Subject: LRO: RE: Starter Motor

From: Keith Addison <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 15:52:14 +0900

Hello Nick, David, Bill, Jim and all

Many thanks for your replies. 

I took Nick Eckert's advice and took the dead starter to a local shop,
good people, hoping to get it rebuilt. They tested it and found the
armature's broken. So that's that. :-( 

Not only that, what I found when I removed it was that the main bush
was badly worn, lots of slack, which may have caused the problem -
vibration? What had happened was that the pos. terminal had vibrated
loose, turned, worn through its flimsy plastic insulation and shorted.
I repaired the insulation, but the unit was still dead.

I checked with the suppliers and found it was a reconditioned unit we'd
bought, a non-Lucas rebuild. Still, I'm not going to let Lucas off the
hook, I think their motors are really badly designed and made. The
original just wore itself out, everything was shot by the time it died.

So no, it's the thing itself, not the ring gear or the ground strap
(both fine). 

Tanabe-san at the local shop found a locally rebuilt Lucas for me, but
it's way too expensive - 65,000 yen (US$517, 369 Br. pounds), ouch!

I can get a Lucas rebuild for 129 Br. pounds, or a non-Lucas rebuild
for 57 pounds, but really I think I want out of this Lucas scene
thankyou!

So, Bill of Great Basin Rovers, I'll be contacting you off-list.

Thanks again all

Best wishes

Keith Addison 

Tokyo

To: <<[email-masked]>

Subject: RE: Starter Motor

Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 07:31:42 -0700

X-Priority: 3 (Normal)

Importance: Normal

Keith,

	You would probably be better served to get your existing one re-built
by a

competent shop.  The quality will be better than most anything you can
buy

off the shelve and will be less expensive.

Cheers,

Nick

1972 SIII Grommit

1961 SII 2.5TD Hybrid Coiler

Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 23:35:03 EDT

From: [email-masked]

Subject: Re: LRO: starter motor

Keith

    Mean Green sells a gear reduction starter for the Series Rover. I
sell 

them for $299. Way better than a Lucas.

Bill

Great Basin Rovers

http://www.greatbasinrovers.com/

Great Basin Rovers - navbar

Salt Lake City, Utah

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 22:48:25 -0500 (CDT)

From: David Scheidt <<[email-masked]>

Subject: Re: LRO: starter motor

On Mon, 14 May 2001 [email-masked] wrote:

:Keith

:    Mean Green sells a gear reduction starter for the Series Rover. I
sell

:them for $299. Way better than a Lucas.

the mean green may be much better than the Lucas, but there's
something

going on if keith's starters aren't lasting very long.  My first guess
would

be an improper gound.  There should be a ground strap attached to the

starter.  I think the stock strap goes to the block.  I run mine to
the

battery.

- -- 

[email-masked]

Bipedalism is only a fad.

Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 22:17:51 -0600

From: "Jim Hall" <<[email-masked]>

Subject: Re: LRO: starter motor

How are the teeth on the ring gear???

David Scheidt wrote:

> On Mon, 14 May 2001 [email-masked] wrote:

> :Keith

> :    Mean Green sells a gear reduction starter for the Series Rover.
I sell

> :them for $299. Way better than a Lucas.

> the mean green may be much better than the Lucas, but there's
something

> going on if keith's starters aren't lasting very long.  My first
guess would

> be an improper gound.  There should be a ground strap attached to
the

> starter.  I think the stock strap goes to the block.  I run mine to
the

> battery.

> --

> [email-masked]

> Bipedalism is only a fad.

- -- 

Jim Hall

1966 88" Elephant Chaser

http://www.users.qwest.net/~jimfoo

"You know, I never really damaged my Rover 'till I started wheeling 

with Jim." Mitch Stockdale