LRO: Militart frame bushings

From: BSharp4601@aol.com
Date: Tue May 29 2001 - 22:44:40 EDT

    The latest installment of "death by Rover" involves a parabolic spring swap
    on my late IIa style '71 ex-MOD 109. While removing one of the front frame
    bushings I noticed that the new OME poly bushes measure approx. 30 mm (OD)
    while the front stock frame bushing appears to be a larger diameter. The
    stock bushing had a center sleeve that was thicker than I remember and went
    all the way through, not two separate frame bushings like my '63 IIa was.
    The outer sleeve hasn't been removed yet. (In fact, the undercoating is so
    thick I'm not sure there is an outer bushing sleeve.) Without removing it
    the ID measurement comes in around 34 or 35 mm. Of course, I already
    replaced the spring eye bushings with the OME poly bushes.

    Is this front bushing size unique to MODs or is this a spec change relative
    to model year? I don't have any reference to it (military) in my shop or
    parts manual. The Robbers North catalog refers to a bushing change on '71 &
    later S III 109s, but doesn't elaborate. This vehicle, being a military
    version, has lots of "interesting" things that differ from civilian vehicles
    of the same vintage, is this one of them? Am I doomed to stock rubber
    bushings or can I upgrade to OME polys all the way around?

    Thanks,

    Bob Sharp
    Tucson, AZ
    The slumbering herd on the Rover Ranch:
    52 Series I 80"
    53 Series I 80"
    60 Series II 88"
    63 Series IIa 88"
    71 Series IIa 109"
    96 Discovery Series I

    "Why is it that every project you complete on a Land Rover results in
    knowledge and skills you hope you never need to use again?"