Re: LRO: Transmission Removal

From: Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus (Alan_Richer@Lotus.com)
Date: Thu May 24 2001 - 06:50:08 EDT

    Dave sniggers:

    -and it sounds like your opinion on that is based merely on
    speculation- is much easier, and safer.

    It may be easier - but I will not say safer unless you have the top end
    already stripped out as if you were replacing it from above. In is still a
    major issue - changing angles and moving it to seat it is much easier when
    it doesn't have a single point of support.

    Maneuvering room under a vehicle on its wheels is simply too limited for my
    tastes - and yes I have replaced automobile transmissions from below on
    cars designed for it.

    With the right gear either way is simple - and I don't mean a floor jack
    for the bottom lift. That is tippy as Hell - and even Rover on their later
    models specified a carrier to be bolted to the transmissions for removal
    from below.

    Were I to do it this way I'd insist on a specialized transmission jack -
    ti's the safest and easiest way.

    My own favorite way to remove a transmission is in pieces - pull the
    transfer and gearbox separately if they're being serviced. It's not a lot
    longer, and the pieces are then light enough to manhandle in and out of the
    car by hand with little effort. Also, installing a gearbox this way is a
    piece of cake - set it on the guide pins, slip it forward and seat it. No
    fuss, no effort, no crane, and no back work.

    What do you have against removing a seatbox? 15 minutes with the air
    ratchet on any seatbox I've ever removed more than once and the thing's
    right out. Pop the seat bases, undo the bolts and Bob's yer uncle.

                             ajr