Was: Re: LRO: parabolic springs? Fact or fad?: Now: danger in the desert

From: Gerry Elam (k7lro@msn.com)
Date: Fri May 25 2001 - 00:42:03 EDT

    >Yep, 110 today in PHX.... am driving the Discovery today and still DIDN'T
    >use the air. We're headed out to the Devil's Highway (southern AZ close
    >to the Mexico border) this weekend where hopefully, it'll cool down to a
    >mere 103.

    It's a tough world for some people. Yesterday and today, there were 14 illegals found in the desert that died from exposure. It was 112 in Yuma and in this area, it was reported to be 117. I had to call the guy who is going with me and warn him that this is where we're headed on Saturday. Luckily, it gets down to the 70s and 60s at night.

    This has been a route for people crossing the desert since the early 1500's when the Spanish headed from Mexico towards the west coat. Along this trail, there are something like several hundred graves from those who didn't survive the crossing. Those who died over the last 48-hours where dumped by their "coyote" without any food or water and told the interstate was just ahead. There's a special place in hell for people like this.

    Off my soap box/trip report to follow on Monday.

    Cheers,
    Gerry Elam