Subject: Re-LRO: Rattly V8

From: "Mike Rogers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 15:34:49 +0100

Can you check the oil pressure? Your top end rattle could be the first signs
of a failing oil pump ignore this at your peril as bottom end damage will
soon follow.

If however the rattle is only from one cam follower it could simply be a
stuck hydraulic lifter, this is usually a sign of too long between oil
changes. Try adding a double dose of flushing oil to the old oil, run the
vehicle for about 20 miles, then change oil and filter.

Where are you? RPI have some new take out 3.9 cams going very cheaply, I put
one in my 3.5 and it works well. (note, I am a pal of Chris Crane of RPI but
have no commercial interest)

Oh and please please please don't post to the list in HTML it is a pain to
read on the digest as we get to see all the formatting crap, use plain text.

Mike Rogers
Lightweight/Range Rover hybrid
LPG V8 110 project (thanks to Marijn)
(if you can't get there in a Land Rover you can't get there)

>>>>But my V8 has just developed a top-end rattle:-(

I'm guessing it's cam/tappet related (they all do that at 70k miles, sir).
So, what may be the consequences of ignoring it for a while, doing the LPG
conversion and with the reduced fuel costs save up for a cam set? Or is the
engine in danger of going bang?

Ho hum!<<<<