Re: LRO: anti rattle springs

From: DaveB (rovergawd@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue May 15 2001 - 09:00:02 EDT

    --- "William J. Rice" <jarvis64@juno.com> wrote:
    I did this job
    > once
    > and I think the thing fell out pretty promptly.

    me too. this time I unbolted the lever's socket from the shift fork.
    then put the spring in. thne re-attached the socket. and tightened the
    lever's mounting down at the bellhousing. Now the noisiest red lever in
    the history of the universe has had it's rattle sufficiently muted so
    as to not require the hat to be hung on it anymore which previous to
    the above described repair was the only way to quiet it down. It does
    still rattle but now it is a at a pitch that is more like a distant
    sewing machine than a dentist's drill being used on hammer setting to
    shatter your teeth. The sound from that lever was capable of liquefying
    inner ears. I wouldn't be shy about slathering the whole socket/ball
    set-up with some sort of thick grease either -although I ran out of
    time and daylight so I didn't. That might create a cushion for the
    vibrations that might otherwise eventually worry that inexpensive stock
    anti-rattle spring loose from its mooring.

    Did he say "mooring?"
    dave

    =====
    They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are quite a bit dicier.

    David Foster Wallace