Re: LRO: Re: RE: Re: 2 Land Rover related questions

From: Peter Ogilvie (konacoffee2@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun May 13 2001 - 15:32:06 EDT

    We've got a road that goes across the valley between Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea
    called Saddle Road. The road was originally built by the military in WWII
    and probably hasn't been resurfaced since it was paved sometime in the last
    millenium. My son used to describe it as a one lane road with patches along
    both sides. Only way to drive this road is in the center until forced to
    give way to oncoming traffic. BIG problem is a lot of Yahoos in lifted,
    big wheel trucks insist on taking the center lane even around blind turns.
    The only relatively safe time to take the road is at night when you can see
    the oncoming headlights before the vehicle. The lights at least encourage
    the Yahoos to consider moving over. To make it more interesting, about a
    1/4 of the road, the worst quarter, is normally embedded in the clouds so
    visibility is cut to a few hundred feet and the surface slippery.

    Another local trait that increases excitement is the refusal to turn on
    headlights until an hour after sunset or midnight, which ever comes last.
    Don't know why our native born think turning on the lights, to be seen, is a
    sign of a lack of testosterone. Its not that they don't realize a need as
    they often turn on their parking lights. Now parking lights are parking
    lights, a detent on the switch to keep you from getting rammed in the rear
    while stopped. They do precious little to increase your visibility to
    oncoming vehicles. I've even had helpful souls flash their lights on and
    off to tell me that my lights are on. This is often when the wipers are on
    max fast (not in a Rover, obviously) and visibility down to a few feet in
    driving rain. Does it ever occur to them that the reason they knew I was
    there because they saw headlights long before they could see the car??

    Needless to say the accident rate is very high and fatalities per accident
    even higher.

    Aloha
    Peter