Re: LRO: Re: 300TDI (ridiculous) prices?

From: Tom Rowe (trowe@attglobal.net)
Date: Tue May 22 2001 - 07:47:49 EDT

    Just going through my archive and found the comments about how "ridiculously"
    expensive 300TDI's are. 12k *is* a bit much, but I think the kits from RN aren't all that
    bad, when you consider it also includes a new transmission (still too much for me
    though). That's why I was loking for just and engine from the UK, hoping to get the price
    down.
    Back last year when I was about to buy an IH 1 ton crew cab dualie (ended up with a
    good deal on a Disco instead) I was looking around for a diesel to put in it. I thought
    what better than keeping it 100% Binder and put in a Navaistar 7.5L. 10k for a
    reconditioned one. Admittedly you get more bang with a 7.5 turbo than a 300TD, but the
    Rover engine would suit my Disco better. I converted the AntiChrist to a 2.25 Rover
    diesel (which is fine for it) and have a Perlkins 4203 for my 109 truck. Obviously I'm not
    into speed ;-)

    Anyway, my point is, Diesels are cheap, new ones especially.
    Cheers

    Tom Rowe
    Atlanta, GA

    Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
            in places even more inaccessible