LRO: generator "failure" & wiring problems...

From: Ray Harder (ccray@showme.missouri.edu)
Date: Tue May 15 2001 - 09:59:46 EDT

    the green "nocharge" light stayed on last night
    and the guage showed a steady discharge with
    the lights on. curses -- looks like the
    generator failed. maybe the voltage regulator...
     i have a spare generator, but for some reason i
    would rather rebuild (and keep the spare ready
    (WHY is this?)). thought
    of the 2-3 days required to rebuild mine. well,
    i can go a week or so before doing it. make sure
    the handcrank is onboard. yes, there it is...

    on the way to work this morning, i saw some smoke
    comming from under the bonnet -- curses, there is
    a wiring fire. make it to the next light and pull over.
    looked under the bonnet and -- lo and behold --
    there lay my fan belt with a nice break in it. my generator
    problem was fixed -- the electrical wiring smoke was steam
    released by the radiator cap. since i just drive
    3 miles to work, i
    can put this one off till the weekend... the
    rover drives on -- pretty reliable
    vehicle for me...

    ray harder & lulu -- siia 61 88...