Subject: LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * V1 #374

From: [email-masked] (LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * *)
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 23:42:06 -0400

LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * Saturday, May 12 2001 Volume 01 : Number 374

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 13:34:20 +1000
From: [email-masked]
Subject: ReLRO: Rims - Austin Gypsey:

Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 20:58:03 -0300
From: [email-masked] (Peter Rosvall)
Subject: ...

Hello All!

>From what I've been told, Austin Gypsy rims (16") will fit the series bolt
pattern. No problem there, what I was wondering though was about the
offset...Is the offset also the same as a series LR or different?

Peter,

I was going to say they are off-set more but two piece bolt together rims - then
I realized you asked 'Ausin Gypsey' and not 'Austin Champ' - my comment relates
to Champ - sorry I don't know about Gypsey - but you might be interested in that
'useless' bit of information about Champs :-)

Richard C

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 09:47:45 -0400
From: "Bill Fishel" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: leaving for the moose trophy

leaving in about ten minutes. hope to see some of you there.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 22:40:18 -0600
From: Ivan Van Laningham <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Newswire headline

Hi All--

David Scheidt wrote:
> 
> On 10 May 2001, Casey McMullen wrote:
> 
> :I've always thought it would be cool to lift an AMC Eagle and put big mudders
> :on it.  Everyone I've known who had one of those cars loved it.
> :
> 
> I saw one of these a couple years ago.  It was spectacularly ugly.  It
> might have just been an Eagle body on some other chasiss though.
> 

A couple of months ago, my brother sent me the URL (since lost) of the
ten worst cars ever made.  I'm sure you can find it if you try hard.  We
figured out that, between the two of us, we had owned so many of the
cars on that list that we did not wish to add up the exact numbers. 
There are some things humans aren't meant to know.

Chevy Vega was one.  Gremlin was another one.  Which is why I bring it
up; I owned first a Hornet, then a Gremlin, and they are the direct
ancestors of the Eagle.  Only the Eagle is better looking.

<go-thank-the-car-gods-you're-driving-a-landy>-ly y'rs,
Ivan;-)
- ----------------------------------------------
Ivan Van Laningham
Symantec
http://www.pauahtun.org/
http://www.foretec.com/python/workshops/1998-11/proceedings.html
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70
Author:  Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 07:24:22 -1000
From: "Hope Peter" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Newswire headline

> Around here all the red necks stick Chevette bodies on Jeep or bronco
> chassis. Not sure why but it seems awfully popular.
>
in Highschool we built a bug/cj-5 hybrid.  Was actually kinda kewl dewd. :-)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 00:38:09 -0500 (CDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Newswire headline

On Thu, 10 May 2001, Ivan Van Laningham wrote:

:A couple of months ago, my brother sent me the URL (since lost) of the
:ten worst cars ever made.  I'm sure you can find it if you try hard.  We
:figured out that, between the two of us, we had owned so many of the
:cars on that list that we did not wish to add up the exact numbers. 
:There are some things humans aren't meant to know.

Cartalk did a list like this, which includes nothing British.  The vega and
gremlin are both on it.
http://cartalk.cars.com/About/Worst-Cars/results1.html

David:

- -- 
[email-masked]
Bipedalism is only a fad.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 21:35:17 -1000
From: "Peter Ogilvie" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Newswire headline

Why is it I owned most of the cars on this list at one time or another.  The 
only one I'd argue with is the VW Bus.  Owned 4 of the bus's and took them 
everywhere.  The only places they wouldn't go, took tricked out 4wd to get 
there.  Once you got there, you didn't have to worry about a place to sleep. 
  Even lived in my '69 camper for 6 months long before being homeless was 
Chic.  Of course they were a little slow but not slower than a series truck. 
  Remember what a hot rod I thought the '73 bus was with the pancake engine 
and something like 75hp.  Drove that truck coast to coast twice.   Towed a 
trailer loaded with most of the parts for our Westsail from Va. to Ca.  
Trailer weighed as much as the bus which was loaded to the roof rack, as 
well.  Finally sold it after 13 years and 140,000 miles having done nothing 
but one brake job, swapped the dual carbs for an American 4 barrel, and 
replaced the Michelin X's twice.  Now that was a reliable car and it 
delivered 21mpg.

The Dauphin was another story.  Something like 5,000 miles between valve 
jobs.  I must be somewhat deranged as I liked the Chevette and even thought 
about trading mine in on a diesel Chevette.  The AMC Gremlin was given to me 
and you shouldn't look a gift Gremlin in the radiator.  It should have been 
enough to convince me I didn't want another AMC product but made the mistake 
of buying A Cherokee when they first came out.  BIG mistake.

One car that should have been on the list is the VW Rabbit.  Owned two of 
them.  The first, a gas one, burned a quart of oil every 500 miles.  The 
dealer told me, with a straight face, that the warranty only kicked in when 
consumption exceded a quart every 200 miles.  Traded that in for a diesel 
which blew up with less than 40,000 miles after eating up just about 
everything else mechanical along the way.  Car was so low to the ground and 
suspension so poor that we kept holing the oil pan.  We ditched it right 
after the warranty ran out as it spent most of its early life at the dealer 
for such minor problems as an engine rebuild at 2,000 miles.  This was a 
made in Germany Rabbit, too.  Heard the American made ones were even worse.  
VW has never been the same since they started cooling them with water.

Aloha
Peter

>From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
>Reply-To: [email-masked]
>To: Ivan Van Laningham <[email-masked]>
>CC: [email-masked]
>Subject: Re: LRO: Newswire headline
>Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 00:38:09 -0500 (CDT)
>
>On Thu, 10 May 2001, Ivan Van Laningham wrote:
>
>:A couple of months ago, my brother sent me the URL (since lost) of the
>:ten worst cars ever made.  I'm sure you can find it if you try hard.  We
>:figured out that, between the two of us, we had owned so many of the
>:cars on that list that we did not wish to add up the exact numbers.
>:There are some things humans aren't meant to know.
>
>Cartalk did a list like this, which includes nothing British.  The vega and
>gremlin are both on it.
>http://cartalk.cars.com/About/Worst-Cars/results1.html
>
>
>David:
>
>--
>[email-masked]
>Bipedalism is only a fad.
>

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 22:35:24 -0400
From: William L Leacock <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Austin rims

I do not know about the Gypsy rims, but Austin made a range of light
trucks, called the LD, the rims from these vehicles were 5.5 inches, with
the same bolt pattern as the LR  the offset was perhaps an inch more than
the LR, thus giving superior clearance to the tyre and spring, permitting
the lock stops to be discarded and the swivels modified to reduce the
turning circle. They stopped making the truck in the sixties. The outer
edge of the tyre was in the same position as the forward control rim.
Years ago I posted a list of dimensions for these and the Land Rover rims
on the digest. I guess the info is also buried somewhere in my archives,
should someone be in need of more accurate info.

Regards from Western New York State

  Bill Leacock.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 06:16:01 -0600
From: "Jim Hall" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Re: Koenig Winches

He said he doesn't have any, sorry.

Hope Peter wrote:
> 
> > I'll ask Ike Goss, who is stopping by today on his way to California. He
> > used to have at least a couple.
> >
> 
> Thanks Jim.
> btw, what are Koenigs worth?
> I mean I love mine, just think it's neat, but if I could get enough out of
> it to get e new warn or ramsey I would consider it.
> Pete

- -- 
Jim Hall
1966 88" Elephant Chaser
http://www.users.qwest.net/~jimfoo
"You know, I never really damaged my Rover 'till I started wheeling 
with Jim." Mitch Stockdale

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 08:16:35 -0400
From: "RON WARD" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Newswire headline

There's one in Columbus, Georgia where I live.  It's like some weird morph on a range rover from a distance.  This one is pretty special though.  It has that yellow, burnt orange, brown rainbow paint job that is so popular now.  I think it is on a cherokee or other chassis just because the thing sits so high (mickey thompson baja mudders at the corners).  Yikes.

>>> [email-masked] 05/10/01 07:51PM >>>
I've always thought it would be cool to lift an AMC Eagle and put big mudders
on it.  Everyone I've known who had one of those cars loved it.

Casey

"N Forbes" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> They made a diesel Tempo? I know of a four wheel drive one nearby and I 
> thought that was weird. Wait a sec, a four wheel drive, diesel tempo. Cool.

> You could add a snorkel and a bull bar and some big mud flaps.

____________________________________________________________________
Get free email and a permanent address at http://www.amexmail.com/?A=1

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 09:21:07 -0400
From: "RON WARD" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Newswire headline

I'm proud of this list of vehicles;

1972 VW Beetle (wrecked)
1974 VW Super Beetle (engine from above)
1978(?) Ford Mustang II (shudder)
1982 Mazda GLC (burned to the ground in traffic in Athens, GA)
1981 Honda Accord LX (over 150,000 hard miles)
1988 Isuzu Trooper LS (4-cyl - best truck I ever owned)
1990 VW Jetta GLI 16v (against advice of girlfriend traded Trooper for it)
1992 Volvo 240 GL (slow, 'nuff said)
1994 BMW 525i (slow, too nice)
1978 VW Super Beetle convertible (summer fun car, sold it -made $500)
1987 BMW 535is (fast, 132,000miles)
1996 GMC Sierra Z71 (brought my first kid home from the hospital in it)
1985 Porsche 911 Carrera (WOW - totaled a week after I sold it to a Dr.)
1993 Toyota Landcruiser (sold the Z71 to buy wife's Volvo V70 - I got hers)
1998 Volvo V70 (only brand new car in the bunch - belongs to SWMBO)
1995 Land Rover Range Rover LWB (bad VC and didn't even no it)
1965 Land Rover Series IIa 88" (still got it - love it)
1993 Land Rover NAS Defender 110 (hated it, sold for a profit)
1995 Land Rover Range Rover SWB (current truck - love it)

They say the first step in beating an addiction is admitting you have one.

>>> [email-masked] 05/11/01 03:35AM >>>
Why is it I owned most of the cars on this list at one time or another.  The 
only one I'd argue with is the VW Bus.  Owned 4 of the bus's and took them 
everywhere.  The only places they wouldn't go, took tricked out 4wd to get 
there.  Once you got there, you didn't have to worry about a place to sleep. 
  Even lived in my '69 camper for 6 months long before being homeless was 
Chic.  Of course they were a little slow but not slower than a series truck. 
  Remember what a hot rod I thought the '73 bus was with the pancake engine 
and something like 75hp.  Drove that truck coast to coast twice.   Towed a 
trailer loaded with most of the parts for our Westsail from Va. to Ca.  
Trailer weighed as much as the bus which was loaded to the roof rack, as 
well.  Finally sold it after 13 years and 140,000 miles having done nothing 
but one brake job, swapped the dual carbs for an American 4 barrel, and 
replaced the Michelin X's twice.  Now that was a reliable car and it 
delivered 21mpg.

The Dauphin was another story.  Something like 5,000 miles between valve 
jobs.  I must be somewhat deranged as I liked the Chevette and even thought 
about trading mine in on a diesel Chevette.  The AMC Gremlin was given to me 
and you shouldn't look a gift Gremlin in the radiator.  It should have been 
enough to convince me I didn't want another AMC product but made the mistake 
of buying A Cherokee when they first came out.  BIG mistake.

One car that should have been on the list is the VW Rabbit.  Owned two of 
them.  The first, a gas one, burned a quart of oil every 500 miles.  The 
dealer told me, with a straight face, that the warranty only kicked in when 
consumption exceded a quart every 200 miles.  Traded that in for a diesel 
which blew up with less than 40,000 miles after eating up just about 
everything else mechanical along the way.  Car was so low to the ground and 
suspension so poor that we kept holing the oil pan.  We ditched it right 
after the warranty ran out as it spent most of its early life at the dealer 
for such minor problems as an engine rebuild at 2,000 miles.  This was a 
made in Germany Rabbit, too.  Heard the American made ones were even worse.  
VW has never been the same since they started cooling them with water.

Aloha
Peter

>From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
>Reply-To: [email-masked] 
>To: Ivan Van Laningham <[email-masked]>
>CC: [email-masked] 
>Subject: Re: LRO: Newswire headline
>Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 00:38:09 -0500 (CDT)
>
>On Thu, 10 May 2001, Ivan Van Laningham wrote:
>
>:A couple of months ago, my brother sent me the URL (since lost) of the
>:ten worst cars ever made.  I'm sure you can find it if you try hard.  We
>:figured out that, between the two of us, we had owned so many of the
>:cars on that list that we did not wish to add up the exact numbers.
>:There are some things humans aren't meant to know.
>
>Cartalk did a list like this, which includes nothing British.  The vega and
>gremlin are both on it.
>http://cartalk.cars.com/About/Worst-Cars/results1.html 
>
>
>David:
>
>--
>[email-masked] 
>Bipedalism is only a fad.
>

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com 

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 08:31:49 -0500 (CDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Newswire headline

On Thu, 10 May 2001, Peter Ogilvie wrote:

:
:One car that should have been on the list is the VW Rabbit.  Owned two of 
:them.  The first, a gas one, burned a quart of oil every 500 miles.  The 
:dealer told me, with a straight face, that the warranty only kicked in when 
:consumption exceded a quart every 200 miles.  Traded that in for a diesel 
:which blew up with less than 40,000 miles after eating up just about 
:everything else mechanical along the way.  Car was so low to the ground and 
:suspension so poor that we kept holing the oil pan.  We ditched it right 
:after the warranty ran out as it spent most of its early life at the dealer 
:for such minor problems as an engine rebuild at 2,000 miles.  This was a 
:made in Germany Rabbit, too.  Heard the American made ones were even worse.  
:VW has never been the same since they started cooling them with water.

I had a VW Pickup (It's a rabbit that instead of having a back seat
had a pickup bed - the El Camino of economy cars.) when I was in high
school.  It wasn't a stellar car, but it did run and run.  It also
got about 40 MPG, and would have been competition for an 88 in a drag
race.  I did the brakes once, had the front end fixed and the frame
straightened after hitting a mailbox (the mailbox was fine...)[1], the
glow plugs moe times than I care to think about, some electrical bits.
My parents got rid of it recently, with 200K on it with no engine work.
It still ran, but needed brake pipes, some things like that.  Original
clutch, even.

It did do one truely bizarre thing once.  My mother got one of the front
struts to stick in the fully compressed position.  I have no idea how, and
i've never seen anything like that.  The shop put a torch on it, and it
popped free.

David

[1]  In defence of the car, the mailbox was mounted on a hardwood post from
a barn, about 12 inches square.  I rotated the truck 270 around the post,
using the driver's side front wheel as the pivot point.  

- -- 
[email-masked]
Bipedalism is only a fad.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 10:31:55 -0400
From: "A. P. \"Sandy\" Grice" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Planned obsolescence

"Jean-Leon Morin" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>Not knocking ford, look at any early to mid 80's domestically produced and
>engineered compact. You'll see...

>K car/Omni. (shudder)
>Tempo/Escort. (shudder)
>Beretta/Corsica/Cavalier (I'll stop now)

They were still at it well into the 90's....

Had to troubleshoot an electrical problem on my daughter's boyfriend's car,
a '92 Olds.  Cutlass or somesuch with a transverse V-6.  There isn't room
under that bonnet to squeeze in a can of sardines!  To get to the battery
or fuse box, you have to unbolt some frame stiffener....

Anyway, down where the body, chassis and bulkhead (or what would pass for
one) come together, there is this recess revealed when you open the doors.
Absolutely perfectly designed to catch/keep debris, road salt, moisture and
whatnot in a location where these could do the most damage in the shortest
amount of time.  This debris trap was so perfect, it had to be *designed*
that way.  No way anybody could be that stupid....  Is it any wonder Olds
is folding?

  *----jeep may be famous, LAND-ROVER is Legendary----*
  |                                                   |
  |             A. P. ("Sandy") Grice                 |
  |    Rover Owners' Association of Virginia, Ltd.    |
  |    1633 Melrose Pkwy., Norfolk, VA 23508-1730     |
  |(O)757-622-7054, (H)757-423-4898, FAX 757-622-7056 |
  |                 www.roav.org                      |
  |   (original owner)        (pre-production)        | 
  *----1972 Series III------1996 Discovery SE-7(m)----*

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 10:31:54 -0400
From: "A. P. \"Sandy\" Grice" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Sounding off

"Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>A nice addition to the getup is a piece of copper or whathaveyou tubing
>that can be used as a rigid end - makes it easier to get into tight places.

That's exactly what I did - about 18" of copper tube - 'cept with a
'disposable' stethoscope a med student nicked for me 25 years ago.  You can
pinpoint individual tappets, locate leaks and identify bogus bearings....

...and damn if I didn't just break that stethoscope two days ago....

  *----jeep may be famous, LAND-ROVER is Legendary----*
  |                                                   |
  |             A. P. ("Sandy") Grice                 |
  |    Rover Owners' Association of Virginia, Ltd.    |
  |    1633 Melrose Pkwy., Norfolk, VA 23508-1730     |
  |(O)757-622-7054, (H)757-423-4898, FAX 757-622-7056 |
  |                 www.roav.org                      |
  |   (original owner)        (pre-production)        | 
  *----1972 Series III------1996 Discovery SE-7(m)----*

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 14:24:46 -0400
From: "Robert A. Virzi" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: British Build Quality

I guess I would put this in the category, the more things change, the 
more they stay the same.

Rolls-Royce Recalls Vehicles After One Explodes
The Associated Press
Published: May 11, 2001
WASHINGTON (AP) - Rolls-Royce Motor Cars Inc. is recalling five 
models after a brand new car exploded at a Michigan dealership. The 
recall affects 2000 and 2001 models of the Corniche and Bentley Azure 
and Continental T, R and SC. Only 539 of those vehicles were made and 
408 were sold in the United States. The explosion occurred after a 
dealership technician put the first tank of gas in a $360,000 2001 
Corniche convertible that had just arrived from the British assembly 
plant. As the technician drove away from the pump and hit a switch to 
roll up the windows, the explosion blew out the windows and damaged 
the convertible top and interior. The technician and another person 
standing nearby suffered minor injuries, according to a company 
spokesman. The Corniche was shipped back to England and Rolls-Royce 
engineers found the electric current from the power windows ignited 
fuel vapors that had entered the car. Rolls Royce has notified owners 
that its dealers will fix the problem by adding an extension pipe to 
vent all vapors outside the vehicle.

------------------------------

Date: 11 May 2001 15:11:20 -0500
From: george kase <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Series III engine bay enlargement?

Can one mount a Defender radiator mount and hood arrangement on
a Series III truck with the series fenders or do the fenders 
need to be Defender as well? Thinking of more room for a V8...
Thanks
George

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 22:39:16 +0100
From: "Phil Norris" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: Series III engine bay enlargement?

There are conversion kits available adertised in the UK mags.
I've an early 110 and it's more series in the body than some series' I've
come across!!
Brgds
PhilN
- -----Original Message-----
From: george kase <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 May 2001 21:38
Subject: LRO: Series III engine bay enlargement?

>Can one mount a Defender radiator mount and hood arrangement on
>a Series III truck with the series fenders or do the fenders
>need to be Defender as well? Thinking of more room for a V8...
>Thanks
>George
>
>
>

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 15:15:38 -0700
From: Paul Quin <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: RE: Series III engine bay enlargement?

Moving the grill forward is pretty straight forward.  Oops, a pun.   Don't
forget about the front frame cross member.  This may have to be moved
forward too.

Paul in Vicotria.

	-----Original Message-----

	Can one mount a Defender radiator mount and hood arrangement on
	a Series III truck with the series fenders or do the fenders 
	need to be Defender as well? Thinking of more room for a V8...
	Thanks
	George

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 22:34:51 -0400
From: Stephen West-Fisher <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Solex Rebuilt and Leaking Problem

RON WARD wrote:
> 
> How is the float adjusted?
> 

Bend it.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 20:15:43 -0400
From: Nick Danger <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Keeping the heat out and letting the sun in!

The warm weather has be looking at my rover in a whole new light. After a 
cold winter (I got the Series III in October) I thought the inside was cold. 
After a hot day and driving I cant believe how much heat is coming in from 
the front and bottom of the footwells! Any ideas on just how to keep this 
heat out? The carpets are aftermarket (or should I say 'After office' as they 
look like someones office rubber mat cut to fit sloppily) but I didnt think 
just laying down new carpets would do it. (or would it?) I DID apply a new 
heat sheild on the exhaust manifold and change to a summer thermostat.

Now for the other biggie - anyone have some leads on a good used soft top? 
I'd love to take the top off for the summer but the occasional downpour and 
the fact that the Rover is my only transportation has me thinking I'd better 
get SOME way to drive if it starts to rain. 

Thanks All!

- -Nick

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 17:43:05 -0700
From: George Simmons <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: 2 Land Rover related questions

1...Will someone explain to me why some vehicles originally were
positive ground and now all are negative ground.  Land Rover
switched over 1969ish.

2...I have a collection of Lucas distributors.  If you hold one
in your hand some have the vacuum connection on the left (left
handed) and some have it on the right (right handed).  All my
running Rovers have left handed ones.  What do the right handed
ones fit?  Are some of the parts interchangeable and where would
I find that information?

George in Auburn

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 May 01 19:17:10 -0700
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: Re: Series III engine bay enlargement?

>Can one mount a Defender radiator mount and hood arrangement on
>a Series III truck with the series fenders or do the fenders
>need to be Defender as well? Thinking of more room for a V8...

There is plenty of space side to side for a small block V8 or V6.

There is space front to rear for a V6.  There is space front to rear for 
a V8 if you move the radiator crossmember forward an inch and rework the 
bellhousing indentation in the bulkhead.

But if you want you can swap in a Defender front clip to give the series 
a more Defender kind of luck.

But a small block V8 does indeed feed very nicely inside a series engine 
compartment using series panels.

TeriAnn Wakeman               Marigold Ltd.
Santa Cruz, California        Web design, site updating, testing
[email-masked]      search engine optimization, graphics
                              and more

http://www.overlander.net/Marigold/index.html

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 21:25:31 -0700
From: "Gerry Elam" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: SIII for sale.....88", both tops, AZ/SoCAL vehicle/not cheap/not mine.   :-)

Several months ago, I spotted an exceptionally clean SIII close to work.  
Like every other LRO, I left my card on it and the guy called me the next 
morning.  We met later the next day and boy, is it a nice SIII.  Put a bug 
in his ear that if he ever wanted to sell it, he should let me know hoping 
he might let it go for a reasonable price.

Well, he must have picked up a Hemmings recently because he decided to sell 
it............ for $17K.

Who knows, maybe some of you made a fortune in techs before they tanked and 
you're looking for an exceptional LR.  This may be for you!

This is a 1972 Series III and it's beautiful.  One owner, lots of extras, 
lots of investments made.  In his own words:

"It has been in either So. Cal. or AZ almost all its life.  In AZ 23 years 
and garaged for the last 17.

I put a $17K price on it for the following reasons: it is in extremely
good shape for a vehicle with this number of miles and also because it comes 
with lots of extras such as soft and hard top, original rear jump seats, 
original 1970s roof rack, lots of parts for the on going restoration 
project.  Lots of seals, a complete set of brakes.  Three sets of rims: the 
original 15 inch import rims, OEM 16 inch rims, and 15 inch spoke rims. I 
replaced all the brake drums since they had been turned down to below specs. 
  Replaced a rear axle seal.  I have done some intake modifications but kept 
the original carburetor
and exhaust manifold.  I redid the front seats but kept the original in case 
someone wanted to put it back to original.  Original shop manual, original 
bill of sale and even the original brochure.  It has dual tanks.  It has a 
Fairey overdrive.  The engine has about 30K miles on the rebuild and the 
transmission has less than 10K.  Over the last 4 years I have put nearly $8K 
into restoration work.  Redoing almost all seals.  New starter, water pump, 
rebuilt the front end, rear main seal, rebuilt transmission, new H2O temp 
gauge, new speedometer and cable, Weber single barrel carburetor, Clifford 
exhaust manifold, new
exhaust system.  So many things I would have to go back and look at the
invoice of parts.  The work was done by a mechanic who worked at Scottsdale 
Land Rover.

As we were going through the vehicle we checked the condition of gears,
compression, etc.  We found everything to be in extremely good shape given 
the age, the miles driven and the number of off road miles on the vehicle.

It runs stronger and faster than when it was new.  And, as I'm sure you
know, parts are easier to get now than any point in the last 30 years.

I've owned this rig for more than half my life so this is not easy.
*****************************************
I've got pictures if you would like to see it and I have the owner's e-mail 
address at work.  $17k is a lot for a Series III but if you want one that's 
in great shape, this might be for you!

Cheers,
Gerry Elam, K7LRO
PHX AZ

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 09:19:49 -0700
From: "Paul Quin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: 2 Land Rover related questions

> 1...Will someone explain to me why some vehicles originally were
> positive ground and now all are negative ground.  Land Rover
> switched over 1969ish.
>

Vehicles with a body coloured instrument panel were originally positive
ground.  Black instrument panel means negative ground.

Why originally positive?  Why do the Brit's drive on the left?  I think that
there was some slight electrical logic to it, but a spark plug doesn't
really care which direction the electrons are flowing.  Your stereo sure
does though, I think that's the reason most people have converted + ground
vehicles to - ground.

Paul in Victoria.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 17:08:07 +0100
From: "Frank Elson" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: Re: Series III engine bay enlargement?

You just need a Ninety/110 breakfast and bonnet et voila!
Best Cheers

Frank
    +--+--+--+            
     I !__|  [_]|_\___   
     I ____|"_|"__|_ | /     B791 PKV 
     "(o)======(o)"    Bronze Green 110 CSW

- ----- Original Message ----- 
From: Phil Norris <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2001 10:39 PM
Subject: LRO: Re: Series III engine bay enlargement?

> There are conversion kits available adertised in the UK mags.
> I've an early 110 and it's more series in the body than some series' I've
> come across!!
> Brgds
> PhilN
> -----Original Message-----
> From: george kase <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
> Date: 11 May 2001 21:38
> Subject: LRO: Series III engine bay enlargement?
> 
> 
> >Can one mount a Defender radiator mount and hood arrangement on
> >a Series III truck with the series fenders or do the fenders
> >need to be Defender as well? Thinking of more room for a V8...
> >Thanks
> >George
> >
> >
> >
> 
> 

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 21:29:19 +0100
From: "John Bridgett" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: RE: Re: 2 Land Rover related questions

>>Why originally positive?<<
There were some body corrosion angles to positive ground, can't remember the
exact science behind it though :-(

>>Why do the Brit's drive on the left?<<
Because it's SAFER ! Research has been done to show that because the
majority of people are right-handed they have better control of a steering
wheel if they use their right hand during gear changing etc. Driving on the
right would mean left hand on the wheel during gear changing which is not as
good control wise.

So we did it right for once, even you yanks use our language, it's about
time you change over to driving on the left. To help avoid confusion I
suggest that on a date to be decided, heavy goods vehicles change over first
say before 12 noon and then all other vehicles after that.

Regards - JB

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 17:05:56 EDT
From: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: LRO: RE: Re: 2 Land Rover related questions

In a message dated 5/12/01 4:32:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> even you yanks use our language,
Are you absolutely sure about this?

Ed Bailey
66 S2A SWB (Millennium Falcon)
Somewhere in East Tennessee

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 14:21:35 -0700
From: "Paul Quin" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Re: RE: Re: 2 Land Rover related questions

> >>Why do the Brit's drive on the left?<<
> Because it's SAFER ! Research has been done to show that because the
> majority of people are right-handed they have better control of a steering
> wheel if they use their right hand during gear changing etc. Driving on
the
> right would mean left hand on the wheel during gear changing which is not
as
> good control wise.

This is good logic, but you all were driving (horses) on the left a century
before it was necessary to change gears...   There was a rumour that it
actually dates back to Roman times, but I can't remember the details...

Paul in Victoria (Canada so I'm not a yank!!)  :-)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 14:17:49 -0700
From: Jeff Bieler <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: RE: Re: 2 Land Rover related questions

>>Why do the Brit's drive on the left?<<
=> Ever since the British soldiers started singing "A World Turned Upside Down"
while losing our Revolutionary War, they've been struggling ever since....  ;-}

Jeff

John Bridgett wrote:

> >>Why originally positive?<<
> There were some body corrosion angles to positive ground, can't remember the
> exact science behind it though :-(
>
> >>Why do the Brit's drive on the left?<<
> Because it's SAFER ! Research has been done to show that because the
> majority of people are right-handed they have better control of a steering
> wheel if they use their right hand during gear changing etc. Driving on the
> right would mean left hand on the wheel during gear changing which is not as
> good control wise.
>
> So we did it right for once, even you yanks use our language, it's about
> time you change over to driving on the left. To help avoid confusion I
> suggest that on a date to be decided, heavy goods vehicles change over first
> say before 12 noon and then all other vehicles after that.
>
> Regards - JB

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 18:07:06 -0700
From: George Simmons <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: Speedometer repair help

Back in mid-December someone posted the following instructions to
the list.  I'm having a problem and need help.  Please contact me
off list.

George in Auburn CA

"1. Remove the speedo from the case, remove the pointer on the
face and
remove the face Gently is the trick here - don't force anything
and you
will be fine.
2. CLean out all the lube in the beast - Q-tip and cotton swab
w/a good
solvent works fine. So does spraying with electronic flux remover
or the
like - I've done it both ways.
3. Make sure the magnet cup and magnet are clear of all debris -
when
you
spin the speedo by hand the cup should move slightly. Also, if
you touch
the cup it should rock back and fortrh from the rest position. If
it
doesn't find out why - this could be the problem.
4. Lubricant should be nothing but a light instrument oil - and
damn
little
of that. I use 3-in-1 or sewing machine oil or things like that -
if you
can get clock oil that is ideal.
5.  Reassemble and test. To reset the pointer position put on the
face,
then note the spot just below the ) mark where there are two dots
close
together right out at the tip of the pointer. Push the pointer
back on so that it
sits at that point at rest, then pull back thezero stop, push the
pointer
gently past it, and allow the zero stop to retract back into
place. This 
sets the spring preload...

If the odometer works and the magnet spins then all that is
likely wrong
is that something has stuck the pointer cup and drive in place.
Should be a 
matter of clean and test..."

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 21:43:26 -0400
From: "Lee Jones" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LRO: RE: Re: RE: Re: 2 Land Rover related questions

I had heard that it was because the Romans could drive on the left, hold the
reins in their left hand and use their swords on the heathen Brits with
their right hand..... :-)

Lee

- -----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of Paul Quin
Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2001 5:22 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: LRO: Re: RE: Re: 2 Land Rover related questions

> >>Why do the Brit's drive on the left?<<
> Because it's SAFER ! Research has been done to show that because the
> majority of people are right-handed they have better control of a steering
> wheel if they use their right hand during gear changing etc. Driving on
the
> right would mean left hand on the wheel during gear changing which is not
as
> good control wise.

This is good logic, but you all were driving (horses) on the left a century
before it was necessary to change gears...   There was a rumour that it
actually dates back to Roman times, but I can't remember the details...

Paul in Victoria (Canada so I'm not a yank!!)  :-)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 16:25:21 -1000
From: "Peter Ogilvie" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: RE: Re: RE: Re: 2 Land Rover related questions

Another story is the knights carried their lances in their right hands and 
most fought with their swords in their right hands so they wanted to pass on 
left to be ready for an attack.  Remember, their was no telling when Robin 
and his merrie band would be the oncoming traffic.

If if it wasn't for this discussion of the British and Japanese propensity 
for driving on the wrong side of the road, this would be the deadest day for 
the list, ever.  Guess I'm going to have to go out and break something so we 
can get a lively discussion going.  Too bad sex and politics are not 
customary topics in wardroom conversation.

Aloha
Peter

>From: "Lee Jones" <[email-masked]>
>Reply-To: [email-masked]
>To: <[email-masked]>
>Subject: LRO: RE: Re: RE: Re: 2 Land Rover related questions
>Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 21:43:26 -0400
>
>I had heard that it was because the Romans could drive on the left, hold 
>the
>reins in their left hand and use their swords on the heathen Brits with
>their right hand..... :-)
>
>Lee
>
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
>Behalf Of Paul Quin
>Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2001 5:22 PM
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: LRO: Re: RE: Re: 2 Land Rover related questions
>
>
> > >>Why do the Brit's drive on the left?<<
> > Because it's SAFER ! Research has been done to show that because the
> > majority of people are right-handed they have better control of a 
>steering
> > wheel if they use their right hand during gear changing etc. Driving on
>the
> > right would mean left hand on the wheel during gear changing which is 
>not
>as
> > good control wise.
>
>This is good logic, but you all were driving (horses) on the left a century
>before it was necessary to change gears...   There was a rumour that it
>actually dates back to Roman times, but I can't remember the details...
>
>Paul in Victoria (Canada so I'm not a yank!!)  :-)
>
>
>

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 22:40:40 -0500 (CDT)
From: David Scheidt <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LRO: RE: Re: RE: Re: 2 Land Rover related questions

On Sat, 12 May 2001, Peter Ogilvie wrote:

:If if it wasn't for this discussion of the British and Japanese propensity 
:for driving on the wrong side of the road, this would be the deadest day for 
:the list, ever.  Guess I'm going to have to go out and break something so we 
:can get a lively discussion going.  Too bad sex and politics are not 
:customary topics in wardroom conversation.
:

I did that for you.  I left my keys to the rover at a friend's place a
couple weeks ago, and just got them back today.  Went out to start the
thing, and the battery is flat.  the battery is a POS that a buddy gave me
when the previous one wouldn't hold a charge, so I wasn't too shocked.
Whipped out the starting handle, and gave it a spin.  Remembered the carb
leaks down, so I ppumped the fuel pump lever a couple times.  Fought with
the crank for a bit -- Kickback on that handle is really impressive!  

Got it started, checked the output of the alternator, 14.3  VDC, looks good.
Hopped in drove for a little bit, pulled into a parking space and it just
stopped running.  Opened the hood to look at things, it starts pouring.
Close the hood, go inside, get coffee.  Wait for the rain to stop, clean and
tighten all the things I can get to from the top, and the dash lights work,
if rather dimly.  Starter won't turn of course, so I wait for a jump.  The
starter still won't turn, so I hand crank it for a bit.  It just won't fire
up, so we push start it, which works first try -- in reverse, even.  

Get it home, and the battery is dead, dead, dead.  4 V or so.  

So, it looks like I'm gonna be spending money on a battery, the horror.  
What do people like these days?  I'm not a big fan of gel cells, for reasons
I don't feel I need to explain.   

David, glad it got me home.  
- -- 
[email-masked]
Bipedalism is only a fad.

------------------------------

End of LRO Mailing List DIGEST * * * * V1 #374
**********************************************