Re: LRO: Tranny Problems

From: Jim Hall (jimfoo@qwest.net)
Date: Wed May 23 2001 - 20:18:40 EDT

    Did you put a new lock washer on with the OD? If so, did you remove the
    tabs you didn't need? These will hit the splines on the OD and keep it
    from going in all the way.

    Todd Kendrick wrote:
    > So I took my over drive off thinking the problem w/ my tranny was the loose mainshaft nut. The nut was little loose but not as much as I was hoping. So instead of putting the OD back on I just put the mainshaft bearing housing back on. Now the truck will not move. In the forward gears I get no noise or anything; in reverse it gives a spinning/whining sound from the gearbox. I have the tried the t-case in lo and hi range and no difference. Am I missing something here ?
         So I go back and try and put the OD back on and it does not want to
    mount back flush w/ the gearbox. I can start the nuts on the studs but
    it is about a half inch short of being flush. I do not want to break one
    of the flanges on the OD so here I am. Are there any special tricks to
    putting the OD back on ? Why would it not move w/ just the mainshaft
    bearing housing on ? Any help and input much appreciated.

    Todd Kendrick
    Taos, NM
    '66 109" P/U

    --