Subject: LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * V1 #388

From: [email-masked] (LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * *)
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 10:54:38 -0400

LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * Tuesday, May 29 2001 Volume 01 : Number 388

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 17:47:51 -0000
From: "N Forbes" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Looking good

>I wonder what the odds are for one who would endure 3800 kms in a series
>rover over 5 days, with average breakdown times of every hour...

I think Dierdre is the only one. She's a keeper.

Niall Forbes
66 IIa 88SW - The Red Zit
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
The Nova Scotian Rover - http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/forbes/intro.htm

"See the happy moron,
He doesn't give a damn.
I wish I were a moron.
My God! Perhaps I am!"
- --author unknown

_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 19:57:32 -1000
From: "Hope Peter" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Tranny rebuild opinions sought

>
> Genuine parts aren't necessarily any better than non-genuine.  It might
> be worth using them for things like gears and shafts, just for the piece
> of mind, but for bearings and seals, get them locally.
>

I ordered my gears from LR Supermarket in  the UK.  They gave me the choice
of genuine parts or aftermarket (AllMakes I think)  I went aftermarket.
First time driving the truck off road, the first gear snapped in half.
Second time I ordered all genuine gears.

The next time I build a tranny I will use genuine gears.  It could have just
been a fluke, maybe I did something wrong pressing the gear on, or maybe it
was a bad part, I don't know.

I will always order stuff like this from the UK though.  All the gears and
bearings for the tranny weigh about 20 pounds.  With shipping and handling I
still saved over 30% from getting the parts from dealers in the states.

Pete

------------------------------

Date: 27 May 2001 11:18:54 -0700
From: Bryan Hoult <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Tranny rebuild opinions sought

On Sat, 26 May 2001, "Rich & Lori Williams" wrote:
 
>Because this task exceeds my
>abilities, I have two choices in this >matter and would like everyone's
>opinion.

I had the same quandary last summer, and as you may remember, I opted to have someone rebuild it because of my schedule.  I was working on the engine rebuild at the time, and wanted to get the truck on the road sometime this decade.  Anyway, I think you can do it with the assistance of the workshop manual.   

Bryan
62 88
70 109

________________________________________________
PeoplePC:  It's for people. And it's just smart. 
http://www.peoplepc.com 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 15:26:26 -0400
From: "Hank Rutherford" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Rollover Bar for sale

   Due to changes in the direction of an ongoing project vehicle, I am
selling a Betaweld swb rollover bar, purchased from Atlantic British this
past year.
I will be attending the R.O.V.E.R.S. trials in Pa. as well as The Birthday
Party at Silver Lake, Ontario, and can deliver it to either location.
Interested parties can contact me offline.

Hank Rutherford
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 22:22:36 -1000
From: "Hope Peter" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Land Rover Exhaust Pop

Going down hill, tranny in third, foot off gas, going about 30mph (5 over
speed limit).  As the hill steepens and the compression starts to kick in
more, I start getting a popping in the exhaust.
Is this timing advance to much?  It started after I installed the
pertronics, and I am still a bit to far advanced, slight ping coming back up
same hill.
TIA
Pete

------------------------------

Date: 27 May 2001 13:47:06 -0700
From: Bryan Hoult <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Land Rover Exhaust Pop

On Sun, 27 May 2001, "Hope Peter" wrote:

> Going down hill, tranny in third, >foot off gas, going about 30mph (5 over
>speed limit).  As the hill steepens >and the compression starts to kick in
>more, I start getting a popping in the >exhaust.

Pete,

I had the same problem with my pertronix install.  Back the timing off, especially until the ping stops.   

Bryan
62 88
70 109 "Genie"

________________________________________________
PeoplePC:  It's for people. And it's just smart. 
http://www.peoplepc.com 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 15:42:42 +0100
From: "Frank Elson" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Strong back was Transmission Removal

Bryan writes: >>>There are two trannies still down there someone will have
to help me with :-).<<<

two old fan belts, one round each end, scaffold pipe through them, both bend
down, get pipe on shoulders. Works for us... but not until my back repairs.
 Tranny is a two man job when you're well...

Best Cheers

Frank
    +--+--+--+
     I !__|  [_]|_\___
     I ____|"_|"__|_ | /     B791 PKV
     "(o)======(o)"    Bronze Green 110 CSW

------------------------------

Date: 27 May 2001 15:44:07 -0700
From: Bryan Hoult <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Strong back was Transmission Removal

Frank,

That's a good idea.  I especially like it for its incorporation of the fan belts.  I have a stockpile of used drive belts I can't seem to just throw out.  I used to replace them based on hours of usage in our refer facility.  I sold out of that business 4 years ago and I still have spare parts only applicable to custom applications built for our plants!  I wonder if being a pack rat is part of being a roverphile. 

Bryan
62 88
70 109 "Genie"

On Sun, 27 May 2001, "Frank Elson" wrote:

> 
> Bryan writes: >>>There are two trannies still down there someone will have
> to help me with :-).<<<
> 
> two old fan belts, one round each end, scaffold pipe through them, both bend
> down, get pipe on shoulders. Works for us... but not until my back repairs.
>  Tranny is a two man job when you're well...
> 
> Best Cheers
> 
> Frank
>     +--+--+--+
>      I !__|  [_]|_\___
>      I ____|"_|"__|_ | /     B791 PKV
>      "(o)======(o)"    Bronze Green 110 CSW

________________________________________________
PeoplePC:  It's for people. And it's just smart. 
http://www.peoplepc.com 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 20:42:59 -0400
From: Stephen West-Fisher <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Looking good

David Scheidt wrote:
> 
> On 26 May 2001, Bryan Hoult wrote:
> 
> :I've got good news and bad news.  The good news is she was smiling at
> :you.  96% of the females on the planet don't give a rat's hairy bum for
> :series trucks.  That's the bad news.
> 
> I've had experiences that suggest that series rovers work pretty well as
> chick magnents, particularly soft tops.  Works at least until they notice
> the lack of radio, air-con, and any sort of sound-deadening.
> 

Large Collie in the back makes up for the above shortcomings :-)

Steve

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 20:51:36 -0400
From: "Martin Rothman" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: need phone number...

Kevin Willey's number is:
825-0603

Regards,

Martin Rothman
_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 09:38:12 +0100
From: Ian Stuart <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Scottish All Rover Weekend..

Sitting here, at work, suffering from sunburn!

An absolutely *superb* weekend ~50 landrovers (which was almost the 
same number as all the rest of the entrants put together).

The Saturday was either a social gathering, or an observational run.

The Satuday evening was a meal out, followed by a quiz (our team, The 
Virginians Also [see below] won - yipee). The quiz was in 7 parts: 6 
catagories of questions (5 per catagory), plus 7 montages of vehicles, 
and you had to identify the vehicle.

Sunday was the car show, which included a simple driving competition..

The number of entrants from south of the border was .... disappointing.

Cole Strange(?), with his wife Victoria, make it from Kettering - and a 
few parts-folks made it - but I only saw 2 CD's - mine and Peter E's.

Cole is well know in some Land Rover circles (mainly the US area) as 
the man who welded a dumb-iron back on with welding-sticks, two sets of 
jump leads and two 12V Land Rover batteries!

Team "The Virginians Also" was myself and my wife (Krissie), Cole & 
Victoria, plus Paul Atkinson and hios wife, from Atkinson Restorations.
- -- 
           --==**==--
Ian Stuart - EDINA, DataLibrary, University computing services.
- ---------------------------------
A man depriving some village, somewhere, of a first-class idiot
- ---------------------------------
http://lucas.ucs.ed.ac.uk/

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 07:41:44 -0400
From: Ian Harper/ Donna-Claire McLeod <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Spring Bolts

- --------------D083186EE75265C04655C0DA
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; x-mac-type="54455854"; x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Just a quick query before I get the hammer out...Are the bolts that got
through the FRONT of the REAR springs threaded into the chassis
attachment point or not?  I know the ones at the back are threaded into
the shackle, but I can't remember if these are or not.

BTW it's on a 74 S3 SWB...

Cheers, Ian
- --

Ian Harper/Donna-Claire McLeod

Tantramar House Bed and Breakfast
106 Cobourg Street,
Stratford, Ontario N5A 3E6
Phone(519) 273-7771 Fax (519) 273-3993

http://home.golden.net/~tantramar

- --------------D083186EE75265C04655C0DA
Content-Type: multipart/related;
 boundary="------------FF5CB24E1935EF90EB60F5F8"

- --------------FF5CB24E1935EF90EB60F5F8
Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en">
<html>
<body link="#0000FF" vlink="#800080">
Just a quick query before I get the hammer out...Are the bolts that got
through the FRONT of the REAR springs threaded into the chassis attachment
point or not?&nbsp; I know the ones at the back are threaded into the shackle,
but I can't remember if these are or not.
<p>BTW it's on a 74 S3 SWB...
<p>Cheers, Ian
<br>--
<p><b><font face="Palatino">Ian Harper/Donna-Claire McLeod</font></b>
<dl>
<dt>
Tantramar House Bed and Breakfast</dt>

<dt>
106 Cobourg Street,</dt>

<dt>
Stratford, Ontario N5A 3E6</dt>

<dt>
Phone(519) 273-7771 Fax (519) 273-3993</dt>
</dl>
<img SRC="cid:[email-masked]" height=72 width=96>
<p><b><i><font face="Palatino"><A HREF="http://home.golden.net/~tantramar">http://home.golden.net/~tantramar</A></font></i></b>
<dir>
<dl>
<dd>
<b>&nbsp;</b></dd>

<dd>
<b>&nbsp;</b></dd>

<dd>
<b>&nbsp;</b></dd>
</dl>
</dir>

</body>
</html>

- --------------FF5CB24E1935EF90EB60F5F8
Content-Type: image/gif
Content-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: inline; filename="/StarMax%20HD/Temporary%20Items/nsmail2.gif"

- --------------FF5CB24E1935EF90EB60F5F8--

- --------------D083186EE75265C04655C0DA--

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 08:29:53 -0400
From: Easton Trevor A <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: RE: Spring Bolts

So far as I can remember, yes they are. The 'Green Bible" doesn't help, it
say the rears are screwed into the shackle plates but just says remove the
fronts and the part numbers are different for the two pins. I would try to
unscrew it and if it just rotates but doesn't come out then it's "hammer
time" .
Of course this is making the assumption that it rotates at all after nearly
30 years in place!!!
You missed some  fine mud yesterday. 18 vehicles out 15 LR, 1 Xterra, 1 Lada
Niva, 1 Jeep. Plenty of spare seats.

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	Ian Harper/ Donna-Claire McLeod [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent:	Monday, May 28, 2001 7:42 AM
> To:	LRO Digest
> Subject:	LRO: Spring Bolts
> 
> Just a quick query before I get the hammer out...Are the bolts that got
> through the FRONT of the REAR springs threaded into the chassis
> attachment point or not?  I know the ones at the back are threaded into
> the shackle, but I can't remember if these are or not.
> 
> BTW it's on a 74 S3 SWB...
> 
> Cheers, Ian
> --
> 
> Ian Harper/Donna-Claire McLeod
> 
> Tantramar House Bed and Breakfast
> 106 Cobourg Street,
> Stratford, Ontario N5A 3E6
> Phone(519) 273-7771 Fax (519) 273-3993
> 
> 
> http://home.golden.net/~tantramar
> 
> 
> 
>  << Message: Untitled Attachment >> 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 10:09:55 -0400
From: "Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Land Rover Exhaust Pop

Timing may be off but I would lay long odds you have an exhaust manifold
leak. Seen this one myself many times - usually when the downpipe loosens
up off the manifold.

                    ajr

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 16:13:15 +0100
From: Ian Stuart <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Spring Bolts

On Monday 28 May 2001 12:41, you wrote:
> Just a quick query before I get the hammer out...Are the bolts that
> got through the FRONT of the REAR springs threaded into the chassis
> attachment point or not?  I know the ones at the back are threaded
> into the shackle, but I can't remember if these are or not.
If I remember right, all the spring bolts thread into the 
shakle-plates, and are conter-locked by the nuts on the end of the bolt.

HOWEVER, the bolts that hold the spring into the chassis frame (ie, the 
leading end for all SII & SIII) have longer shanks, and only the nut is 
theaded - not the chassis

- -- 
           --==**==--
Ian Stuart - EDINA, DataLibrary, University computing services.
- ---------------------------------
A man depriving some village, somewhere, of a first-class idiot
- ---------------------------------
http://lucas.ucs.ed.ac.uk/

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 09:11:28 -0700
From: "Paul Quin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: Brakes !!!!!!!!!!

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

- ------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C0E756.2DAEAD80
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

No problem Dave, glad to help!

Question:  Did you take the plates off to weld them or did you manage to =
do them on the truck?  I've still got to weld up my rear posts and =
removing the plates is such a chore...

Paul.

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: [email-masked]=20
  To: [email-masked]=20
  Sent: Friday, May 25, 2001 5:59 AM
  Subject: LRO: Brakes !!!!!!!!!!

  Paul:=20

  Bingo  Welded the posts last night and Now have great brakes. Thank =
You for=20
  your input.=20

  Dave Walls=20
  1965 IIa 88=20

- ------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C0E756.2DAEAD80
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4611.1300" name=3DGENERATOR>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>No problem Dave, glad to help!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Question:&nbsp; Did you take the plates off to weld =
them or=20
did you manage to do them on the truck?&nbsp; I've still got to weld up =
my rear=20
posts and removing the plates is such a chore...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Paul.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: =
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=[email-masked]=20
  href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A =
title=[email-masked]=20
  href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Friday, May 25, 2001 5:59 =
AM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> LRO: Brakes =
!!!!!!!!!!</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV><FONT face=3Darial,helvetica><FONT size=3D2>Paul: =
<BR><BR><BR>Bingo=20
  &nbsp;Welded the posts last night and Now have great brakes. Thank You =
for=20
  <BR>your input. <BR><BR>Dave Walls <BR>1965 IIa 88</FONT>=20
</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

- ------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C0E756.2DAEAD80--

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 12:46:54 EDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: LRO: Re: Brakes !!!!!!!!!!

Paul:

Welded them in place. One pin was pulled from the back plate.

Dave Walls
1965 IIa 88 

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 12:21:42 -0500 (CDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Re: Brakes !!!!!!!!!!

On Mon, 28 May 2001, Paul Quin wrote:

:No problem Dave, glad to help!
:
:Question:  Did you take the plates off to weld them or did you manage
:to do them on the truck?  I've still got to weld up my rear posts and
:removing the plates is such a chore...

Paul,

You can do it in place.  Getting the top was a pain with the gun I was
using, though.

DAvid
- -- 
[email-masked]
Bipedalism is only a fad.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 13:55:37 -0400
From: "Jean-Leon Morin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Tranny query

Hey folks,

I am knee deep in transmission bits right now, trying to figure out what to
do with all these ford and rover bits. Here's where I am getting hung up.

Between the rover transmission and transfer case I am dissassembling, there
is a distance piece, with a saucer shaped disk pressed onto it, for oil
control I presume, on the main output shaft, where it exits the
transmission, and enters the T case. I have seen this before.

But, for some reason, I cannot remember ever seeing a seal riding on this
distance piece, that is in the transmission, next to the rearmost output
shaft bearing. The transmission is a series III suff. A, and I am wondering
if this was added later in the design, or my other rover transmission, which
had been previously redone I presume, had a missing seal, or is my mind
turning turning to blue spongy foam, like in that movies I saw once for
three bucks. The seal keeps oil in its respective case, which seems like a
pretty good idea, and I am incorporating it into my adapter plate (being
reworked, as everything I do is in a state of constant modification). I
don't remember ever seeing a seal on my suffix A series II lowrange transfer
case.

Can someone shine some light into this manner... I doubt putting a seal
there would hurt anything, I'm really only interested in knowing if there
was always a seal there in rover transmissions.

thanks,

J-L

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 23:25:25 -0400
From: Keith Tanner <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Gas tank float

Now I know why my gas gauge isn't working. The float, doesn't. There's a 
chunk of styrofoam on the end of the lever that seems to have lost the will 
to stay at the top. Is this material normal? I'm afraid of styrofoam 
chunking out into my tank and I'm not sure if it's a SPOT. I've got some 
rubber sump pump floats I could carve up...

Keith

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 23:28:19 -0400
From: Keith Tanner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Looking good

>I've had experiences that suggest that series rovers work pretty well as
>chick magnents, particularly soft tops.  Works at least until they notice
>the lack of radio, air-con, and any sort of sound-deadening.

Amen to that!

I also drive a fairly flashy Miata that I used to think got a lot of 
attention. Compared to Basil, it's nothing. One thing I have noticed is 
that the attention given to the Rover is more genuine. If people are 
interested, they're REALLY interested. With the Miata, they're sometimes 
just being polite.

Keith

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 23:21:27 -0400
From: Keith Tanner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Hotfoot!

An update. It turns out that the main reason for my steamy footwell is the 
big hole above my clutch pedal (my PO was a creative SOB when it came to 
anything clutch related). Hot air is pouring directly off the exhaust 
manifold onto my legs. Discovered this at 55 mph today as I wore shorts and 
felt the wind :) So I'll patch that little problem first. I've got header 
wrap in the garage (as seen on the experimental aircraft, etc) that I'll 
try next.

Keith

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 15:05:41 -0400
From: "Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Gas tank float

Styrofoam?

ICK.

The float should be a metal or a plastic-ish ball...don't use anything that
will react with fuel or MTBE or alcohol or any of the other crap they
inflict on us.

Methinks a visit to a scrapyard would likely source you something useful.

                    ajr

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 14:09:04 -0500 (CDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Gas tank float

On Sat, 26 May 2001, Keith Tanner wrote:

:Now I know why my gas gauge isn't working. The float, doesn't. There's a
:chunk of styrofoam on the end of the lever that seems to have lost the will
:to stay at the top. Is this material normal? I'm afraid of styrofoam
:chunking out into my tank and I'm not sure if it's a SPOT. I've got some
:rubber sump pump floats I could carve up...

Keith,

The floats I've looked at have been hollow platic.  (I think I've seen one
made of brass, too.)  Styrofoam I'd expect to disolve in gasoline in short
order.

- -- 
[email-masked]
Bipedalism is only a fad.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 15:25:58 -0400
From: Easton Trevor A <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: RE: Tranny query (Seal)

There should be a seal in the mainshaft bearing adapter that rides on this
distance piece. The disc is an oil thrower that presumably takes oil that
runs off the mainshaft gear in the transfer case and throws it up to the top
of the case so it will run down and lubricate the rear mainshaft bearing in
the transfer case or maybe it stops tranfer case fluid running back through
the mainshaft seal into the gearbox?.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 15:27:28 -0400
From: Easton Trevor A <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: RE: Gas tank float

Series II owners have brass balls

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 15:26:37 -0400
From: Keith Tanner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Gas tank float

>The floats I've looked at have been hollow platic.  (I think I've seen one
>made of brass, too.)  Styrofoam I'd expect to disolve in gasoline in short
>order.

I don't suppose a fishing float would work? Naah, that would be too cheezy 
and probably melt in the gas. But it's easier to get than a brass one :)

Is rubber gasoline-proof? Obviously it can be produced that way, but as a 
general rule?

Keith

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 09:44:36 -1000
From: "Peter Ogilvie" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Looking good

Must admit my soft top and/or topless Rovers get a lot of favorable, almost 
lustful looks and comments, from young women.  I'm not sure I'd relish the 
attention from the types of women, however, if I was still in the market for 
the attention.  Most seem to be under 20, dress in a way that used to 
indicate their professional status, and have more body piercings than my 
Rover by a factor of 3 or 4.  Sometimes, even the bodywork on the Rover is 
in better condition.  Might be that most of my recent in town trips seem to 
be to Walmart.  Definitely not the Abercrombie and Fitch crowd in that 
parking lot.

Yes, a Series Rover seems to attract overt attention from the Ladies, but 
I'm not sure that term accurately describes them.

Aloha
Peter Ogilvie
Kona Coffee Rover
1970 88 soft top, 'huli' Mine since '84 but recovering
     from exposure of the dark side.
1966 109 pickup 'slime'  In my garage since '90, finally running.
1965 88 parts car, slowly sinking into the lava.
196? 88 hard top, possibly 'phoenix' if it rises, it will
     certainly be from ashes or at least a pile of rust

>From: Keith Tanner <[email-masked]>
>>I've had experiences that suggest that series rovers work pretty well as
>>chick magnents, particularly soft tops.  Works at least until they notice
>>the lack of radio, air-con, and any sort of sound-deadening.
>
One thing I have noticed
>is that the attention given to the Rover is more genuine. If people are
>interested, they're REALLY interested. With the Miata, they're sometimes 
>just being polite.
>Keith

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 09:55:45 -1000
From: "Peter Ogilvie" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: RE: Gas tank float

Actually I think its negative earth Rovers.  Seem to recall all my negative 
earth trucks have a brass or some similar type alloy float.  Oh, by the way, 
its cylindrical not spherical.

The float arms on these trucks were rather ingeniously adjusted for length.  
The sender had a pickup arm that stuck into the tank and the float had a 
similar arm attached.  They just overlapped the two arm so the float was at 
the proper length then soldered the two arms together with two globs of 
solder.  It might be a way to attach an ersatz float to the old arm 
especially if its plastic or some other heat affected float

Aloha
Peter Ogilvie
Kona Coffee Rover
1970 88 soft top, 'huli' Mine since '84 but recovering
     from exposure of the dark side.
1966 109 pickup 'slime'  In my garage since '90, finally running.
1965 88 parts car, slowly sinking into the lava.
196? 88 hard top, possibly 'phoenix' if it rises, it will
     certainly be from ashes or at least a pile of rust

>From: Easton Trevor A <[email-masked]>
>Series II owners have brass balls

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 14:08:05 -0600
From: "Jim Hall" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Gas tank float

How about cannibalizing the float from a carburetor and soldering it on.

Keith Tanner wrote:
> 
> >The floats I've looked at have been hollow platic.  (I think I've seen one
> >made of brass, too.)  Styrofoam I'd expect to disolve in gasoline in short
> >order.
> 
> I don't suppose a fishing float would work? Naah, that would be too cheezy
> and probably melt in the gas. But it's easier to get than a brass one :)
> 
> Is rubber gasoline-proof? Obviously it can be produced that way, but as a
> general rule?
> 
> Keith

- -- 
Jim Hall
1966 88" Elephant Chaser
http://www.users.qwest.net/~jimfoo
"You know, I never really damaged my Rover 'till I started wheeling 
with Jim." Mitch Stockdale

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 17:06:25 -0800
From: "Bruce D. Fowler" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Gas tank float

- -----Original Message-----
From: Keith Tanner
:>The floats I've looked at have been hollow platic.  (I think I've seen one
:>made of brass, too.)  Styrofoam I'd expect to disolve in gasoline in short
:>order.
:
:I don't suppose a fishing float would work? Naah, that would be too cheezy
:and probably melt in the gas. But it's easier to get than a brass one :)
:
:Is rubber gasoline-proof? Obviously it can be produced that way, but as a
:general rule?
:
Keith,

I stole the cork from a stone jug in my kitchen to replace the fuel logged
float in my ser.II seven or eight years ago.
Still seems to be working.
ISTR having to bend the arm a few times so the gauge would read correctly.

Bruce F.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 17:40:08 -0400
From: "Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Gas tank float

Is rubber gasoline-proof? Obviously it can be produced that way, but as a
general rule?

Keith

Er....no. Don't try it - you don't want the contaminants in your engine.

Seriously, a metal or plastic float made for the purpose should be
inexpensive at an auto-parts place. Don't skimp on things that conatact
fuel - this is nasty-bad practice and can cause you nothing but grief.

                    ajr

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 01:47:04 
From: "kyle vandyke" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: The benefits of lurking

Hello all,
  Just wanted to thank all board members who had described the clutch 
unsticking procedure on this board in the past.  I've been working on my 
rover for the past 14 months (with very little prior automotive knowledge) 
and reading most of the posts just in case any similar problem ever happened 
to me.
   Yesterday, after she's been sitting in the driveway for the past six 
months, I finally got her restarted only to find that the clutch wouldn't 
engage.  I'd replaced all the clutch hydraulics (months ago) and everything 
seemed to be moving correctly but no functional clutch.  Then I remembered 
other folks decribing the same problem and being told about the clutch 
sticking to the flywheel.  I tried starting her up in gear a few times then 
ping! fully operational clutch.
  Just thought it was cool to draw on the knowledge I've learned while 
lurking and to actually fix something.
Thanks,
Kyle Van Dyke
1971 SIIA 109
1992 RR
_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 21:56:12 EDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: LRO: Looking good

David Scheidt <[email-masked]>posted:
 
<<I've had experiences that suggest that series rovers work pretty well as
chick magnents, particularly soft tops.  Works at least until they notice
the lack of radio, air-con, and any sort of sound-deadening.>>

Series Land Rovers can serve as both chick magnet as well as filter.  It can 
repell certain types while attracting others.  

In the early seventies I was astounded to discover that my 1951 Studebaker 
Pickup Truck worked very nicely as a chick magnet for very down-to-earth 
women.

Paul Donohue
1965 Land Rover 109
Denver

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 08:23:30 -0300
From: [email-masked] (John Cranfield)
Subject: Re: LRO: Looking good

A neighbour has a 53 Studebaker pickup. That has to be the best looking
pickup ever made.
John and Muddy

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> David Scheidt <[email-masked]>posted:
> 
> <<I've had experiences that suggest that series rovers work pretty well as
> chick magnents, particularly soft tops.  Works at least until they notice
> the lack of radio, air-con, and any sort of sound-deadening.>>
> 
> Series Land Rovers can serve as both chick magnet as well as filter.  It can
> repell certain types while attracting others.
> 
> In the early seventies I was astounded to discover that my 1951 Studebaker
> Pickup Truck worked very nicely as a chick magnet for very down-to-earth
> women.
> 
> Paul Donohue
> 1965 Land Rover 109
> Denver

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 13:41:32 -0200
From: [email-masked] (Wouter de Waal)
Subject: LRO: Looking for Pete Cosmides

#delurk

Hi all

Looking for Pete Cosmides. Anybody know if he still lives in NJ?

Wouter
#lurk

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 09:33:30 -0400
From: Lori Sickley <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Looking for Pete Cosmides

Try [email-masked] or a post to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ROVERS-List 
should get a reply.

Lori in PA
http://www.gotsoap.com

>#delurk
>
>Hi all
>
>Looking for Pete Cosmides. Anybody know if he still lives in NJ?
>
>Wouter
>#lurk

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 07:23:40 -0600
From: "William J. Rice" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: GM alternator recommendations

Hey all,
My alternator puked.   Well, actually I think I dropped it and broke the
stud on the back.  Ever since the frameover I've been thinking that we
wired the charge light wrong b/c it kept flickering.  Whilst out on the
trail with Jim Hall and Tim Czajka on Sat, it became apparent that my
alternator really wasn't charging.  If you wiggle the stud it'll keep on
doing so, but it's pretty sketchy.

At any rate, I need to replace it.  A GM unit's what I need (have a
pontiac engine anyway) and I'm wondering what's the beefiest one out
there.  I think last time I just got a 65A Sunbird Alternator.  Should I
be looking for something else?   I know this has been discussed but I
never seem to save e-mails til I think I need 'em, which is usually too
late.

TIA,
bill

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 10:12:22 -0400
From: "Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: GM alternator recommendations

Talk to a local rebuilder - the case you have is a 10SI case. Lots of times
they have "upgraded" ones that will give you 80 amps or so from that case
size (which is stock a 63Amp unit).

the 12SI case may or may not fit on the same mount - and that one is
nominally a 105 amp unit.

Talk to a local rebuilder - but be prepared for sticker shock...

                         ajr

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 08:06:05 -0700
From: "Monika & Steve Rochna" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Rear Main Seal Replacement

A friend of mine bought a 109 that has developed an oil leak out of the
wading plug hole.  I suspect a rear main leak.  I know the job is a big PITA
but which is the path of least resistance pulling the trans and doing it
in-place or lifting the enging out to do it.  Since the engine is strong and
a good runner he will not go for a total rebuild yet.

Thanks - Steve Rochna, Fallon, NV.
1972 SIII 88"
1968 SIIB 110" FC

------------------------------

End of LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * V1 #388
**********************************************