Subject: LRO: Re: tyres (tires) and sizes

From: "C. Marin Faure" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 00:46:46 -0700

Date: Fri, 04 May 2001 07:20:44 -1000
From: "Peter Ogilvie" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Re: tyres (tires) and sizes

>I haven't had a tire shop give me any trouble about mounting 235/85/16's
>on the 5.5" rims.  Costco did refuse to mount the tires with tubes,
>however.

I have always run tubes in the bias-ply tires I have run for the past
twenty-eight years, even the tubeless versions.  However, I did not find
out until recently that if you want to put tubes inside a RADIAL tire
(which you pretty much have to do it you want a tubeless radial tire to
remain reliably mounted on an old Series Land Rover wheel) you HAVE to use
a special radial tube.  They are not all that cheap, by the way.  According
to the local expert tire shops I've talked to in the process of deciding
what new tires to put on my SIII, putting a non-radial ("normal") tube into
a radial tire will potentially cause BIG problems.  Mainly, the "normal"
tube will eventually unseat the radial tire from the rim, and Bad Things
will then happen to you as you motor down the freeway.  This may be why
Costco would not mount your tires with tubes, as they might not carry the
special radial tubes that are required.  If you were not buying radials,
then I don't know what their problem was.

________________________
C. Marin Faure
  (original owner)
  1973 Land Rover Series III-88
  1991 Range Rover Vogue SE
   Seattle, WA