leakes or not when your done.  Dental
>picks help alot.
>
>Scooter
>

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 23:48:20 
From: "kyle vandyke" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Mounting Sand Rails

I've got a pair of sand rails (galvanized steel about 25 lbs each) that I 
want to mount on the sides of my soft top 109.  I was going to get a shop to 
fabricate some mounts based on pictures of the pink panther rover.  My 
question is do I need some special reinforcement along the sides?  Pink 
Panthers appear to have some type of reinforcement panel running the length 
of the side (or maybe it's just bulletproofing - not really needed on my 
rover.) Anyone else have experience mounting similar heavy objects to the 
rear panels?
Thanks,
Kyle Van Dyke
1971 SIIA 109
1992 RR
_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 21:09:48 -0300
From: [email-masked] (John Cranfield)
Subject: Re: LRO: John Cranfield...

Actually I do not have the virus I just thought I had and was attemping
to warn evryone that I might have passed it on. I then sent a "don't
worry" message when I was told that it was a hoax.
Sorry for any inconvenience.
John and Muddy

Matt Peckham wrote:
> 
> you have been infected.  You are sending out a virus.  It goes under the
> heading (FWD:Virus Warning)
> 
> Might want to debug yourself.  Deep Windows Off! works best.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 20:12:00 EDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: LRO: Re: Gas tank float

- --part1_63.16b0567b.284594d0_boundary
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

In a message dated 5/29/01 3:24:29 PM Pacific Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> .  The rod may have been calibrated
> > in gallons- I don't know as I've never flown one of those planes.
> 
> The J3 I learned to fly in wasn't calabrated. When the lack of exposed
> wire made you nervious, you landed. Sometimes on the road beside the
> filling station :-)
> 
> 

My Luscombe 8-A, was calibrated in 1/4 ; 1/2;  3/4;  and Full. It read via a 
cork float, and lever with gearset behind a little glass window. The gauge 
was right behind the pilots head. Much like Perrones' CB.  

Back then it was "improper" according to the FAA to run auto gas in your 65 
"screaming horsepower" wonder. If you were clever though when you put the gas 
can down at the pump in town, the AVGAS label was toward your tire. When you 
were pouring it into the plane it was toward the rest of the flight line. Now 
sadly, it is legal with the right paperwork, and pilots have one less thing 
to be clever about. All discussion about whether it is clever or not can be 
tabled for later.

Zack

- --part1_63.16b0567b.284594d0_boundary
Content-Type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3 FAMILY="SERIF" FACE="Book Antiqua" LANG="0">In a message dated 5/29/01 3:24:29 PM Pacific Daylight Time, 
<BR>[email-masked] writes:
<BR>
<BR></FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">
<BR><BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">. &nbsp;The rod may have been calibrated
<BR>&gt; in gallons- I don't know as I've never flown one of those planes.
<BR>
<BR>The J3 I learned to fly in wasn't calabrated. When the lack of exposed
<BR>wire made you nervious, you landed. Sometimes on the road beside the
<BR>filling station :-)
<BR>
<BR></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR></FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SERIF" FACE="Book Antiqua" LANG="0">
<BR>My Luscombe 8-A, was calibrated in 1/4 ; 1/2; &nbsp;3/4; &nbsp;and Full. It read via a 
<BR>cork float, and lever with gearset behind a little glass window. The gauge 
<BR>was right behind the pilots head. Much like Perrones' CB. &nbsp;
<BR>
<BR>Back then it was "improper" according to the FAA to run auto gas in your 65 
<BR>"screaming horsepower" wonder. If you were clever though when you put the gas 
<BR>can down at the pump in town, the AVGAS label was toward your tire. When you 
<BR>were pouring it into the plane it was toward the rest of the flight line. Now 
<BR>sadly, it is legal with the right paperwork, and pilots have one less thing 
<BR>to be clever about. All discussion about whether it is clever or not can be 
<BR>tabled for later.
<BR>
<BR>Zack</FONT></HTML>

- --part1_63.16b0567b.284594d0_boundary--

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 17:45:47 -0700
From: "Paul Quin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Rear Main Seal Replacement

I just did this job a few weeks ago.

I went the rout of pulling the engine just because I'd never done it before
and I wanted to have a good look-see inside.  Pulling the engine is really
not that difficult.  Replacing the seal is strait forward as long as you
follow the manual closely.  You do not have to remove the crank, just the
rear main bearing cap.  The spring that goes in the seal must be handled
with care.  You might want to check the crankshaft end float and maybe order
up a set of thrust bearings (maybe oversized if there is play) as the same
time.  These are cheap and also an easy swap.  They fit inside the center
bearing.

Is your friends 109 a II or IIA?  The seal for the SII is different and
probably NLA.  The SIIA seal will work fine but needs a few extra bits to
put it in (two half moon retainers).

Hope this helps...

Paul Quin
1961 SII 88
Victoria, BC

- ----- Original Message -----

> Steve, the engine really should come out as the crank must be pulled to
> replace the seal.
> --

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 19:06:35 -0600
From: "Todd Kendrick" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: Stray 88"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

- ------=_NextPart_000_0237_01C0E872.7B0F7420
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="Windows-1252"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Did it have a Taos county tag ? Sounds like a guy named Frank. He pulled =
me over on the road here one day to chat. I will give the guy credit he =
has driven the old '60 Series II 88" all over the country; I know he has =
been to Florida and back several times. It was redone mechanically =
before he purchased  and was in decent shape. Saw him again last year =
when he was passing thru town. Stay far far away unless you want company =
for a few days; you could probably find him at the local bar ! I don't =
know about  the Ferrari head though ??

Todd Kendrick
Taos, NM
'66 109" P/U

>Does anyone who belongs to a tan SIMI 88" with a front tow bar and =
Ferrarri
>conversion (head in the back) that's sitting at an auto repair facility =
in
>Fallon, NV?  It has New Mexico plates and though it seems a bit rough =
looks
>complete and has a great frame.

>Thanks - Steve Rochna, Fallon, NV.
>1972 SIII 88"
>1968 SIIB 110" FC

- ------=_NextPart_000_0237_01C0E872.7B0F7420
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="Windows-1252"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dwindows-1252">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4134.600" name=3DGENERATOR>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>Did it have a Taos county tag ? Sounds like a guy named Frank. He =
pulled me=20
over on the road here one day to chat. I will give the guy credit he has =
driven=20
the old '60 Series II 88" all over the country; I know he has been to =
Florida=20
and back several times. It was redone mechanically before he =
purchased&nbsp; and=20
was in decent shape. Saw him again last year when he was passing thru =
town. Stay=20
far far away unless you want company for a few days; you could probably =
find him=20
at the local bar ! I don't know about&nbsp; the Ferrari head though =
??</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>Todd Kendrick<BR>Taos, NM</DIV>
<DIV>'66 109" P/U<BR></DIV></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><FONT size=3D2></FONT></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><FONT size=3D2></FONT></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><FONT size=3D3>&gt;</FONT></FONT><FONT =
size=3D2><FONT size=3D3>Does=20
anyone who belongs to a tan SIMI 88" with a front tow bar and=20
Ferrarri<BR>&gt;conversion (head in the back) that's sitting at an auto =
repair=20
facility in<BR>&gt;Fallon, NV?&nbsp; It has New Mexico plates and though =
it=20
seems a bit rough looks<BR>&gt;complete and has a great =
frame.<BR><BR>&gt;Thanks=20
- - Steve Rochna, Fallon, NV.<BR>&gt;1972 SIII 88"<BR>&gt;1968 SIIB 110"=20
FC</FONT><BR><BR></DIV></FONT>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

- ------=_NextPart_000_0237_01C0E872.7B0F7420--

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 04:20:47 +0200
From: jos de vries <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: Re: Tuning by eye

>after the idiot government had the asbestos removed from brake lining.

In Holland the workmen working on the laying of the tiles for the pavement
and small roads were found to have a lot of astbestos in there lungs, short
after there backs were broken at 40 they developed lungcancer. The
asbestoslevel is high in the filling in sand between the tiles.

Jos de Vries
Delft, Holland
Land Rover SANTANA 109 D Especial '71
Land Rover 88 4x2 '75 LPG

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 10:21:28 -0400
From: "James G.Wolf" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: no sulpher diesel

>So I'm curious if the phase-out of sulfur in diesel fuel has the potential
to cause 
>valve seat (or other) problems in Series diesel engines.  Anyone know?
And if 
>the removal of sulfur brings with it potential problems, are there fixes
(like hardened 
>seats and valves, "sulfur substitute," etc)

USE MARVEL MYSTERY OIL...........

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 22:44:40 EDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: LRO: Militart frame bushings

The latest installment of "death by Rover" involves a parabolic spring swap 
on my late IIa style '71 ex-MOD 109.  While removing one of the front frame 
bushings I noticed that the new OME poly bushes measure approx. 30 mm (OD) 
while the front stock frame bushing appears to be a larger diameter.  The 
stock bushing had a center sleeve that was thicker than I remember and went 
all the way through, not two separate frame bushings like my '63 IIa was.  
The outer sleeve hasn't been removed yet.  (In fact, the undercoating is so 
thick I'm not sure there is an outer bushing sleeve.)  Without removing it 
the ID measurement comes in around 34 or 35 mm.  Of course, I already 
replaced the spring eye bushings with the OME poly bushes.

Is this front bushing size unique to MODs or is this a spec change relative 
to model year?  I don't have any reference to it (military) in my shop or 
parts manual.  The Robbers North catalog refers to a bushing change on '71 & 
later S III 109s, but doesn't elaborate.  This vehicle, being a military 
version, has lots of "interesting" things that differ from civilian vehicles 
of the same vintage, is this one of them?  Am I doomed to stock rubber 
bushings or can I upgrade to OME polys all the way around?

Thanks,

Bob Sharp
Tucson, AZ
The slumbering herd on the Rover Ranch:
52 Series I 80"
53 Series I 80"
60 Series II 88"
63 Series IIa 88"
71 Series IIa 109"
96 Discovery Series I 

"Why is it that every project you complete on a Land Rover results in 
knowledge and skills you hope you never need to use again?"

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 05:02:39 -1000
From: "Hope Peter" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Land Rover 5 bearing engines.

As mentioned a month ago, one of the locals got a reman exMoD 2.25 engines.
I don't remember if I asked at the time:
5 bearing or 3 bearing, are heads and trannies a straight forward switch?
I am planning on balancing my lower end.  This past weekend went off roading
with the 3rd Hawaiin Pete and his Series III 109.  He has a balanced 5
bearing.  Thing was a real strong puller, could do 55 up steep grades and 70
on the flats.  I like the idea of having the 5 bearing lower, but want to
ensure that my ACR head and series IIa tranny will bolt up.

TIA
Pete

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 21:10:01 -0600
From: "William J. Rice" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: weird Salisbury leak

I noticed while Mrs. Merdle was reduced to new chassis on axles that oil
was dripping from the center of the drive flange on my Salisbury.  Now
that she's operational, there are definitely oil splatters on the chassis
and muffler.  She's leaking, for sure, but it's not the usual pinion seal
leak ( I took care of that w/ a speedi sleeve and new seal a year or two
ago).  It's now leaking out through the splines.  
I don't recall this having any sort of felt washer arrangement.  Should I
pull the drive flange and smear some RTV or some of that
cheeze-whiz-esque gasket stuff in the splines and then tighten her back
up?  Or should I take the easy way out and simply drop the driveshaft and
seal the mating surfaces where it meets the diff drive flange?  Heh heh .
. . 
Or is my diff over-full?  It has been overfull the last few times I've
checked it.  I think perhaps it was blessed by Elisha and is now actually
producing gear oil.
I have raised breathers, but, yes, I will check to see if they're
clogged.  The weird thing is that this leak (apparently) started while
she just sat, when internal diff pressure wouldn't have been an issue.

yours truly,
bill

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 23:19:10 -0700
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: LRO: Low/no sulfur diesel fuel

Marin, diesel exhaust seats are top of the line stuff, 55 - 58% Nickle. 
Those seats can stand up to Turbo anti-lag engine management settings
(retard timing 40+ degrees and turn the fuel up under closed throttle
over run, so the fuel burns in the exhaust before the turbo).  If you
have exhaust temp. like that you have a BIG problem.  

I have been hearing reports of fuel injection pump ware from low sulfur
fuel on Bosch and Specia pumps,  so I would use the ad datives in the
fuel.

Chris hall

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 05:45:26 -1000
From: "Hope Peter" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: weird Salisbury leak

> I have raised breathers, but, yes, I will check to see if they're
> clogged.  The weird thing is that this leak (apparently) started while
> she just sat, when internal diff pressure wouldn't have been an issue.

What I have always wondered is...what causes this pressure?
Is it the heating cooling/expanding contracting thermal dynamics thang?  Or
is it something to do with petroleum breaking down.

Pete

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 22:06:12 -0600
From: "William J. Rice" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Re: weird Salisbury leak

On Tue, 29 May 2001 05:45:26 -1000 "Hope Peter" <[email-masked]>
writes:
> What I have always wondered is...what causes this pressure?
> Is it the heating cooling/expanding contracting thermal dynamics 
> thang?  Or
> is it something to do with petroleum breaking down.
> 
> Pete

My understanding is that the pressure develops as everything warms up and
the air inside the diff / swivel ball/ tranny expands.  Regular breathers
enable the pressure to escape, I guess air makes its way back in as the
thing cools.  Raised breathers enable a more rapid (and more complete)
equalization of pressure, which becomes more important when you wade and
thereby rapidly cool your diffs, for instance.  
Raised breathers are also much less prone to clogging, tho' not
completely immune.  Ask my friend Travis, who thought he heard weird
noises coming from his rear diff and decided to check the oil level in my
(heretofore clean--yes, this is foreshadowing) driveway.  His oil level
was fine, and his raised breather had somehow clogged--he got a facefull
of oil, and I got a nice puddle on the driveway.  It was pretty funny.

bill

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 23:23:47 -0500 (CDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Re: weird Salisbury leak

On Tue, 29 May 2001, Hope Peter wrote:

:> I have raised breathers, but, yes, I will check to see if they're
:> clogged.  The weird thing is that this leak (apparently) started while
:> she just sat, when internal diff pressure wouldn't have been an issue.
:
:
:What I have always wondered is...what causes this pressure?
:Is it the heating cooling/expanding contracting thermal dynamics thang?  Or
:is it something to do with petroleum breaking down.
:
Heat.  Axles get hot, the air in the casing expands, and wants to go
somewhere.  If the breather is clogged, it'll force oil past a seal.
Usually it's the axle seals, at least on Rover axles, but the pinion seal
and the gasket between the diff and axle casing can leak because of this
too.  I had a breather get plugged up, and drove around for a couple of days
without it, while it was soaking.  I was suprised by the amount of oil that
appeared to have been expelled from the hole.

- -- 
[email-masked]
Bipedalism is only a fad.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 18:25:04 -1000
From: "Peter Ogilvie" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Land Rover 5 bearing engines.

The heads are the same, even for the 2.5.

I'm not sure from your post whether you are planning on buying a 5 main or 
not.  Anyway, the extra power is not in the crank.  5 main and 3 main 
engines put out the same hp, if every thing else is equal.
'Huli' has/had a 5 main and really couldn't tell the difference, in use, 
between that engine and a 3 main.  Personally, I wouldn't pay a premium for 
a 5 main engine.

If its power you're after and you want to spend the money, get a 2.5 short 
block.  Just be sure the proper flywheel is installed.  Assume its the 
normal flywheel, just metric, but remember getting sent a new flywheel a 
couple months after the engine arrived.  Never asked why, just used it since 
it was brand spanking new.

BTW  Starter motors are different for the 5 main engines so if you do go 
that route, don't forget to order a starter along with the engine.

Aloha
Peter O

>From: "Hope Peter" <[email-masked]>
>Reply-To: [email-masked]
>To: "Lro" <[email-masked]>
>Subject: LRO: Land Rover 5 bearing engines.
>Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 05:02:39 -1000
>
>As mentioned a month ago, one of the locals got a reman exMoD 2.25 engines.
>I don't remember if I asked at the time:
>5 bearing or 3 bearing, are heads and trannies a straight forward switch?
>I am planning on balancing my lower end.  This past weekend went off 
>roading
>with the 3rd Hawaiin Pete and his Series III 109.  He has a balanced 5
>bearing.  Thing was a real strong puller, could do 55 up steep grades and 
>70
>on the flats.  I like the idea of having the 5 bearing lower, but want to
>ensure that my ACR head and series IIa tranny will bolt up.
>
>TIA
>Pete
>

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

------------------------------

Date: 29 May 2001 21:38:41 -0700
From: Bryan Hoult <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Re: weird Salisbury leak

On Tue, 29 May 2001, "Hope Peter" wrote:

>What I have always wondered is...what >causes this pressure?

>Pete

Well, it's pretty late here, so I don't want to get too technical........  

It's the cumulative effect of 18  squirrels exhaling simultaneously while they work furiously to coordinate the rotational input from the pinion and translate it to the axles in specifically correct torsional force vectors. Where does the air come from originally for them to exhale you ask?  Well, from custom fit little scuba tanks, of course.

Bryan -16 hours into my work day - just 5 more test scripts to write tonight!

62 88
70 109 "Genie"

________________________________________________
PeoplePC:  It's for people. And it's just smart. 
http://www.peoplepc.com 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 05:48:54 +0100 (BST)
From: =?iso-8859-1?q?Robert=20Ries?= <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Liftgate

Just make sure not to knock said stick out with a careless swing
of an armful of toolbox, sending said gate into the back of ones
head, knocking face into edge of trunk, dropping toolbox down
shin and onto sandel-clad foot.  And don't even think of
laughing if you witness a close friend or family member doing
this.  Really.  Don't laugh hystericly as your Dad limps about
the lawn in a semi-cuncused daze while you roll paralysed in the
gravel.  I mean it.  Don't even try it unless you are some kind
of track star, 'cause Dad will catch you and throw you in a
stream where you will nearly drown laughing.  But it was worth
it.  (wondering how I ever survived childhood.)

Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 14:18:12 -0400
From: "RON WARD" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO: Liftgate/Lid question...

Good grief!  Do like my Dad did and carry a broom with the end 
sawed off and wedge it between the bumper and the lift gate to 
hold it open.

>>> [email-masked] 05/22/01 01:41PM >>>

Sorry, John - didn't realize.

Dumb question - are you sure it had 2 prop rods? Somewhere I 
seem to
remember lids w/only one....

I like the design on Miss Jessica - instead of the swing-out 
rods that drop
into forks it has sliding barss that latch in tracks. No-hands 
latching is
so nice - if a bit awkward to drop down again.

                    ajr

=====
Robert D. Ries
SSgt, USAF
Burwell, England
"With friends like these..."

____________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get your free @yahoo.co.uk address at http://mail.yahoo.co.uk
or your free @yahoo.ie address at http://mail.yahoo.ie

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 07:27:38 -1000
From: "Hope Peter" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Land Rover 5 bearing engines.

> If its power you're after and you want to spend the money, get a 2.5 short
> block.  Just be sure the proper flywheel is installed.  Assume its the
> normal flywheel, just metric, but remember getting sent a new flywheel a
> couple months after the engine arrived.  Never asked why, just used it
since
> it was brand spanking new.

Not so much power, but was interested in a stronger design.  Though I guess
a 2.5 would be better then a 2.25
Pete

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 07:28:46 -1000
From: "Hope Peter" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Re: weird Salisbury leak

> Well, it's pretty late here, so I don't want to get too technical........
>
LOL
too funny Bryan.
But it's not that late yet, not even 11pm there yet :-)

So need any scripting help?
Pete

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 19:37:22 -1000
From: "Peter Ogilvie" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Re: weird Salisbury leak

Somehow, Brian, I think your answer was tongue in cheek.  Long workday, 
huh!!

I'm sure part of the pressure buildup is from heat expansion, also, 
especially in Mountainous areas like Hawaii, its from altitude pressure 
differences.  Doesn't take much pressure to force the oil out.

Aloha
Peter

>From: Bryan Hoult <[email-masked]>
>Well, it's pretty late here, so I don't want to get too technical........
>
>It's the cumulative effect of 18  squirrels exhaling simultaneously while 
>they work furiously to coordinate the rotational input from the pinion and 
>translate it to the axles in specifically correct torsional force vectors. 
>Where does the air come from originally for them to exhale you ask?  Well, 
>from custom fit little scuba tanks, of course.
>
>Bryan -16 hours into my work day - just 5 more test scripts to write 
>tonight!
>62 88
>70 109 "Genie"
>
>
>
>
>
>________________________________________________
>PeoplePC:  It's for people. And it's just smart.
>http://www.peoplepc.com

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 20:05:24 -1000
From: "Peter Ogilvie" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Land Rover 5 bearing engines.

The bottom ends of the 2 1/4 are pretty stout.  Never heard of any problems 
with the 3 main.  I'd just rebuild your engine.  You wouldn't be gaining 
that much with a 5 main unless you plan on spinning it above 5,000 rpm 
continuously.  Go for the 2.5 if you feel you have to have a 5 main engine.

Aloha
Peter

>From: "Hope Peter" <[email-masked]>
>Reply-To: [email-masked]
>To: <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Re: LRO: Land Rover 5 bearing engines.
>Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 07:27:38 -1000
>
> > If its power you're after and you want to spend the money, get a 2.5 
>short
> > block.  Just be sure the proper flywheel is installed.  Assume its the
> > normal flywheel, just metric, but remember getting sent a new flywheel a
> > couple months after the engine arrived.  Never asked why, just used it
>since
> > it was brand spanking new.
>
>Not so much power, but was interested in a stronger design.  Though I guess
>a 2.5 would be better then a 2.25
>Pete
>

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 09:51:49 +0100
From: Ian Stuart <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Scottish All Rover Weekend..

On Tuesday 29 May 2001 20:57, you wrote:
> Ian Stuart <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >Cole Strange(?), with his wife Victoria, make it from Kettering -
> > and a few parts-folks made it - but I only saw 2 CD's - mine and
> > Peter E's.
>
> That'll be Cole Stage - a local chap who got posted to the UK for two
> years or so.  He's got a real nice 109 ambulance with a Mercruiser
> engine conversion.  Not sure if he took it with him back to the
> UK....
That's the lad!

Left his US collection behind... Now has an SIII pink panther (less 
most of the interesting bits), a Stage1 V8, and a DeerHound
- -- 
           --==**==--
Ian Stuart - EDINA, DataLibrary, University computing services.
- ---------------------------------
A man depriving some village, somewhere, of a first-class idiot
- ---------------------------------
http://lucas.ucs.ed.ac.uk/

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 10:48:00 +0200
From: Thorsten Klein <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: lashing cleats

"Coates, Clinton" schrieb:
> 
> In Sheppard's VDE Guide, there is a good section on lashing and loading.  On
> page 4.2-33, 
> More interesting, however, is a rear interior shot of a blue 90 with super
> nifty flush mounting lashing points.  Basically, an approximate 3" square
> chunk is removed from the upper inside wheel wells and a bar mounted in
> place.  

It is Sheppard's own Ninety, so they are probably custom made for him.
Also his redesigned dashboard is really good.

> Anyone know how to get ahold of Sheppard?  Anyone?

No, sorry
If you should find a source for this lashing points, please let me know.

Another neat lashing device i am considering to install is available at
http//parts.grade.de/ 
There you have to click on Aircraft-Zurrschienen.  

Hope this helps, Thorsten

Thorsten Klein
Mainz, Germany
[email-masked]
SIII Lightweight (with the original lashing cleats)
Defender 110 Tdi HT (no lashing cleats)

------------------------------

End of LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * V1 #390
**********************************************