Subject: LRO: It's a Marvel

From: "A. P. (Sandy) Grice" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 16:51:42 -0400

Mike Rogers" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Do any of you guys or gals know of a product called Marvel mystery oil? I
>bought a US gallon today for two quid as a cheap substitute for Red X

Ahhh...MMO...wonderful stuff.  Also, a passable desert topping.... ;-)

It's a high flash-point oil that is supposed to survive cylinder
combustion, hence it can be used as a lead substitute to avoid valve seat
recession when using oxygenated fuels.  I used an "Ampco" vapor lubricator
to inject a controlled amount into the carb base and I ran with regular
valves for over a dozen years after leaded petrol went bye-bye.  Would've
gone longer, but one valve guide started to wear....

Cheers

	*-----"jeep may be famous, LAND-ROVER is legendary"----*
	|                 A. P. "Sandy" Grice                  |
	|    The Rover Owners' Association of Virginia, Ltd    |
	|     1633 Melrose Parkway, Norfolk, VA 23508-1730     |
	|     757-622-7054  (H)423-4898  (FAX)757-622-7056     |
	*------------------------------------------------------*