RE: LRO: Liftgate/Lid question...

From: TeriAnn Wakeman (twakeman@cruzers.com)
Date: Wed May 23 2001 - 10:46:38 EDT

    On the other hand, you can always do what I ended up doing to keep from
    hitting my head on the lift gate getting in & out.

    I side hinged the lift gate. It works quite well. There are pictures
    in the green Rover galler page.

    http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman/LR/GRrearliftgate98.htm

    If you look at the picture you will notice I used two lower hinges. THe
    lift gate didn't want to open levelly with a top & bottom hinge

    There is a galvanized strip along the bottom of the lift gate. I put a
    gradual taper in it so I could drop the tail gate without opening the
    lift gate past straight back.

    I used a nylon strap pinned in place by the lower door latch as a stop.

    The door is held in place via the two hinges and the rods of the latch.
    This works well under all conditions if the latch is completely shut and
    the pocket brackets are properly adjusted. If the pocket bracket is out
    of adjustment or the latch not completely home the door will open under
    severe washboarding.

    TeriAnn
                          http://www.overlander.net

      The world's most complete set of links connecting Rover 4X4 owners
      with Rover parts, service, accessory & sales companies world wide.