Subject: LRO: Zenith fix

From: "A. P. \"Sandy\" Grice" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 00:00:08 -0500

"Ross Maylor" <[email-masked]>

>I sent this message previously and got no response so either you guys are
>dead or nobody gives a rats arse.

>Installed new Zenith 361v carb to replace old one that was worn and leaking
>gas past the O ring seal into the engine resulting in rough-rich running and
>no idle no matter how much adjustments were made. The new carb is better but
>suffers from the same problem. A thicker O ring helped only slightly. I read
>on a LR web site a brief mention of glass plate grinding that may offer help
>but no details of this were provided. Can any one expand on this?

The lazy buggers at Zenith/Solex never bothered to anneal their carbs, so
they can warp the first time they get good an hot....

The first thing it to do is anneal the bloody thing: disassemble it
completely, and put the top cover and bottom half in a 400 F degree oven
overnight.  The next day, reduce the temp by 50/hour 'til at room
temperature.  Then glass plate grind it.

Place some 200 to 400 grit carborundum paper on a plate of glass.  (Has to
be absolutely flat....)  Add a drop of oil.  Swirl the carb halves on the
paper...you'll soon see where the high/low spots are.  Take care to remove
equal amounts from both halves.  When both flanges are equally shiny,
reassemble with a new o-ring.

Cheers

  *----jeep may be famous, LAND-ROVER is legendary-----*
  |                                                    |
  |              A. P. "Sandy" Grice                   |
  |     Rover Owners' Association of Virginia, Ltd.    |
  |    1633 Melrose Parkway, Norfolk, VA 23508-1730    |
  |  (757)423-4898  (757)622-7054  FAX (757)622-7056   |
  |                                                    |
  *----1972 Series III 88"----1996 Discovery SE-7(m)---*