Re: LRO: Low/no sulfur diesel fuel

From: David Scheidt (dscheidt@tumbolia.com)
Date: Tue May 29 2001 - 18:53:45 EDT

    On Tue, 29 May 2001, Faure, Marin wrote:

    :We've talked about the potential valve seat recession problems
    :in the 2.25 petrol engine as a result of the elimination of leaded
    :gasoline in this country (US). I'm curious if the owners of
    :2.25 diesel engines are facing similar potential problems as the
    :sulfur in diesel fuel is phased out? Our trawler, which was built
    :in 1973, is fitted with two, large, six-cylinder diesels. These engines
    :were designed to be run on fuel containing sulfur. I don't know why
    :the fuel companies put sulfur in diesel fuel, but they did. Now the sulfur

    They didn't put it in, they just neglected to remove it. Sulfur occurs
    naturally in crude oil, and may be a byproduct of distillation (sulfur
    content is certainly controllable by distillation processes). It's in the
    fuel because it's more expensive to make fuel without it.

    Low-sulfur fuels can be a problem for fuel pumps, distributor pumps, and
    injectors, as these things are often dependent on the lubricity of fuel.
    I don't think there are problems with valves and valve seats. I've
    certainly never heard of any. High-quality low-sulfur has additives
    already in compenstate for lack of sulfur. I think there are some
    standards for this. Check with your fuel supplier.

    --
    dscheidt@tumbolia.com
    Bipedalism is only a fad.