RE: LRO: Strong back was Transmission Removal

From: Peter Ogilvie (konacoffee2@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri May 25 2001 - 23:03:02 EDT

    Thought this was a universal saying "Strong Back, Weak Mind." Not
    necessarily true. I've got a weak back developed from working on Rovers.
    Think the Rover infection was originally responsible for weakening mind, at
    least rational reasoning when it comes to Rovers. Muscling around heavy
    rover bits like blocks eventually manifested itself as a ruptured disc.
    Hopefully carving up my back will eventually cure the nerve damage from the
    disk problem.

    Back problems are why I'm really down on playing King Kong with heavy parts.
      No fun having your right leg go paralyzed. I can pin the disc rupture to
    trying to lift one end of a bare engine block to clear a 1" step in my
    garage. The initial paralysis went away almost as fast as it took me to hit
    the ground. Unfortunately the damage had been done though its full
    ramifications took a couple of years to show up. I was bothered by niggling
    lower back problems/sciatica for a couple of years, thereafter. Then woke
    up from a nap in January with excruciating pain in my leg that proceded to
    creeping paralysis and numbness. 3 months after surgery I'm walking without
    a limp but cannot make the leg move forward quickly. Looks like my running
    days are over.

    So yes, you can muscle around most of the parts on a Rover. Is it worth the
    risk to your anatomy?? NO WAY!!!! The prospect of never walking again
    without crutches makes you acutely aware of your own mortality. So be
    prudent and don't Roveritis ruin your body, its already too late for the
    mind.