Subject: LRO: Marvels

From: "A. P. \"Sandy\" Grice" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 22:55:21 -0500

"Alex Maiolo" <[email-masked]> wrote"

>Marin-
>Sometimes I think *you* have bananas in *your* rocker cover...

Yeah...besides, everyone knowns you use bananas in the transmission.... ;-)

>Seriously, do you really lump MMO in with snake oil like Slick 50? One is a
>miracle cure, and the other is an additive that helps old engines operate
>smoother as they age and move into this time of designer fuels for which
>they weren't designed.

I rebuilt my engine at about 150,000 miles in a fit of 'shipwright's
disease' (...all I *really* needed was a clutch slave....)  Having changed
the oil every 3,000 miles, the guy at the machine shop reported only .007"
of wear on the cylinders and no discernable wear anywhere else...went with
.020 over pistons.  Being somewhat parsimonious (OK, a lot...), since I had
a set of valves in the kit for a dozen years, I installed those, not
stellite ones. Leaded fuel looked like it was going to hang around for a
while still.  Less than a year later, it was history....

What to do?  Paranoid about valve seat recession, I used ReLead, a marine
gas additive in the tank, and Marvel in the vapor lubricator.  One - or
both - of these substances works wonders.  I ran with non-stellite valves
for another dozen years.  A worn guide on #4 exhaust caused it to tilt and
eventually crack, but the other cylinders were still measuring 160#
compression.  Not to shabby....

>I think stuff like High Tach, which keeps your gears gooey after the oil has
>settled, has done a good job preventing my diffs, ODs, etc from wearing -
>it's not used to restore a worn out piece of trash. Neither is MMO.

Another product I believe in.  I have a temperature sender in the T-box.
When I installed the overdrive in '77, I figured the transfer case would be
working harder.  Adding High Tach reduces summertime operating temperatures
by 70 to 90 degrees and that has to be a good thing....

Cheers

  *----jeep may be famous, LAND-ROVER is legendary-----*
  |                                                    |
  |              A. P. "Sandy" Grice                   |
  |     Rover Owners' Association of Virginia, Ltd.    |
  |    1633 Melrose Parkway, Norfolk, VA 23508-1730    |
  |  (757)423-4898  (757)622-7054  FAX (757)622-7056   |
  |                                                    |
  *----1972 Series III 88"----1996 Discovery SE-7(m)---*