Re: LRO: Rear Main Seal Replacement

From: Paul Quin (pquin@home.com)
Date: Tue May 29 2001 - 20:45:47 EDT

    I just did this job a few weeks ago.

    I went the rout of pulling the engine just because I'd never done it before
    and I wanted to have a good look-see inside. Pulling the engine is really
    not that difficult. Replacing the seal is strait forward as long as you
    follow the manual closely. You do not have to remove the crank, just the
    rear main bearing cap. The spring that goes in the seal must be handled
    with care. You might want to check the crankshaft end float and maybe order
    up a set of thrust bearings (maybe oversized if there is play) as the same
    time. These are cheap and also an easy swap. They fit inside the center
    bearing.

    Is your friends 109 a II or IIA? The seal for the SII is different and
    probably NLA. The SIIA seal will work fine but needs a few extra bits to
    put it in (two half moon retainers).

    Hope this helps...

    Paul Quin
    1961 SII 88