Re: LRO: RE: Marvel Mystery

From: Rick Grant (rgrant@cadvision.com)
Date: Tue May 29 2001 - 14:21:44 EDT

    Apropos of this discussion I came across the following comment last night
    on the Zenith Homebuilt mailing list archive. I'm not sure of the
    etiquette here so I haven't included the guy's email address but the
    archives can be found at

    http://www.matronics.com/search/

    >A few years back when I owned a racing engine R&D business with a in house
    >dyno I was approached by a big name oil additive company which I won't say
    >who they are, anyway they wanted to use my good name to tape an infomercial
    >showing a small block Chevy that was highly modified running without oil.
    >After some prodding it was revealed that this motor was built using roller
    >bearings throughout. Main and rod and cam bearings were caged needles with
    >all of the journals chrome plated to harden them. The piston skirts were
    >teflon coated with teflon buttons pressed into them. This rigged engine cost
    >them 34,000$ to build and they wanted me to state that I built this motor and
    >it was using regular bearing in it.The strange thing is that they went to
    >some guys up in the New England area and conned them into filming it there.
    >If you can run a motor without oil then why not just treat all motors with
    >this miracle stuff and put all of the oil companies out of business. The
    >truly amazing thing is that people watch these shows and believe them.
    >Remember if it is to good to be true it is BS. Anybody want to buy a bridge?

    Like Marin, I am deeply dubious about anything that is not approved by
    engine manufacturers but I must say that Radiator Stop-Leak has worked once
    or twice for me quite nicely.

                                                 Rick Grant

                                        1959 Series II "88"
                                      VORIZO