Subject: Re: LRO: sighting

From: "David G. Russell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 12:25:48 -0400

On 23/5/01 at 11:49, "N Forbes" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Anybody see "Motor Week" today on Speedvision? I turned it on partway
> through and they were at some Land Rover training course. First thing
> I saw when I switched to it was a SIIa (I think) leading a bunch of
> Discos and a Range Rover on a trail. It was pretty tame stuff but it
> was still cool to see. Wish I'd seen the whole piece.

Speaking of which, has anybody ever seen _any_ video footage from the
2000 British Invasion at Stowe?

There was a two person crew (who had done some Speedvision work, I
believe) there that went on the trials course (with Quentin and some
others I believe). Although they were filming for the BI video, they
said there might be a chance for broadcast.

-David

---

From: [email-masked] (LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * *)
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 11:49:19 -0400

LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * Wednesday, May 23 2001 Volume 01 : Number 382

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 17:53:22 -0400
From: Gerald <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: RE: Vampire: Mission Declassified

On Mon, 21 May 2001 17:37:51 -0400, you wrote:

>The Vampire and I will be at the OVLR BP.
>
>  Great!  I can't wait to see it.  I want to film as much of all the 101's
>as I can.  I'd like to see how the pneumatic mast works.  In between running
>the trails, drinking, talking with all the friends I only see at the
>rally's, drinking, winching, drinking...

You are welcome to buy me a pneumatic mast.  GPB1500 plus shipping and then
you can see it work. I suggest you bargain on the price, can't me much
demand for them.

- --
Gerald
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 18:09:32 -0400
From: "Scott Wickham Jr." <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO: RE: Vampire: Mission Declassified

You are welcome to buy me a pneumatic mast.  GPB1500 plus shipping and then
you can see it work. I suggest you bargain on the price, can't me much
demand for them.

  Oh, I thought I read that it had one.  Maybe it read "this is where one
would go" or something.  Have to pass on the purchase Gerald, that's too
many beer credits to spend on you.  So I didn't get from what I read, why is
it called a Vampire?

Scooter

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 18:35:37 -0400
From: Gerald <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: RE: Vampire: Mission Declassified

On Mon, 21 May 2001 18:09:32 -0400, you wrote:

>  Oh, I thought I read that it had one.  Maybe it read "this is where one
>would go" or something.  Have to pass on the purchase Gerald, that's too
>many beer credits to spend on you.  So I didn't get from what I read, why is
>it called a Vampire?

"Had" an antenna as in past tense.

I have seen two explanations for the name Vampire. One starts with Vehicle
and the other VHF (for Very High Frequency) and the rest is  Army Mobile
Position Indicating Interferometer Radio Equipment.

- --
Gerald
[email-masked]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 00:10:45 -0000
From: "N Forbes" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: sighting

Anybody see "Motor Week" today on Speedvision? I turned it on partway 
through and they were at some Land Rover training course. First thing I saw 
when I switched to it was a SIIa (I think) leading a bunch of Discos and a 
Range Rover on a trail. It was pretty tame stuff but it was still cool to 
see. Wish I'd seen the whole piece.

Niall Forbes
66 IIa 88SW - The Red Zit
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
The Nova Scotian Rover - http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/forbes/intro.htm

"See the happy moron,
He doesn't give a damn.
I wish I were a moron.
My God! Perhaps I am!"
- --author unknown

_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 20:32:37 -0400
From: "Lee Jones" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: RE: sighting

I think you saw the R.O.V.E.R.S. off road event in VA.  Speedvision took
pictures of it and it ran about 7 minutes (on a 1/2 hour show).

Lee

- -----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of N Forbes
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2001 8:11 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: LRO: sighting

Anybody see "Motor Week" today on Speedvision? I turned it on partway
through and they were at some Land Rover training course. First thing I saw
when I switched to it was a SIIa (I think) leading a bunch of Discos and a
Range Rover on a trail. It was pretty tame stuff but it was still cool to
see. Wish I'd seen the whole piece.

Niall Forbes
66 IIa 88SW - The Red Zit
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
The Nova Scotian Rover - http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/forbes/intro.htm

"See the happy moron,
He doesn't give a damn.
I wish I were a moron.
My God! Perhaps I am!"
- --author unknown

_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 21:56:31 -0600
From: "Jim Hall" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Defender 110 on ebay

I like that last option on it... 4 wheel drive

- -- 
Jim Hall
1966 88" Elephant Chaser
http://www.users.qwest.net/~jimfoo
"You know, I never really damaged my Rover 'till I started wheeling 
with Jim." Mitch Stockdale

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 05:58:38 -1000
From: "Hope Peter" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: RE: EBay 110 fllow up-- Item #589464331

> Nothing like answering your questions, right?
> 

Just received another follow up
70,000 and the truck is yours.  Reserve is higher.
The truck is entirely built from the ground up.  So the miles are about 120
for testing.
The odometer reads 51000 because we had to us a used one.

- -----Original Message-----
From: phope [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2001 9:41 PM
To: Isaac Jacobson
Subject: Re: Question for seller -- Item #589464331

Thanks for the reply, but you didn't answer all of my questions.
What is the reserve price?
How many miles on it?
Is it an actual 110?  I notice that it doesn't have the standard Defender
rear chassis member, but rather an older Series rover one.
Thanks,
Pete

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 05:58:42 -1000
From: "Hope Peter" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: RE: EBay 110 fllow up-- Item #589464331

> Nothing like answering your questions, right?
> 

Just received another follow up
70,000 and the truck is yours.  Reserve is higher.
The truck is entirely built from the ground up.  So the miles are about 120
for testing.
The odometer reads 51000 because we had to us a used one.

- -----Original Message-----
From: phope [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2001 9:41 PM
To: Isaac Jacobson
Subject: Re: Question for seller -- Item #589464331

Thanks for the reply, but you didn't answer all of my questions.
What is the reserve price?
How many miles on it?
Is it an actual 110?  I notice that it doesn't have the standard Defender
rear chassis member, but rather an older Series rover one.
Thanks,
Pete

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 06:13:03 -1000
From: "Hope Peter" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: RE: EBay 110 fllow up-- Item #589464331

> Nothing like answering your questions, right?
> 

Just received another follow up
70,000 and the truck is yours.  Reserve is higher.
The truck is entirely built from the ground up.  So the miles are about 120
for testing.
The odometer reads 51000 because we had to us a used one.

- -----Original Message-----
From: phope [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2001 9:41 PM
To: Isaac Jacobson
Subject: Re: Question for seller -- Item #589464331

Thanks for the reply, but you didn't answer all of my questions.
What is the reserve price?
How many miles on it?
Is it an actual 110?  I notice that it doesn't have the standard Defender
rear chassis member, but rather an older Series rover one.
Thanks,
Pete

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 06:13:14 -1000
From: "Hope Peter" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: RE: EBay 110 fllow up-- Item #589464331

> Nothing like answering your questions, right?
> 

Just received another follow up
70,000 and the truck is yours.  Reserve is higher.
The truck is entirely built from the ground up.  So the miles are about 120
for testing.
The odometer reads 51000 because we had to us a used one.

- -----Original Message-----
From: phope [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2001 9:41 PM
To: Isaac Jacobson
Subject: Re: Question for seller -- Item #589464331

Thanks for the reply, but you didn't answer all of my questions.
What is the reserve price?
How many miles on it?
Is it an actual 110?  I notice that it doesn't have the standard Defender
rear chassis member, but rather an older Series rover one.
Thanks,
Pete

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 06:26:52 -1000
From: "Hope Peter" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: Re: RE: EBay 110 fllow up-- Item #589464331

Sorry, my mail servewr is going nuts
Pete

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 07:46:54 -0400
From: "Alex Maiolo" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: EBay 110 fllow up-- Item #589464331

I can't say I'm thrilled about the color choices these folks have made, but
the work on the interior seems pretty nice. I'm sure, like most Defenders in
the States, that these things carry a price that would make Donald Trump
blush, but they seem to be nicely done, IMHO.

Alex "Ah, already gaht wahn. It's a-vera n-i-i-ce" Maiolo
Chapel Hill NC

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "phope" <[email-masked]>
To: "Lro" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2001 12:37 AM
Subject: LRO: EBay 110 fllow up-- Item #589464331

>
> Just received this info from the sller
> Pete
>
>
> > This 110 is absolutely street legal.  Title is in hand and reads
> > "Reconstructed" "Land Rover 110"  "2001".  The truck is as new.  We
built
> it
> > from the ground up using all new or in some cases new rebuild Land Rover
> > parts.  We have additional vehicles for sale.  Please refer to the link
> > http://www.thedial.com/isaac/rover01/new.htm to see another example for
> > sale.  This is NOT as salvage title.  This is a professionally built
Land
> > Rover, constructed to exacting standards and in many areas exceeds the
> > original.
> >
> > We have invested considerable money and time to legitimately bring in
our
> > components and register this vehicle.  This project has been 3 years in
> the
> > making, passing all DOT, EPA and Customs criteria.
> >
> > Please call 435-445-3333 for further information and pricing options.
> >
>
> >
> > Hi I was wondering what the reserve price was on the 110?
> > Also, why does it have a new fame and rebuilt axles?
> > How many miles on it?
>
>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 07:47:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Rowe" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Re: 300TDI (ridiculous) prices?

Just going through my archive and found the comments about how "ridiculously" 
expensive 300TDI's are. 12k *is* a bit much, but I think the kits from RN aren't all that  
bad, when you consider it also includes a new transmission (still too much for me 
though). That's why I was loking for just and engine from the UK, hoping to get the price 
down.
Back last year when I was about to buy an IH 1 ton crew cab dualie (ended up with a  
good deal on a Disco instead) I was looking around for a diesel to put in it. I thought 
what better than keeping it 100% Binder and put in a Navaistar 7.5L. 10k for a 
reconditioned one. Admittedly you get more bang with a 7.5 turbo than a 300TD, but the 
Rover engine would suit my Disco better. I converted the AntiChrist to a 2.25 Rover 
diesel (which is fine for it) and have a Perlkins 4203 for my 109 truck. Obviously I'm not 
into speed ;-)

Anyway, my point is, Diesels are cheap, new ones especially.
Cheers

Tom Rowe
Atlanta, GA

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
        in places even more inaccessible

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 07:19:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Tom Rowe" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: 24v bulbs

On Wed, 2 May 2001 18:42:23 -0500, Andy Pease wrote:

>Does anybody know of a source to find 24v bulbs [headlights, taillights,
>turn lights, etc.] for a 74 SIII Lightweight? Thus far I have found Rovers
>North. Is there anybody else?
>

Andy,
No bulbs, but I do have a 24v turn signal flasher shipped to me by mistake. Need a 
spare?

Tom Rowe
Atlanta, GA

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
        in places even more inaccessible

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 13:01:58 -0000
From: "N Forbes" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: RE: sighting

>I think you saw the R.O.V.E.R.S. off road event in VA.  Speedvision took
>pictures of it and it ran about 7 minutes (on a 1/2 hour show).
>
>Lee

Thanks Lee. I think you're right. I was pretty sure the trucks had Virginia 
plates but it was hard to tell. 7 Minutes wasn't enough. They should have 
used the full half hour ;-)

Niall Forbes
66 IIa 88SW - The Red Zit
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
The Nova Scotian Rover - http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/forbes/intro.htm

"See the happy moron,
He doesn't give a damn.
I wish I were a moron.
My God! Perhaps I am!"
- --author unknown

_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 15:39:47 +0200
From: Peter Thor=?ISO-8859-1?B?6Q==?=n <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Seal in Timing Cover

01-05-21 13.29, skrev Garrick Olsen på [email-masked] följande:

Rik,

My timing chain broke two years ago (S3 2 1/4 diesel). When taking the cover
off I could see that the pad actually had come loose and that the bolt
holding it had got stuck in the crankshaft chainwheel with interesting
results... I highly recommend you to use Loctite or similar when refitting
everything.

Peter

- ----------------------------------------------------------
Peter Thorén
1996 Discovery Tdi ES
1975 109" Stationwagon 2.25 diesel
member # 1379 Swedish Land Rover club

Norrdals gård, Myssinge
SE 747 93 Alunda
Sverige
0174-121 06; 070-249 34 77
- ----------------------------------------------------------

> I am down to carving out the seal in the timing cover.  It seals around the
> front crankshaft.
> 
> 1.  Is there anyway other than picking it out with a screwdriver?    Solvent
> (Dot 3?) or Fire?
> 
> 2.  Any one else not find a timing chain tensioner pad on replacing the
> timing chain?  There just wasn't one there.  Was this SPOT or Sollihul?
> 
> -Rik
> Getting it together
> 1960 SER II SWB SW
> _________________________________________________________________
> Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com
> 

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 09:54:15 -0400
From: "Tackley, John" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Liftgate/Lid question...

This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand
this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

- ------_=_NextPart_001_01C0E2C6.B00F7960
Content-Type: text/plain

Anyone with a Liftgate/Lid + Tailgate setup on a Series...I just installed
my first and only have one stay/prop rod.  While you can still buy a new
Lid, you can't buy many of the individual parts...so I either have to
fabricate a new stay or change over to modern gas cylinders to support the
Lid when open.
 
Has anyone replaced the two rigid stays/prop rods with gas cylinders?
If so, please respond off-list with lengths, p/n if known, installation
tips, etc.
 
TIA
 
John Tackley
Richmond, VA

- ------_=_NextPart_001_01C0E2C6.B00F7960
Content-Type: text/html

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=us-ascii">

<META content="MSHTML 5.00.2920.0" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff><FONT face=Arial><SPAN 
class=718244813-22052001>A<SPAN class=718244813-22052001>nyone with a 
Liftgate/Lid + Tailgate setup on a Series...I just installed my first and only 
have one stay/prop rod.&nbsp; While you can still buy a new Lid, you can't buy 
many of the individual parts...so I either have to fabricate a new stay or 
change over to modern gas cylinders to support the Lid when 
open.</SPAN></SPAN></FONT></FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff><FONT face=Arial><SPAN 
class=718244813-22052001><SPAN 
class=718244813-22052001></SPAN></SPAN></FONT></FONT></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff><FONT face=Arial><SPAN 
class=718244813-22052001><SPAN class=718244813-22052001>Has anyone replaced the 
two rigid stays/prop rods with gas 
cylinders?</SPAN></SPAN></FONT></FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff><FONT face=Arial><SPAN 
class=718244813-22052001><SPAN class=718244813-22052001>If so, please respond 
off-list with lengths, p/n if known, installation tips, 
etc.</SPAN></SPAN></FONT></FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff><FONT face=Arial><SPAN 
class=718244813-22052001><SPAN 
class=718244813-22052001></SPAN></SPAN></FONT></FONT></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff><FONT face=Arial><SPAN 
class=718244813-22052001><SPAN 
class=718244813-22052001>TIA</SPAN></SPAN></FONT></FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff><FONT face=Arial><SPAN 
class=718244813-22052001><SPAN 
class=718244813-22052001></SPAN></SPAN></FONT></FONT></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff><FONT face=Arial><SPAN 
class=718244813-22052001><SPAN class=718244813-22052001>John 
Tackley</SPAN></SPAN></FONT></FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2><FONT color=#0000ff><FONT face=Arial><SPAN 
class=718244813-22052001><SPAN class=718244813-22052001>Richmond, 
VA</SPAN></SPAN></FONT></FONT></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

- ------_=_NextPart_001_01C0E2C6.B00F7960--

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 10:19:50 -0400
From: "Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Liftgate/Lid question...

John, just put together another prop rod. THe ones I've seen aren't much
more than a piece of bent bar stock with a flat-metal flange on the end to
attach to the liftgate prop mount.

The thing I like about them and the different design I have on my '58 is
that you can lock them in place with a bungie to take up the slack. This
way, you can drive with the gate up if need be (think large loads in
truck...). Can't do that with gas cylinders...

               ajr

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 16:55:47 -1000
From: "Hope Peter" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Email issues and landrovers

Aloha,
sorry about all the multiple posts yesterday.  Our mail server had a hiccup
or something.
Anyway, Honolulu All British Car Show was this past weekend.  40-50 cars
present, 7 of em were Rovers.  Pretty impressive turn out.
I stuck up a few photos at
www.aloharovers.com

Met some new people which is always great.  We are planning another
expedition out to east Range.  This time do the route from top to bottom.
Pete

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 07:57:00 -0700
From: SJH <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Dennis McCullagh address needed urgently

I bought an item from Dennis on ebay a while ago.  We have dealt before   
so he sent the item to me in advance of payment.   I sent payment out,   
but it just came back to me as undeliverable becasue of insufficient   
postage (D'oh!!) with a yellow sticker over his address so I can't resend   
it!!  Does anyone have his email or real address?  If so please mail it   
to me directly as I am in digest mode.  Thanks.  Dennis, if you read this   
I'm very sorry for the delay.

Simon

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 11:14:03 -0400
From: Easton Trevor A <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO: Liftgate/Lid question...

Can do, if the cylinders are set up properly and strong enough. Be sure to
get struts with proper ball joint ends though or they will rattle if driven
in the open position.

> The thing I like about them and the different design I have on my '58 is
> that you can lock them in place with a bungie to take up the slack. This
> way, you can drive with the gate up if need be (think large loads in
> truck...). Can't do that with gas cylinders...
> 
>                ajr
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 12:38:58 -0400
From: "Tackley, John" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO: Liftgate/Lid question...

ajr said:
John, just put together another prop rod. THe ones I've seen aren't much
more than a piece of bent bar stock with a flat-metal flange on the end to
attach to the liftgate prop mount.
The thing I like about them and the different design I have on my '58 is
that you can lock them in place with a bungie to take up the slack. This
way, you can drive with the gate up if need be (think large loads in
truck...). Can't do that with gas cylinders...

I reply,
Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately, the lid end of the prop rod
attaches to a steel plate riveted to the ally lid proper.  The 'hinge' part
of that plate is awol...so it means re-fabbing the plate w/ hinge as well as
the rod.  For as much work it seemed feasible to me to just stick in 2 gas
cylinders, retaining the good prop rod for locking-while-driving.

...and Trevor said:
Can do, if the cylinders are set up properly and strong enough. Be sure to
get struts with proper ball joint ends though or they will rattle if driven
in the open position.

...and I say,
Its the 'set up and strength' I was concerned about.  How does one tell what
weight a gc will support (from p/n , catalog etc.), other than manually
testing it?

JT/ric

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 13:19:49 -0400
From: Easton Trevor A <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO: Liftgate/Lid question...

Catalogue works well if you are buying new struts and the supplier will even
calulate the size and geometry for you, but as a true LRO you are probably
going to obtain a couple of struts from the wreckers. In this case what you
want to do is look for something that is supporting a similar weight. This
means most likely a strut from a small hatchback. Now you need to layout
your system so that the struts lift the gate the correct amount and also
keep it closed by going slightly overcentre when the gate is down. Do this
you need to know the open and closed length of the strut. It's a good idea
to get the closed length before you take it off the donor vehicle. With the
gate propped open where you want it to "park" position the strut with the
rod end close to the bottom of the gate and adjust the position of the
cylinder end so it is just high enough for the strut to be not quite fully
closed when the gate is shut.
Make drawing of the end positions and use this to fabricate the end
brackets. The strut ends and hinge pin locations should be such that when
the gate is shut the line of force from the strut acts through a point
"outside"  the hinge pins. Hope this makes sense. You'll probably find that
using two struts there is plenty of spare force to lift the light LR
tailgate so be sure to make the overcentre geometry work or you'll be losing
teeth as the gate opens itself as soon as you release the latch.

> Its the 'set up and strength' I was concerned about.  How does one tell
> what
> weight a gc will support (from p/n , catalog etc.), other than manually
> testing it?
> 
> JT/ric
> 

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 13:41:33 -0400
From: "Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO: Liftgate/Lid question...

Sorry, John - didn't realize.

Dumb question - are you sure it had 2 prop rods? Somewhere I seem to
remember lids w/only one....

I like the design on Miss Jessica - instead of the swing-out rods that drop
into forks it has sliding barss that latch in tracks. No-hands latching is
so nice - if a bit awkward to drop down again.

                    ajr

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 May 01 10:55:55 -0700
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO: Liftgate/Lid question...

>Dumb question - are you sure it had 2 prop rods? Somewhere I seem to
>remember lids w/only one....

Lift gates come with two.  Defender lift gates evidently come with 
hydraulic rods so you do not need to manually set them.

TeriAnn         
                      http://www.overlander.net

  The world's most complete set of links connecting Rover 4X4 owners
  with Rover parts, service, accessory & sales companies world wide.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 14:18:12 -0400
From: "RON WARD" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO: Liftgate/Lid question...

Good grief!  Do like my Dad did and carry a broom with the end sawed off and wedge it between the bumper and the lift gate to hold it open.

>>> [email-masked] 05/22/01 01:41PM >>>

Sorry, John - didn't realize.

Dumb question - are you sure it had 2 prop rods? Somewhere I seem to
remember lids w/only one....

I like the design on Miss Jessica - instead of the swing-out rods that drop
into forks it has sliding barss that latch in tracks. No-hands latching is
so nice - if a bit awkward to drop down again.

                    ajr

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 15:25:53 -0400
From: "Tackley, John" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO: Liftgate/Lid question...

Dumb question - are you sure it had 2 prop rods? Somewhere I seem to
remember lids w/only one....

Yup, and it needs it too, if you were to drive with the lid open, it really
needs support on both sides...plus I can see where the hinge was ripped out
of the corner plate.

I like the design on Miss Jessica - instead of the swing-out rods that drop
into forks it has sliding barss that latch in tracks. No-hands latching is
so nice - if a bit awkward to drop down again.

I'd like that too, but then the arms stick into the rear compartment, don't
they?(...oops, no, you did say tracks)

JT

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 16:13:45 -0400
From: "Robert A. Virzi" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: RE: Vampire: Mission Declassified

>
>I have seen two explanations for the name Vampire. One starts with Vehicle
>and the other VHF (for Very High Frequency) and the rest is  Army Mobile
>Position Indicating Interferometer Radio Equipment.

And I thought it was because it had a light-proof cabin, perfect 
haunt for a vampire.

- -------------------------------------------
Verizon Laboratories
[email-masked]   or   [email-masked]
+1 781.466.2881

You can observe a lot by watching.  -Yogi

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 18:07:08 -0400
From: Easton Trevor A <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO: RE: Vampire: Mission Declassified

>
>I have seen two explanations for the name Vampire. One starts with
Vehicle
>and the other VHF (for Very High Frequency) and the rest is  Army
Mobile
>Position Indicating Interferometer Radio Equipment.

Surely the best explanation is that in true LR fashion it sucks blood (and
money)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 21:05:16 -0700
From: "Gerry Elam" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: parabolic springs?  Fact or fad?

What's the collection group opinon on parabolic springs?  This is for a 
Dormobile that I ultimately plan to hang an extra water tank onto also so 
heavy duty would probably be necessary.

Thanks!
Gerry Elam
PHX AZ

'63 LR SII A Dormobile.... Humty Dumpty:  It may take all the King's men to 
put Humty Dumpty together again.  Any volunteers?  :-)
_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 00:18:28 -0400
From: Jeff Berg <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO: RE: Vampire: Mission Declassified

>Surely the best explanation is that in true LR fashion it sucks blood (and
>money)

I did leave a little blood sitting on one of the pulleys...

jeff

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 00:18:49 -0400
From: Jeff Berg <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: parabolic springs?  Fact or fad?

>What's the collection group opinon on parabolic springs?  This is 
>for a Dormobile that I ultimately plan to hang an extra water tank 
>onto also so heavy duty would probably be necessary.

I like mine...

jab

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 20:56:07 -1000
From: "Peter Ogilvie" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: parabolic springs? Fact or fad?

I've got an 88 and a 109 pickup with parabolics.  Best thing I ever did to 
them.  Ride is significantly improved and so is articulation.  I'll never go 
back.  109 has RM 3 leaf springs that work great.  The four leaf rears 
should work on the dormie.

Aloha
Peter

>From: Jeff Berg <[email-masked]>
>Reply-To: [email-masked]
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: Re: LRO: parabolic springs?  Fact or fad?
>Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 00:18:49 -0400
>
>>What's the collection group opinon on parabolic springs?  This is
>>for a Dormobile that I ultimately plan to hang an extra water tank
>>onto also so heavy duty would probably be necessary.
>
>I like mine...
>
>jab

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 10:12:53 +0200
From: "FJA van Zijp" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: short question

Hi all,

Just a short question from a list-lurker; whatever happened to the list-
archives on http://www.land-rover.team.net/?

cheers

Ferenc

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 08:06:01 -0400
From: Easton Trevor A <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO: parabolic springs?  Fact or fad?

I'm happy with mine on the 88. TI Console provided good service, prompt
delivery, reasonable shipping cost  and suitably reduced invoice with
package (Customs man commented how "It's the shipping that kills you, on
items like this" :-))

> >What's the collection group opinon on parabolic springs?  
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 09:01:08 -0400
From: "Martin Rothman" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: short question

They moved to someplace on www.fourfold.org.  You may have to dig a bit to 
find them, but they are there.

Regards,

Martin Rothman

- ----Original Message Follows----
From: "FJA van Zijp" <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: LRO: short question
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 10:12:53 +0200

Hi all,

Just a short question from a list-lurker; whatever happened to the list-
archives on http://www.land-rover.team.net/?

cheers

Ferenc

_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 May 01 07:46:38 -0700
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: LRO: Liftgate/Lid question...

On the other hand, you can always do what I ended up doing to keep from 
hitting my head on the lift gate getting in & out.

I side hinged the lift gate.  It works quite well.   There are pictures 
in the green Rover galler page.

http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman/LR/GRrearliftgate98.htm

If you look at the picture you will notice I used two lower hinges.  THe 
lift gate didn't want to open levelly with a top & bottom hinge

There is a galvanized strip along the bottom of the lift gate.  I put a 
gradual taper in it so I could drop the tail gate without opening the 
lift gate past straight back.

I used a nylon strap pinned in place by the lower door latch  as a stop.

The door is held in place via the two hinges and the rods of the latch.  
This works well under all conditions if the latch is completely shut and 
the pocket brackets are properly adjusted.  If the pocket bracket is out 
of adjustment or the latch not completely home the door will open under 
severe washboarding.

TeriAnn         
                      http://www.overlander.net

  The world's most complete set of links connecting Rover 4X4 owners
  with Rover parts, service, accessory & sales companies world wide.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 11:02:03 -0400
From: "A. P. Grice" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Thanks

Just got the most recent edition of Land Rover Enthusiast magazine.  Nice
piece on the MAR, Jeff.  Thanks

Cheers
	*---jeep may be famous, but LAND ROVER is Legendary---*
	|                                                     |
	|               A. P. (Sandy) Grice                   |
	|     Rover Owners' Association of Virginia, Ltd.     |
	|    1633 Melrose Parkway, Norfolk, VA 23508-1730     |
	| (H)757-423-4898  (W)757-622-7054  (FAX)757-622-7056 |
	*-----------------------------------------------------*

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 11:21:13 EDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: LRO: Brakes Again

- --part1_34.1575e799.283d2f69_boundary
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Hi to all on the list:

I am still having brake problems most all parts have been replaced a new 
problem has surfaced. I have been on the "double pump" for some time just put 
new shoes and cam adjusters on last weekend now I lose pedal off and on but 
the latest the reservoir is spouting out the top through the vent hole.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance
Dave Walls
IIa 88  

- --part1_34.1575e799.283d2f69_boundary
Content-Type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>Hi to all on the list:
<BR>
<BR>I am still having brake problems most all parts have been replaced a new 
<BR>problem has surfaced. I have been on the "double pump" for some time just put 
<BR>new shoes and cam adjusters on last weekend now I lose pedal off and on but 
<BR>the latest the reservoir is spouting out the top through the vent hole.
<BR>
<BR>Any ideas?
<BR>Thanks in advance
<BR>Dave Walls
<BR>IIa 88 &nbsp;</FONT></HTML>

- --part1_34.1575e799.283d2f69_boundary--

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 08:19:07 -0700
From: "Rich & Lori Williams" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: positive ground radios - no LR content

I am posting this for my dad to see if anyone out there can help.  He's got
a 1959 Jaguar XK150s Roadster and wants to put a vintage radio in it.
Trouble is, he can't find any that are 40 years old AND are positive ground.
And no, he won't switch.  He's a Concours freak - need I say more?  So does
anyone know where he can find an old AM/FM positive ground radio?  Some had
a switch in the back that would allow you to pick + or - ground.

Thanks,

Rich Williams
SII 109 SW

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 08:42:38 -0700
From: "Paul Quin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Solex Vacuum Advance/Retard

Yesterday I overhauled my Solex with new jets and gaskets all around.  The
performance is much better now.  Not really any more power, just much
smoother and quieter (the whistle is almost gone...)  and a better idle.

When I got the SII, the vacuum advance (retard?) port on the carb was
blocked off.  I've got the neccessary ( I think )  bits to plumb it back in
to the distributor now.  I ordered a copper pipe from RN last year.  It
threads into the Solex fine but at the other end is a threaded fitting while
on the distributor the fitting looks like it wants to mate up to a rubber
vacuum line.  Should I cut off the threaded fitting on the pipe and clamp on
a rubber vacuum hose from it to the distributor?

Also, should the carb end of the pipe (with the olive) be flaired once the
olive and nut are on it?

TIA

Paul Quin
1961 SII 88
Victoria, BC

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 08:46:17 -0700
From: "Paul Quin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: Brakes Again

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

- ------=_NextPart_000_00AE_01C0E364.D4C21DA0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I had very similar symptoms with mine.  The steady posts on all four of =
my backing plates were loose.  This is the post opposite the wheel =
cylinder that the other end of the brake shoe rests (and pivots) on.  If =
these are loose, they will shift under braking load causing all sorts of =
ass puckering consequences...   Take the shoes off and wiggle the post =
around.  I had mine welded back on.

Paul in Victoria.

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: [email-masked]=20

  Hi to all on the list:=20

  I am still having brake problems most all parts have been replaced a =
new=20
  problem has surfaced. I have been on the "double pump" for some time =
just put=20
  new shoes and cam adjusters on last weekend now I lose pedal off and =
on but=20
  the latest the reservoir is spouting out the top through the vent =
hole.=20

  Any ideas?=20
  Thanks in advance=20
  Dave Walls=20
  IIa 88  =20

- ------=_NextPart_000_00AE_01C0E364.D4C21DA0
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4611.1300" name=3DGENERATOR>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I had very similar symptoms with mine.&nbsp; The =
steady posts=20
on all four of my backing plates were loose.&nbsp; This is the post =
opposite the=20
wheel cylinder that the other end of the brake shoe rests (and pivots) =
on.&nbsp;=20
If these are loose, they will shift under braking load causing all sorts =
of ass=20
puckering consequences...&nbsp;&nbsp; Take the shoes off and wiggle the =
post=20
around.&nbsp; I had mine welded back on.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Paul in Victoria.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: =
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=[email-masked]=20
  href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV><FONT face=3Darial,helvetica><FONT size=3D2>Hi to all =
on the list:=20
  <BR><BR>I am still having brake problems most all parts have been =
replaced a=20
  new <BR>problem has surfaced. I have been on the "double pump" for =
some time=20
  just put <BR>new shoes and cam adjusters on last weekend now I lose =
pedal off=20
  and on but <BR>the latest the reservoir is spouting out the top =
through the=20
  vent hole. <BR><BR>Any ideas? <BR>Thanks in advance <BR>Dave Walls =
<BR>IIa 88=20
  &nbsp;</FONT> </FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

- ------=_NextPart_000_00AE_01C0E364.D4C21DA0--

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 11:42:21 -0400
From: "Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Brakes Again

If you'rte losing pedal off and on it sounds to me like the valve in the
master (the one that closes to pressurize the system hen you push the
pedal) isn't closing right. Hence, the pressure you put on the pedal makes
the fluid spurt up through the intake.

I'm assuming you've checked to make sure that you have all the brake shoes
on the cams right and so forth....

                         ajr

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 11:48:45 -0400
From: "Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: positive ground radios - no LR content

Junkyard is the first place I'd look.

Secondarily, he can use a negative-ground radio if it's carefully isolated
from the car's frame and the electrical connections made appropriately.
Also, the radio antenna coax braid needs to be ground-isolated with some
small-value capacitors (or just isolated completely - that works fine on AM
and FM).

If you want to talk more on it see me off-line - don't want to bore folks.

                    ajr

------------------------------

End of LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * V1 #382
**********************************************